GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

R^2

Ready to race!
A good short shifter with those bushings really makes a word of difference. Curious to hear how the APR kit feels.
The pendulum mount plus 034's upper & lower inserts made an immediate difference with my shift feel, primarily 1st engagement.

I was able to test it out a small amount while everything was apart set up how short I wanted to go - and it already feels insanely better. Excited to see how everything comes together!

R^2

Ready to race!
Stupid question, but something that has bothered me since 60k ago - are there any good cases for the key fob that keep the key, which is not needed by kessy equipped vehicles, from repeatedly opening up and stabbing me in the crotch.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Stupid question, but something that has bothered me since 60k ago - are there any good cases for the key fob that keep the key, which is not needed by kessy equipped vehicles, from repeatedly opening up and stabbing me in the crotch.

I've been running the OSIR cover for a couple months now. I'm not sure if it's any different than the ones on Amazon... But it doesn't really conceal the button much. Haven't had it pop open in my pocket tho

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Disassemble the remove the key portion from the fob?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
duct tape. u pick the colour... or put the keys in your back pocket. Personally i don't even put my car keys in my pants pocket.. .always in my hand, desk or jacket pocket. Hate getting stabbed by a key fob.

Personally i wouldn't take the key off... if the battery fails for any reason and you need to get in your car, .. you'll need that key for the drivers door lock under the hideaway cap.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
A good short shifter with those bushings really makes a word of difference. Curious to hear how the APR kit feels.
The pendulum mount plus 034's upper & lower inserts made an immediate difference with my shift feel, primarily 1st engagement.
I'm running the apr ss with IE bushings and bracket. It's pretty great. Throw on a weighted shift knob and she shifts like butter.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Did a little wheel repair, per YouTube instructions. This wheel had some curb rash and a couple good sets of scratches on the spokes. One you can still see a small circular spot... Used a drill and a $10 sanding disc kit off amazon(180-2400 grit), followed by a wool pad/rubbing compound, foam pad/polish. Not sure if I'm going to try and put any clear on it. Looks a lot better
IMG_2726.jpg

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Did a little wheel repair, per YouTube instructions. This wheel had some curb rash and a couple good sets of scratches on the spokes. One you can still see a small circular spot... Used a drill and a $10 sanding disc kit off amazon(180-2400 grit), followed by a wool pad/rubbing compound, foam pad/polish. Not sure if I'm going to try and put any clear on it. Looks a lot betterView attachment 163942
Wow, this looks great! Would you mind sharing the youtube video that you users? I have the same wheels w/ some curb rashes.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Wow, this looks great! Would you mind sharing the youtube video that you users? I have the same wheels w/ some curb rashes.

This one. I didn’t do any of the black area. I’m happy with it, think a repair place may have done a similar or possibly worse job. Just gotta take your time on the sanding steps.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Awesome. Thanks!

I used my drill on the #1 speed setting for the sanding, and used much smoother action than that guy. Also, wipe down before each step and make sure the disc isn't too trashed up. I kinda blended the sanding into the area that wasn't damaged. It will look hazy almost all the way up to 2k grit(I started using a water spray at 1500 grit). Then once I buffed it out I used the drill on high speed. This is the kit I bought... I didn't use the little foam pad.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDFCW6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GolNat

Autocross Champion

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
AWE Downpipe got installed on the car Friday, definitely a good modification. It really helpes the car breath. With the stock downpipe and the neuspeed catback the car felt restrictive in the higher rpms.

The night before I made the 50mile drive, I flashed stage 2 . On my way there I honestly couldn't feel the difference between stage 1 and 2. Maybe there was a slight difference in the topend , eitherway very minimal . I knew that would change once the downpipe got installed.

The drive back was fantastic , took it down some curvey roads car handled great. Power delivery with stage 2 is amazing it's very smooth and linear car just goes ?.
(IE Stage 1) also had smooth and linear power delivery, but top end wasn't as good.

Honestly if I stayed IE stage 1 with a downpipe I probably would enjoyed it just as much. I might go back to stage 1 just to try it with the downpipe. I was happy with stage 1, but wanted a louder exhaust note and of course for only a $50 upgraded why not go stage2 ,?.

The exhaust note is definitely louder but a good loud it's not raspy, it's got a good deep tone. I did notice some drone but I was in 4th at 55mph about 3500rpm. Was just testing the sound levels. Shifted to 5th and drone was gone.
Cruising at 70mph in 6th I didn't notice any drone .

Around town and in D mode it's not much louder than the stock downpipe and just the neuspeeed catback. Cold start it nice , again definitely louder with a deep tone but won't wake the neighbors.
(The same can't be said for my neighbours g35 thing drones and it's raspy and it definitely wakes me up?, anyways back to the gti lol)

I hope to get some exhaust clips at some point but need to get a good external mic and camera. (If you guys have any suggestions let me know.)

But for the meantime I want the lay low?, GTI gave me enough attention on Friday. I'll go briefly into the story before I conclude everything about the downpipe and tune.

Just as I get into town , about a mile and a half from the highway exit. I get pulled over by a cop, but not for the reason you might think. More on that shortly .I

Idid do a few pulls on the highway who wouldn't after an new exhaust and tune. However I was still driving civilized, as I was getting of the exit ramp I could smell my exhaust fumes a bit ( highflow cat after all). I'm going the speed limit 45mph stop and go traffic.

As I roll down my windows a bit to hear my exhaust ( still going 45mph) . I look at my rearview mirror , I see a cop behind me he's a good 6 car lenghts back. All of a sudden he speeds up and stars tailing me ( does it for about half a mile ) as we are approaching the stop light the turns on the sirens ( I knew as soon as he started tailing me he was going to pull me over)

He turns his lights on , I pull over. He is walking to the car,
( whole time I'm thinking it's got to be the exhaust fumes he was smelling or the exhaust tone).

He goes sir do you know why I pulled you over?
No officer.
He tells me .. you got a tree hanging.
A tree? I ask him

Yes, your air freshener can't be obstructing your windshield.

Oh , I was unaware of that officer . ( Wich I really was I had the the same style of air freshener hanging for years not once did I get pulled over for it.)

I give him my license ask him if he wants my insurance card and registration he says no.
Goes to to his car and checks my license , comes back and just gives me a verbal warning about the air freshener.

Whole time while he had me pulled over, all he was looking at was my old downpipe in the back?. Never asked what it was and I wasn't going to say anything unless he asked.
I did have it wrapped up pretty good ?. (Pic attached)

To conclude ,
I definitely would recommend a downpipe and stage 2 maybe even just a downpipe and a stage 1 tune .
Would I recommend the awe downpipe? that really depends, I was looking for a resonated downpipe with a highflow cat that would pair really well with my neuspeeed catback.

I considered the unitronic downpipe but I would need to get a custom resonator and
I didn't really want to deal with the extra hassle of getting all that done. I also didn't really want a 3in downpipe wanted to stay to stock size tubing a close as possible.

In the end I probably would have saved $200 to $250 . If I went the unitronic route with vibrant resonator.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the whole outcome excluding the fact that I got pulled over for the stupidest reason.

If you read this far thank you!! and I apologise for the long post.

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_141720.jpg
    IMG_20200124_141720.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
Last edited: