GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
They must have changed that, I'm sure I would have noticed if that were the case.
So you have the Graf kit?

I have an appointment to drop off at 5:30 and they’ll look at it tomorrow morning. Pressing for it to be replaced with the aluminum unit, but if not I’ll just go around the extended warranty for it. Going to have them check the timing chain tensioner while they’re at it and see if it’s the old one. Anything else I should consider?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

I have an appointment to drop off at 5:30 and they’ll look at it tomorrow morning. Pressing for it to be replaced with the aluminum unit, but if not I’ll just go around the extended warranty for it. Going to have them check the timing chain tensioner while they’re at it and see if it’s the old one. Anything else I should consider?

Tell em there's a clunk in the front end. They'll probably find something. I used to know some extended warranty inspectors that didn't give af. They'd try to find stuff wrong that I didn't even quote.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Good idea having the tensioner checked while you are there. Are you going to an indy shop or a dealer for the work?
Tell em there's a clunk in the front end. They'll probably find something. I used to know some extended warranty inspectors that didn't give af. They'd try to find stuff wrong that I didn't even quote.
Going to a dealer. He said he’s gonna talk to the master tech about checking the timing chain tensioner while they’re in there, he thinks he get get it done for free but I’m not holding my breath because it is still a dealership lol. And I didn’t check this in time to have them look at the front end, but supposedly there’s a complimentary multi-point inspection so whatever that’s worth.

The service advisor was very familiar with the tsb for the timing chain tensioner and we talked about it for a few minutes so I’m confident he knows what to look for.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Yep Graf kit.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I spent my tune money on a new lawnmower because my old lawnmower died. :( It's a pretty bad-ass lawnmower though.

Having a good lawn mower is important tho. Gotta get that grass cut.

Zero-Turn??

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Going to a dealer. He said he’s gonna talk to the master tech about checking the timing chain tensioner while they’re in there, he thinks he get get it done for free but I’m not holding my breath because it is still a dealership lol. And I didn’t check this in time to have them look at the front end, but supposedly there’s a complimentary multi-point inspection so whatever that’s worth.

The service advisor was very familiar with the tsb for the timing chain tensioner and we talked about it for a few minutes so I’m confident he knows what to look for.
Checking is super simple, if they charge you for popping off the small cover, never go back there please.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Okay they work pretty quick, just got the call back. Water pump and upper heater core hose are surprisingly fine. It’s actually my bottom heater core hose this time, it’s leaking bad apparently.

They checked the tensioner for free, lucky me it’s the old one so it’ll need to be done soon as I’m about to hit 90k miles.

Said I need lower control arm brackets, front pads/machined rotors, sway bar links and an alignment... came to $1940.69 but there’s zero chance I’m paying all of that as I have an appointment for an alignment already and I’m just going to upgrade the brakes anyways no point in paying $231 for oem pads and machined rotors just in the front.

Thoughts on the lower control arm brackets and sway bar links? I need to call him back but I assume they’re listing all four for both. $742.81 for the lower control arm brackets and $356.11 for sway bar links. Isn’t this really high?

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Okay they work pretty quick, just got the call back. Water pump and upper heater core hose are surprisingly fine. It’s actually my bottom heater core hose this time, it’s leaking bad apparently.

They checked the tensioner for free, lucky me it’s the old one so it’ll need to be done soon as I’m about to hit 90k miles.

Said I need lower control arm brackets, front pads/machined rotors, sway bar links and an alignment... came to $1940.69 but there’s zero chance I’m paying all of that as I have an appointment for an alignment already and I’m just going to upgrade the brakes anyways no point in paying $231 for oem pads and machined rotors just in the front.

Thoughts on the lower control arm brackets and sway bar links? I need to call him back but I assume they’re listing all four for both. $742.81 for the lower control arm brackets and $356.11 for sway bar links. Isn’t this really high?
If those are dealership prices I’m not surprised at the cost they’re quoting for the control arm brackets, especially if that includes the alignment. I think it’s high because I‘ve done mine and know what’s involved.