GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking/Banging noise while driving

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my 2012 GTI with about 160k miles on it a few months ago. It started making a single click sounds when pushing in the clutch pedal and sometimes when engaging a gear. I didn’t think much of it until I would also hear a click while turning. Now the clicking noise will be heard on and off and it’s repeating about 8 times a second and will increase with speed. I took off the passenger side front wheel, where the sound seems to be coming from and nothing seemed loose. The noise disappeared for about 4 days but then it came back. It’s loudest at around 25-35mph. Any ideas on what this is? I don’t think it’s engine related. I’ll try to post a video.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Loose wheel well?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I also thought loose under guard or some stupid trim piece rubbing.

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
nothing seems to be loose. It seems now that it’s really only happening upon acceleration. Possibly transmission?

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Only happen when your sunroof is open? Doesn't sound like tranny to me

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
what did you end up paying for that?
just got one with about the same mile's
Got the 2 top mounts for about $100 total, Bottom dogbone arm $35, 034 Motorsport density line bushings for about $70, and new subframe bolts were about $49 for all of them. dont need to upgrade the mounts but I think it’s worth the extra money. I
did most of the work myself. Top 2 mounts are an easy DIY. The bottom dogbone I had to have my mechanic do it. Got charged $150 in labor to drop subframe and put in new bushings and arm and put it back together.