GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HF Jackstands recalled

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
https://www.thedrive.com/news/33572/harbor-freight-recalls-jack-stands-that-could-suddenly-collapse

Anyone with Pittsburgh jackstands, stop using them immediately.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have some "Big Red" ones that im certain are the same chinese stands as the red HF ones....i've done so much work under my car with those ugh

GolNat

Autocross Champion
🤦‍♂️ Yeah I have those 6 ton ones.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Oh damn, I have both. I just had my car on the 3ton ones for 2 days while working on it.
This is why I always like to use the jack (also a HF purchase) as a 3rd brace... can't be too safe when it comes to stuff like that. If a wheel comes off it can also go under the car.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have some "Big Red" ones that im certain are the same chinese stands as the red HF ones....i've done so much work under my car with those ugh
Same here. I have a set of 6 ton "Big Red" stands that have the additional safety pin. Other than the pin they look identical.

Any idea if these were also recalled?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It isn't so much a design problem ( I have ac delcos from Walmart that look the same) as it was a tooling issue at the factory for these harbor freight ones.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
i think so. Here are the ones to look out for:

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

January 2013 to March 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

March 2020 to April 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

June 2013 to March 2020

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
This dude on reddit did a little experiment on the HF jacks where he painted the pawl and showed where it marks on the teeth. It is horrifying. I replicated the same thing with my Wal-mart brand AC Delcos and they faired much better.

Walmart on the left (blue) Defective HF jackstand (black) on the right:

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Yup...just my luck...ugh.
20200526_191751.jpg

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion