GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Powdercoating in SoCal

bohockey19

Passed Driver's Ed
where should i go to take my wheels to get powder coated any recommendations for somewhere that be ridiculously overpriced too?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
bumping this back up instead of starting a new thread. Does $180 per wheel to brush and tint clear wheels sound reasonable? wheels are currently satin titanium.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
@Terriquez88 did he go with a brushed finish? i think brushed adds to the cost and so does adding tint to the clear.

sample of a finished product from this particular shop for $180ish per wheel.
IMG_8046.jpeg

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
brushwork and finish on the advans look better than the bbs rs2 imo. thoughts? nearly $50 per wheel difference between the two.

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_155720.png
    IMG_20200416_155720.png
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20200416_185329.png
    IMG_20200416_185329.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8046.jpeg
    IMG_8046.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
There's a guy in Chula Vista that has an instagram: Chamorroboy86. He does all kinds of rim repair and powder coating. It cost me $300 to get curb rash fixed on three rims and powder coating for all rims.

55793525_10214418425797829_1686080723049512960_o.jpg

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
There's a guy in Chula Vista that has an instagram: Chamorroboy86. He does all kinds of rim repair and powder coating. It cost me $300 to get curb rash fixed on three rims and powder coating for all rims.

View attachment 179331
i remember the name from when i had IG. he has a VIP Q right? unfortunately, i'm no longer on social media and chula vista is way too far.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
Did you happen to settle on a shop to powdercoat your wheels? FM gave me a 1 week turnaround which is a bit too long for me. Primo gave me same day service, but is that too fast of a turnaround? Not too familiar with powdercoating process.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
@GTI_Jerm I didn't pick a shop yet. I didn't like the brush work in the picture that FM sent me. There was also some clear coat drip in the window of the BBS spokes. As much as I like the price, I don't think I'll be happy saving money for lesser quality work (judging by pics Abe sent). I think it can be turned around in 1 week - depends on how busy they are. Couldn't you just make the appointment, drop the wheels off and pick them up same day instead of leaving your wheels with them for a week? I like how the Advan's came out in the pic that Baid Polish sent me but now I'm deciding between plain brushed w/ tint clear or brushed nickel clear or brushed black nickel clear.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
@GTI_Jerm I didn't pick a shop yet. I didn't like the brush work in the picture that FM sent me. There was also some clear coat drip in the window of the BBS spokes. As much as I like the price, I don't think I'll be happy saving money for lesser quality work (judging by pics Abe sent). I think it can be turned around in 1 week - depends on how busy they are. Couldn't you just make the appointment, drop the wheels off and pick them up same day instead of leaving your wheels with them for a week? I like how the Advan's came out in the pic that Baid Polish sent me but now I'm deciding between plain brushed w/ tint clear or brushed nickel clear or brushed black nickel clear.

I wouldn’t even know how to judge the quality on the brush work. I’m going for a simple matte or satin gunmetal. Just messaged Baid Polish. What kind of turnaround and price did they give you? $480 and same day at Primo is attractive, but a part of me is thinking just get a new set of wheels..

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
what wheels are you re-finishing? @GTI_Jerm ? if you're going something simple like matte/satin gunmetal, you should be fine going to most places tbh.