GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I agree with the over-tech for basic controls. It’s a bad move in regards to muscle memory and cognitive load especially since your eyes should be on the road. Take said bad UX/heuristics practices then mix them in with life threatening unpredictability of daily driving and it’s settlements galore.
These kinds of interfaces are best suited for autonomous vehicles; I predict the mk8.5 will have some knobs and buttons for redundancy.
That said, are there any ideas yet on how mod friendly these new cars are going to be relative to the mk7?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I agree with the over-tech for basic controls. It’s a bad move in regards to muscle memory and cognitive load especially since your eyes should be on the road. Take said bad UX/heuristics practices then mix them in with life threatening unpredictability of daily driving and it’s settlements galore.
These kinds of interfaces are best suited for autonomous vehicles; I predict the mk8.5 will have some knobs and buttons for redundancy.
That said, are there any ideas yet on how mod friendly these new cars are going to be relative to the mk7?
What mods can be done will be down to control modules allowing things I’d have thought, mechanical stuff shouldn’t be to far off the Mk7 seeing that the EA888 and MQB chassis will still be in use, I think under the different shape body panels it’s basically a heavily facelifted MK7 going by what I’ve seen and read so far! Much like the Mk5 and Mk6 were basically the same car with different styling.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Every new generation of the Golf/GTI/R people say how its so ugly. The world goes on and people's preference changes or they get used to it.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Every new generation of the Golf/GTI/R people say how its so ugly. The world goes on and people's preference changes or they get used to it.
Absolutely true that!

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I used to think the 7 was god awful and looked like a minivan now I love it. Since this is using the same chassis and EA88 how are they squeaking so much more power out of it? New internals? Software tune?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Looks pretty decent like this
It does but no way its gonna come flush and with small wheel gaps like that :D

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
did someone say an option for wingback seats?? That would make me get one despite the unibrow headlights and grille. So far to my knowledge no wingback GTI/R seats have been released in american cars, only the lucky euro people get those and they are impossible to get here.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

Not always true.

MK1 - don’t remember when it came out, liked it since I can remember. Still like today.

MK2 - liked when it came out still like today.

MK3 - MK5 - nope.

MK6 - was indifferent, tolerate now

Mk7 - liked from get go, loved the mk7.5

MK8 - will give a chance but that interior kills me because WOW TECH! THE TWINSTABOOK PEEPS GONNA GO CRAZY DOH!

That quartering shot looks like a cross between Mike Tyson and Pumbaa. (I’m old enough to know a car’s eyes are the headlights, not the windshield... thanks Pixar for effing our children up)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
did someone say an option for wingback seats?? That would make me get one despite the unibrow headlights and grille. So far to my knowledge no wingback GTI/R seats have been released in american cars, only the lucky euro people get those and they are impossible to get here.
7EFE26AF-C76E-4818-83A2-80C31E28EF8D.jpeg

391D6401-F8C9-478F-B541-C19EA81938AE.jpeg

340015F7-852F-4CF8-AD26-D7FB4CB718FD.jpeg

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I cannot get used to the interior if it looks like that. (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m a hater by nature and I love the look of the car, haha. I wanted to hate it; partially because I’ll still owe a lot on my 7 by the time it comes here. I’ll be smart and wait for the special edition this time (i.e. Clubsport). Or just make my 7 an is38 and wait for mk9. The best ones come in odd numbers ?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I’m a hater by nature and I love the look of the car, haha. I wanted to hate it; partially because I’ll still owe a lot on my 7 by the time it comes here. I’ll be smart and wait for the special edition this time (i.e. Clubsport). Or just make my 7 an is38 and wait for mk9. The best ones come in odd numbers ?
I'll probably wait for the 8.5 since I have a 7.5 (the plan is to go from 7.5 GTI to 8.5 R). I feel like the refreshed version is the best time to get in, as it will correct many of the shortcomings of the initial release and just be more refined overall.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
In my 4.5 that was definitely the case, the 7 I’m not so sure as I think it’s mostly cosmetic. I also like the 7 bumper and lights better. The 7.5 styling is the same across all VW models now.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I did a quick edit to see how it would look without the "eyelash." Still indifferent on it with or without. I think some of the issue is the shape of the headlight itself

Attachments

• No eeyelash.jpg
    No eeyelash.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 198

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I did a quick edit to see how it would look without the "eyelash." Still indifferent on it with or without. I think some of the issue is the shape of the headlight itself

alot of it is the drop down in the nose, they supposedly did this for aerodynamics but it's got a strange look. It causes the front end to look good at certain angles and weird at others.