GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
So I am in the process of installing a soft chirp alarm in the car. I have the alarm horn unplugged and wanted to confirm polarity. So I reactivated honk on lock through OBD11 and when I went to lock it the horn went off. So I unplugged the horn and plugged the old alarm horn back in and locked it and that one went off.

Does it not work correctly when the hood is open or one of the 2 connectors not plugged in?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
So I am in the process of installing a soft chirp alarm in the car. I have the alarm horn unplugged and wanted to confirm polarity. So I reactivated honk on lock through OBD11 and when I went to lock it the horn went off. So I unplugged the horn and plugged the old alarm horn back in and locked it and that one went off.

Does it not work correctly when the hood is open or one of the 2 connectors not plugged in?

I'm guessing it's related to the hood status.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hey. New here. Purchased a mk6 with cold air intake, Intercooler ,stage 2 tuned and exhaust. For my 17 yr old son. It’s his first car. (I know. But I kinda wanted it too) is there any way to adjust rev limiter down to 3000. Need the kid to learn respect before he gets the full package.

3k seems kinda low IMO, like ugly said needs the tuner software to change rev limit. How bout a restrictor plate? Lol

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
Anyone else running a H&R front swaybar in an area where it gets cold? It's 9 degrees here today (Fahrenheit) and there was a lot of noise coming from my front end. At first it sounded like clunking but then I noticed it was more like a squeaky couch. I put on a lot of lube/grease on the bushings despite the claim that they didn't need any but i'm thinking it may still be them and wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
My H&R front and rear swaybars are on their second winter with out any changes in noise when the temperature dips in the winter. (The swaybars were purchased in fall of 2017, so I guess they fall into the "revised" version.)

GolNat

Autocross Champion

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How bout a restrictor plate? Lol

GolNat

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What happened? Honestly, I was a little confused as to what the question was. lol

I was going off memory from a old vortex thread and thought the horn by the fog light was the correct one. I found a DIY on here and it said it’s on the left side of the fender. Yep it is tucked up in fender on the left ?‍♂️. I’m keeping the siren mounted in the front and will just run the wires over.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I was going off memory from a old vortex thread and thought the horn by the fog light was the correct one. I found a DIY on here and it said it’s on the left side of the fender. Yep it is tucked up in fender on the left ?‍♂️. I’m keeping the siren mounted in the front and will just run the wires over.

Ah yea gotta love the German engineering. The mercedes used to have a lo tone, hi tone horn and some an additional ATA siren that had an internal battery. If you unplugged it it would go off forever.. And if the hood was open, you wouldn't get audio confirmation of locking.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Ah yea gotta love the German engineering. The mercedes used to have a lo tone, hi tone horn and some an additional ATA siren that had an internal battery. If you unplugged it it would go off forever.. And if the hood was open, you wouldn't get audio confirmation of locking.

Yeah it’s a little different then Honda’s which is my prior car knowledge. That’s how I would expect it to work but I was still getting the confirmation with the hood open and the alarm LED would flash. How are you armed if my hood is open!?!

Well I made a nice bracket (minus the weld lol) to mount the siren so it will stay in the bumper area and I’ll just run the wires up in the fender well or through the engine bay to the plug

99C4A71C-9FEE-4378-BA66-8DEC6D9921B8.jpeg

torga

Autocross Champion
Does replacing the thermostat on a CCTA pump require use of any liquid gaskets at all?

Thinking of swapping out the thermostat on my Graf pump with an OEM thermostat - heard a few people complain that the thermostat Graf ships with is junk. I can't find any repair procedures, but there is an o-ring involved. Wondering if the o-ring is all that's needed, or if I need an additional gasket.

torga

Autocross Champion
Any tips on removing the oil cooler gasket?

Mine is incredibly dried up and petrified. I had to dig 80% of it out with a knife (didn't have a good enough pick), but the remaining bit almost feels like it's fused to the groove. I've been cursing at this gasket for 30 minutes. I didn't expect this to be the shittiest part of the job, not by a long shot. It's in 5 pieces right now, with the 5th piece still stuck in the groove. The little tab that sticks out on some of the gaskets for ease of removal did fuck all - just ripped it off.

I swear, it's always the stupidest, most seemingly insignificant things on this car that refuse to cooperate.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Any tips on removing the oil cooler gasket?

Mine is incredibly dried up and petrified. I had to dig 80% of it out with a knife (didn't have a good enough pick), but the remaining bit almost feels like it's fused to the groove. I've been cursing at this gasket for 30 minutes. I didn't expect this to be the shittiest part of the job, not by a long shot. It's in 5 pieces right now, with the 5th piece still stuck in the groove. The little tab that sticks out on some of the gaskets for ease of removal did fuck all - just ripped it off.

I swear, it's always the stupidest, most seemingly insignificant things on this car that refuse to cooperate.

Maybe razor blade or pocket screw driver... pics? Probably finished by now but oh well

torga

Autocross Champion
Maybe razor blade or pocket screw driver... pics? Probably finished by now but oh well
Nope, still struggling with it... two hours after the oil cooler came off. The gasket alone has officially taken as long as the rest of this job. This is my progress so far. I've been able to remove about a centimeter more since my post. I'm getting incredibly angry at this damn gasket. Maybe I could heat it up with a lighter to get it to soften up a bit.
IMG_20200208_153642.jpg