GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I experienced the same situation when I picked my car up from the dealer with the new clutch and the EXTREMELY low engagement, I had to stop at auto zone to grab a screwdriver and remove my clutch stop. But after the “break in window” the engagement did indeed move up pretty much exactly to where stock was, just in a tighter window.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
- Hindsight being 20/20, I will contact the indy shop near me for a job like this in the future. Great experience but my time could have been used to do plenty of other things around the house this long weekend.
That's pretty much what I thought after I changed the clutch in my then 10 year old NA Miata.

gtg223x

Passed Driver's Ed
Two more wheels painted, think they are growing on me.

Attachments

• 20200705_082757.jpg
    20200705_082757.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
spent 2 hours trying to replace my rear brakes only to find out I forgot they need that tool that slots into the holes to spring them down.

went to Autozone, got this lisle cube thing and that broke. So ordered a new kit on amazon.

I spent 1whole hour with a caliper press trying to press that fucker back. Felt so dumb....

Oh and I thought thecaliper bolts for the front were missing....Just turns out I had one extra rear bolt in the box which lead me to think i was missingan extra front one....

think I'm done for the day.

• Haha
Reactions: q74

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Attempted to install my apr dogbone insert. Found out my 2018 R still has version 1 mount. So will be posting up a version 2 for sale or trade. DOH!!!!

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
I got stalked by a new Supra and detailed the car for the (20th time in 2 weeks ) lol.

Attachments

• A4AEF8FC-B897-4E04-ACA6-54566734435B.jpeg
    A4AEF8FC-B897-4E04-ACA6-54566734435B.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 129

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wanted to trust me but with only stage one tunes and I haven’t installed the downpipe and intercooler with the reflash yet I knew I’d be wasting my gas lol

I haven’t got to run one yet, they’re few and far between in my area.

Good call though, I definitely wouldn’t wanna run one on a hot day without an intercooler they’d be in another zip code haha

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
I haven’t got to run one yet, they’re few and far between in my area.

Good call though, I definitely wouldn’t wanna run one on a hot day without an intercooler they’d be in another zip code haha
I bet full stage 2 would be a very good race factoring that both the mk7 and 2020 Supra have the same curb weight. I bet that the DSG would factor in as well. Not sure about how the Supra transmission is compared tho.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Clutch Replacement, Days 3 & 4: Reassembly.

Not sure why, but reassembling things is always easier than taking it apart to begin with, at least for me. Getting the transmission back in its home was special treat that I really don't ever want to do again. I did find that using the engine support bar as a very slow lift allowed me to raise the transmission just high enough that I could slide under it and push it into final position. The rest of the job was just doing the reverse of what I did to get to the clutch. Pretty straigh forward, just took time as it is hot & humid and I was in no hurry. I had no parts left over, so I was pretty happy.

Lessons learned:

- Hindsight being 20/20, I will contact the indy shop near me for a job like this in the future. Great experience but my time could have been used to do plenty of other things around the house this long weekend.
- Bring a buddy to help
- Make sure you have plenty of time, especially if you don't do this level of work often
- Take a break often, especially in this heat
- Research the whole job before you start so that you don't have to waste time searching stores for parts / tools / other material. I had almost everything but a 1/4" drive 6mm hex that took a couple hours to find in a local store.
- Write down all of the torque specs ahead of time so that you don't spend a while looking through the service manual to find them
- Removing the axles made this job so much easier. Take it for an alignment check later
- Be careful removing the VAQ, don't pull on the axle flange if you can avoid it. I must have pulled a little to hard and it came out of the housing, and unleashed a flood of fluid everywhere. I tried to push it back in but it did not want to pop back in. Eventually I took it apart and found that there is a small snap ring on the shaft that must be compressed just right for the shaft to slide back into the assembly. A couple of pictures below for those interested what the interior looks like.

First impressions of the DKM dual disk clutch:

- As mentioned by many, this thing is stiff out of the box. Will take me a couple of days to get accustomed to the pressure required to push it in. I hope that there will be no accidents in the next couple of weeks on the interstate. Hopefully by the time I reach 500 miles, the clutch will break in and be easier to use.
- The engagement point is super low. I had to take out my clutch stop to ensure that I could push the pedal in enough to disengage the clutch. Research tells me that the engagement point moves up as it breaks in, so time will tell.
- Can't wait to really enjoy my stage 2 tune. My clutch had been slipping for a while, so I have been babying the car waiting for the right time to replace the clutch.
No parts leftover after install=Win in my book. I decided a while back that I am going to have a shop install the clutch when I decide to do it. It also may be due to me getting older and lazier though lol. Great to hear about the install going well. Keep us posted on the break-in period.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I was able to do this with a pair of needle nose pliers. Pain in the ass for sure, but works in a pinch.

spent 2 hours trying to replace my rear brakes only to find out I forgot they need that tool that slots into the holes to spring them down.

went to Autozone, got this lisle cube thing and that broke. So ordered a new kit on amazon.

I spent 1whole hour with a caliper press trying to press that fucker back. Felt so dumb....

Oh and I thought thecaliper bolts for the front were missing....Just turns out I had one extra rear bolt in the box which lead me to think i was missingan extra front one....

think I'm done for the day.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Installed the new revision of pcv for the S3 on my GTI today. Pretty easy and quick install. Be sure to reseat all the connectors to the coil packs, or your car will run very poorly and immediately throw a CEL. Ask me how I know.

Anyway, it's supposed to stop the smoke show under braking on track. I'll let you know how it goes.