GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB: 18x9" Lightweight wheels (New England area)

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Looking to pick up a set of 18x9" wheels before race season. Ideally under 19lbs per wheel, ~45mm offset. Anything considered for the right price!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
These are the cheapest under 19lb 18x9 et45ish wheels I've found new for STH, FWIW:
https://www.google.com/search?q=konig+rennform+18x9+5x112~$210ea

and these are around 19.5lbs and et42 for $775
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-ROTA-WHEEL-GRID-17X9-5X112-42-57-1-HYPERBLACK-LAST-SET/303308146483

Thanks for the recommendation. I've actually seen the Rennforms before, but honestly I'm not super thrilled on the look of them. Despite the fact that these will be race only wheels I could probably look past it, but I'd feel better if I liked the style. Without going to a full forged set, it sucks that reasonably priced 18x9 is so hard to come by.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I will say, I was sceptical of the Rennforms until I actually got them on the car. Like most things, they look different in person. Not as flat as they look in pictures.

But wheels are VERY subjective.

What style wheel do you like and that might help us give s better recommendation

How many spokes
Split spoke
Lip or no
Etc

Outside of custom or expensive, you're stuck with:
Konig Rennform

Konig Freeform
Konig Freeform

Motegi M131 (I think)

Various Neuspeed (but not as light as above)

One more option I forgot about is Audi TTS wheels, but their offset is 52 so you'll need spacers.
I think it's these
Audi TTS

Edit:

Just went through my bookmarks as I looked everywhere for light 18x9. So here's a few more

Sparco Pro Corsa (done think they're light though)
Sparco Pro Corsa

Fast Fc04 (40 offset)
Fast FC04

Rota Grid (again, not as light)
Rota Grid

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
CCW will make you just about anything you want, but they're not fast or cheap.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Do you know if those clear BBK's?

Assuming you meant the Rennform.

I needed a 3mm spacer for ST40 kit. I think that was the shop playing it safe though, which is fine by me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Assuming you meant the Rennform.

I needed a 3mm spacer for ST40 kit. I think that was the shop playing it safe though, which is fine by me.

Can you post a pic of how much clearance you have?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I will say, I was sceptical of the Rennforms until I actually got them on the car. Like most things, they look different in person. Not as flat as they look in pictures.

But wheels are VERY subjective.

What style wheel do you like and that might help us give s better recommendation

How many spokes
Split spoke
Lip or no
Etc

Outside of custom or expensive, you're stuck with:
Konig Rennform

Konig Freeform
Konig Freeform

Motegi M131 (I think)

Various Neuspeed (but not as light as above)

One more option I forgot about is Audi TTS wheels, but their offset is 52 so you'll need spacers.
I think it's these
Audi TTS

Edit:

Just went through my bookmarks as I looked everywhere for light 18x9. So here's a few more

Sparco Pro Corsa (done think they're light though)
Sparco Pro Corsa

Fast Fc04 (40 offset)
Fast FC04

Rota Grid (again, not as light)
Rota Grid

Thanks for the input! I had most of those wheels in my bookmarks as well, and the Rennform always come out as the best value (price and weight). The looks are slightly growing on me, and at the end of the day these will probably get beat up so it's all a moot point. The TTS wheels I didn't know about, thanks for that. I'll see if there are any other TTS fitments that might work.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Can you post a pic of how much clearance you have?

Was hard to get good pics and get idea of space. So had a super glue packet stuck in there as a frame of reference (very scientific I know ?). Basically couldn't push it any further on central side. So I guess really not that much room. And that's with a 3mm spacer. Looks like about 4-5mm of clearance. Without spacer it would be about 1-2mm
20200126_121451.jpg

20200126_122047.jpg

And here's another shot of the Rennforms.
20200126_123320.jpg

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Monkey, your response got me thinking about the FC04 in 18x9 ET40. Based on your experience with the ET45 Rennforms, do you think the extra 5mm of poke will make a huge difference on fender clearance?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Monkey, your response got me thinking about the FC04 in 18x9 ET40. Based on your experience with the ET45 Rennforms, do you think the extra 5mm of poke will make a huge difference on fender clearance?

I'm currently et42 with the spacers. I still rub occasionally. I'm sitting at 25 9/16" FTG. Also running 034 camber mounts. Don't have my alignment, but most with those mounts sit around -2.2-2.4 camber. I think 26" FTG would be perfect for no rubbing even at et40

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Interesting, I'm at 26.25" right now with my stock suspension, and my suspension going in will probably put be around 25.5". I have camber plates going in as well, so maybe the ET45 is a safer bet