GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Littco l380 Turbo Questions

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
From IS38 to L380 - not sure if it's really worth it (other than the benefits of the added reliability and piece of mind with the Littco unit)

If you have a newer version of the IS38, I'd just keep it as is or go straight to EQT BT.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Sadly, there is no e85 locally here where i live so thats outta the question. otherwise i'd be doing that instead of looking for a bigger turbo option. Only 93 is available around here. I was considering just going full blown eqt turbo and tune but like i stated im not sure exactly what else i would need to do so. Not well informed on big turbo upgrades

So if you want to make 400+ without E85 and you already have a FBO car, swap the IS38 for a Vortex with an HPFP and go Cobb with EQT.

I assume you already have an APR TCU tune so update that to the stage 3 file for just a flash fee and call it a day.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I think with every platform there is a horsepower point where the cost goes way up and reliability goes way down for only small increments in additional horsepower. In C6 corvette that point seems to be about 700whp, in GTR world it looks like ~650whp etc.... and in the Mk7 world that point looks like ~450-475whp to me so I would not want to push my car much above the 450whp mark personally just because the additional 25-30whp is not worth the 5x more problems and cost

Like Diggs said, it's once you get in the 500+ whp range.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...and in the Mk7 world that point looks like ~450-475whp to me so I would not want to push my car much above the 450whp mark personally just because the additional 25-30whp is not worth the 5x more problems and cost

If you can get E85 locally I'd say put an HPFP on there and get an EQT tune on COBB for an E50 mix. You will be shocked at how much better the car feels on a good ethanol blend vs pump gas, it feels like an entirely different car in every way including faster turbo response and torque and everything....

It's too bad the OP doesn't have E close by, because a lot of what you have outlined here has been exactly my thinking as time has gone on with being on E40 EQT tune on stock IS38 on my R. I was right where Ed indicated I would be when I threw mine on the dyno...420whp (corrected...I'm at elevation)
Yes, I have already spent thousands on the Cobb AP, 2 tunes and all the bolt ons), but I was soooo close to pulling the trigger on the Vortex during the Boost Weather sale (was in my cart at least 3x ready to order). I even picked up a new LPFP to have PR modify and add the 450 kit. At the end of the day, I just couldn't justify spending the additional $4k (vortex, 2 maps, PR kit,$1k install) to bump HP 70-80ish more. Some of the issues that have cropped up for some running the bigger turbos scared me off to. The car rips as is with what I have done thus far, so until this IS38 blows up or I sell the car I'm sticking with the IS38

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Depends on how far you want to go. The best route is MPI+LPFP. Depending on the turbo 29psi might be plenty. Just know when you run out above 500whp the motor reliability goes way down.

Can confirm ?‍♂️?

This is the reason why I haven't went MPI and stayed on stock map boost levels. Too many hurt motors I'v seen for my liking when things get churned up.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
What @billbadass said. Couldn’t agree more, my car picked up 90-100whp from 91oct to e50 and i havent used 91oct since. E51 for 13k+ and still going. Nothing beats a nice eBlend. Thats only revision4 (out of 7) for flexfuel so it picked up some more power but i dont have it handy. Just look at that torque curve.

Attachments

• 7963585F-97CB-4CD6-9155-7FFC72080061.jpeg
    7963585F-97CB-4CD6-9155-7FFC72080061.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Sorry to piggyback off of this thread, but a quick question. I'm currently APR tuned IS38 and have recently installed a HPFP and am planning on getting a 93 octane tune and an ethanol tune via one of the tuners over the internet. . Would an IS38 be maxed out on E50, or could I run E100? I was thinking of swapping the LPFP with a Precision Raceworks 305 or DeatschWerks DW65V so I wouldn't need an external controller and would give me the capability of running full E85. Is that overkill for an IS38 and just leave it at E50, or go all out on E100?

Also, any thoughts on UM Proflex tune vs. two separate tunes using the COBB AP?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
How often do you plan to run ethanol or 93oct, ie switch fuels? (I havent used 91oct since i got ethanol tuned)

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Ethanol for track days or quick runs to Mexico, 93 for everything else. So every 3rd or so tank on ethanol. I'd really like to avoid getting a larger turbo and throwing a lot more money into it, at least for a few years since I just had a kid.