GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lawd yeah, I'd be down for a meet there. They are doing takeout right now. Those burgers... good shit.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
GTI insurance coverages trend towards the high side i guess...

i need to shop for insurance again soon. was waiting for wrestling season to be done befor ei went to do that and then this COVID BS started ramping up.

Can confirm. It’s the same price of my GTI on minimum coverage as it is for my wife’s wagon full coverage.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
@DASVDUB so what would happen if i put GTI springs on the tiguan? since you did the opposite, i figured i'd ask you first before asking the class

Phur

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Drop it down low!!!!

1585970021624.png

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
@DASVDUB so what would happen if i put GTI springs on the tiguan? since you did the opposite, i figured i'd ask you first before asking the class

Most people recommend/use the (OEM) Golf R springs instead for the heavier Tiguan, especially if you have 4motion. It's definitely a stiffer/slightly harsher ride, but it'll get you a little lower (not slammed or anything)

I tried a bunch of different setups on my Tigs and the best was the Tiguan Eibach Pro-Kit springs (they're linear too).
If you wanna be cheap, you can manage on the stock struts/shocks. But paired with the Koni Sports, it would REALLY nice. I found stock (i.e. the "sport suspension") was too harsh/stiff, but even on the 19's and that Eibach/Koni setup it rode very well and handled nicely

It was a ~1 3/4" - 2" drop.

IIRC, you had a SEL with the flares and so the lower you go....the more the wheels will be less flush/sucked in & it looks goofy. If you feel in the front wheel liner, there is a thick 1" or so piece of plastic of liner/flare and the wheels will hit that if you try to get them perfectly flush. So getting the car super low AND the wheels flush...not possible with the flares as you'd hit/damage the fender/liner/flare/whatever.

With the Eibachs, you can still run spacers (if you wish) to get the wheels flush since it's not crazy low.

If you don't have the flares though...not as big of an issue. Just stretch some tire and you'd be good (like on that white one above).

IMG_7125.JPG
IMG_7126.JPG
IMG_7128.JPG
IMG_7130.JPG

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
dang wow, good updates.

We are doing ok, believe 3 of the 5 of our family is actually just finishing up COVID-19... 2 are totally asymptomatic, one has mostly nausea, then 2 of us (my son and I), have had the chest pain and shortness of breath. I did an E-Video visit about 3 days ago, they told us to stay home, and that we most likely had it. Only the boy had a very slight fever ONCE, of like 99 - nothing - and myself and my older daughter who had just the nausea, never had a fever. Super strange... I am feeling much better today, probably out of this soon, as we estimate we got sick just about 2 weeks ago.
I am glad that all of you are feeling better. It is so bizarre how all over the place the symptoms for this are.

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
I am glad that all of you are feeling better. It is so bizarre how all over the place the symptoms for this are.
My wife and I are pretty sure our family has had it as well. The symptoms for all of us were different (although the kids shared a few of theirs).

Stay safe out there!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Decided to replace the thermostat in the Jetta today. What a crappy job....wrestling with getting the alternator off I busted my finger when the pry bar slipped. Sucks, but I still won. After that I was fighting with getting the hoses off the tstat for the next hour+ ...stupid manifold in my way....really convinced myself I could get to it without taking the manifold off...spent more time wrestling with it than it would have taken to just remove the manifold. Fast forward another hour of swearing and contorting my arm in ways they shouldn't bend. Screw it I'll take the manifold off. 25 minutes later all the room in the world. Grrrr.

Anywho now I'm at a standstill until a manifold gasket and new injector seals arrive. Much needed carbon cleaning.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
i forgot you had tigs as well.

ill see if i cna track some OEM R springs down. are the koni sports universal?
Yeah, just 4 of them LOL

"Universal?"
They have Tig (also fit the cousin Audi Q3) specific ones
On sale too:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/audi-q3-vw-tiguan-front/87411546sport~ko/&
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/audi-q3-vw-tiguan-rear/80401395sport~ko/
EDIT: OR, theoretically, I don't see why you couldn't bolt the Golf R strut assemblies on.
For the rear shocks though, the only issue is that the Tig has a longer shock in the rear though versus a Golf R/GTI.

Last edited:

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
Decided to replace the thermostat in the Jetta today. What a crappy job....wrestling with getting the alternator off I busted my finger when the pry bar slipped. Sucks, but I still won. After that I was fighting with getting the hoses off the tstat for the next hour+ ...stupid manifold in my way....really convinced myself I could get to it without taking the manifold off...spent more time wrestling with it than it would have taken to just remove the manifold. Fast forward another hour of swearing and contorting my arm in ways they shouldn't bend. Screw it I'll take the manifold off. 25 minutes later all the room in the world. Grrrr.

Anywho now I'm at a standstill until a manifold gasket and new injector seals arrive. Much needed carbon cleaning.
Killed two birds with one stone, right?

Hey, isn’t it almost time to wake the garage queen from her long, winter slumber?