GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Learning Korean

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Onya hasayo! <----not spelled right

Spent a year there... Did my best... Hard as crap to learn, especially with the inflection of voice you have to use, depending on age of the person you're talking to.

Reading/writing even harder. No idea, but I'm sure there a Korean for dummies book out there

anotero

Autocross Champion
Onya hasayo! <----not spelled right

Spent a year there... Did my best... Hard as crap to learn, especially with the inflection of voice you have to use, depending on age of the person you're talking to.

Reading/writing even harder. No idea, but I'm sure there a Korean for dummies book out there

I speak four languages from three language groups (Slavic, Germanic, Romance), so another language, although from a completely different family, won't too difficult. But yes, I realize that Korean is very different, hence the thread.

I'll speak to everyone informally -- they'll just have to live with it. :)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
I speak four languages from three language groups (Slavic, Germanic, Romance), so another language, although from a completely different family, won't too difficult. But yes, I realize that Korean is very different, hence the thread.

But Hongul uses characters, much like Chinese, which doesn't equate to sounds

swcrow

Autocross Champion
^longest flight I've ever taken. Even to Israel. Korean Air thought is awesome. Where did you go? I was in Uijongbu, about an hour north of Seoul

anotero

Autocross Champion
^longest flight I've ever taken. Even to Israel. Korean Air thought is awesome. Where did you go? I was in Uijongbu, about an hour north of Seoul

Did you inadvertently end up crossing into the DMZ? :) Seoul is only about 20 miles from the border.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Did you inadvertently end up crossing into the DMZ? :) Seoul is only about 20 miles from the border.

travel by metro/bus makes it that long. Check out where Uijongbu is...spent a lot of time bouncing between there and Camp Casey, which is even more north. And yes, I did cross over into NK through the one building on the DMZ where there is a building that stradles the actual line...we got to walk around the table and formally be on NK "soil". It was all coordinated so no NK soldiers inside with us, but there were everywhere outside taking our pics.