GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why it so knocky?? 3 logs

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

It isn't knocking because you don't have an IC especially with the temperatures this time of year in Wisconsin. The knocking is probably because of the tune. How old are your spark plugs? Did you narrow the gap on the plugs after the tune? Are they the correct spark plugs?

Makowski17

Maybe coils, or I need better gas, has anyone ever tried adding a little e85, maybe a gallon after filling up with 93?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I did not. I believe they are .28 out the box. I've heard the brisk plugs dont need to gap down to .24 because they are strong spark or something idk.

Can you explain how this will prevent knock?

A smaller gap lessens knock. I recently had a new dyno tune and there was too much knock at 24 gap so they regapped at 20 and the knock was gone. Sure they could have just reduced the timing but if you can prevent the knock with a smaller gap then you'll have more power.

wrongwheeldrive23

Go Kart Champion
I went with a stage 1 MAP tune last week and had the exact same issue, I was seeing -6 on cylinder 1 and around 4 on the last 3 cylinders

WIth that said I ended up purchasing a stage 1 93 octane eqt tune and wow what a night a day difference ! The tune builds boost so much quicker and and smoother and throttle response under boost seems drastically improved. Most importantly the worst knock I've encountered so far was -1.8 which I believe is perfectly acceptable

Makowski17

I went with a stage 1 MAP tune last week and had the exact same issue, I was seeing -6 on cylinder 1 and around 4 on the last 3 cylinders

WIth that said I ended up purchasing a stage 1 93 octane eqt tune and wow what a night a day difference ! The tune builds boost so much quicker and and smoother and throttle response under boost seems drastically improved. Most importantly the worst knock I've encountered so far was -1.8 which I believe is perfectly acceptable

Damn, I've been hearing this alot. People switching from ma performance to eqt.. do they offer a tune close to the same power potential as the map stage 2?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Chalk another one up to EQT. They sure seem like the best tuner for the GTI.

wrongwheeldrive23

Go Kart Champion
Damn, I've been hearing this alot. People switching from ma performance to eqt.. do they offer a tune close to the same power potential as the map stage 2?
I imagine they do, because stage 1 definitely felt quicker then the map tune I was running, my only worry is turbo longevity, if its accurate I was peaking at 28.6 PSI