GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stuttering and hesitation after a stage 2+ tune

ronalr611

So I've had my mk6 GTI for about half a year and I've never had any problems with it until today. The previous owner had clearly done work to the car in terms of adding hardware. K04 turbo, upgraded intercooler, unitronic intake system, etc. The only thing that bugged me was that it was running the stock tune so I thought I'd take it into the shop to get a stage 2+ tune to really wake it up. Before the tune, I never had any problems. Later the shop called me saying the flash was done and that they even got one good pull in during the test drive. The only concern was that it started misfiring because "the spark plugs were done for." So after I picked up the car, I replaced all the plugs as suggested by the tuning shop. But my car still stutters on acceleration and idle and I'm getting a lot more turbo flutter than I did before the tune. I scanned the car and it spat out a generic P0236 error code about the boost pressure sensor.

Is the boost pressure sensor the actual problem or is there something else causing the engine to run as rough as it is? I definitely don't think it's the spark plugs since they're brand new. This never happened before the tune...

torga

Autocross Champion
Could make sure that your ignition coils aren't the cause and pick up a set of R8 coils. If the previous owner ran a K04 with no tune, who knows if they thought to replace coils.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What tune is it? APR needs a different MAP sensor. Unitronic uses OEM. What’s the spark plug gaps?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I had that code before and it was a bad map sensor. Caused my car to jerk. It's in the throttle pipe easy to replace. But like said above some tunes like apr require a 3bar map sensor for the k04 tune but the code does point to an electrical fault in the sensor or wiring .

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Anything related to stuttering or issues like that on these cars the go to has always been coils + plugs since the Mk4 as the first things to check. My car had some weird issues after only like 40k on my r8 coils and before breaking a sweat I swapped all coils + properly gapped plugs and it fixed it all right up.

If coils + plugs don't fix it, it might be worth further troubleshooting the error before replacing anything else.

how are you getting codes? can you also check what your boost pressure is reading as on the ECU? VCDS, Access port and the Torque app + a bluetooth obd2 port adapter all allow for stuff like that
if you are getting any reading at all, does it seem like its right? if you're not getting a reading at all, is it even plugged in? or maybe it did fail, can probably check for continuity with a multimeter as a test.