GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Old guy needs advice on wheels

Norland

Car(s)
2020 GTI, 2018 RDX
I just bought my first GTI for my 75th birthday. I've owned multiple BMWs and none were as fun as my new MK 7.5 GTI. I need advice about buying wheels. I'm not crazy about the stock wheels, and the Pretorias are OK, but I'd like more choices. I've looked at the Tire Rack wheel options, but I'm not sure of the quality of their wheels. Do I have any reason to be concerned?

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Anything Tire Rack sells is going to be quality but wheels are no exception to the "you get what you pay for" rule.

There are some brands that command a higher price tag because of the name but are similar quality to lower cost options (like BBS cast wheels, compared to Enkei, compared to Konig).

We're also fortunate to have Neuspeed wheels, if you like the style they are a great option for an upgrade that is meant for our platform directly.

Norland

Car(s)
2020 GTI, 2018 RDX
Thanks, that helps. Can you tell me how I would decide which offset dimension I would choose? I don't know what that means. Also, I think the stock 18" wheels are 7.5" wide. Could I use 8" wide wheels on the car (2020 GTI)? Thanks. I appreciate the help.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks, that helps. Can you tell me how I would decide which offset dimension I would choose? I don't know what that means. Also, I think the stock 18" wheels are 7.5" wide. Could I use 8" wide wheels on the car (2020 GTI)? Thanks. I appreciate the help.
No problem. Tire Rack's recommendations for what fits are going to be 100% safe and correct for the application. Manufacturer's vary a bit in specs, but the most common aftermarket wheel size for our cars is an 8.5" wide wheel with a 45mm offset. On an 8" wide wheel, you'll see similar offsets.

The best website to filter all of those specs into something digestible is still www.willtheyfit.com. Plug in your OEM specs, then compare aftermarket wheels to see the change.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Any 5x112, 18x8 wheel with offset (ET) between 40-48 should work. Any 5x112, 18x8.5 ET 42-45 wheel will work as well.

As has been mentioned, Neuspeed make wheels specially for the VW/Audi platform that require no other changes (hub rings, different length/shaped bolts, spacers, etc). That said there are tons of other options that will fit with only minor changes (hub centric rings or new lug bolts for example).

This thread has tons of different examples if you’re not sure what style you want or want some inspiration.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I suggest Neuspeed also. They can even sort you out with some tires so all you have to do is mount the wheels.

Last edited:

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
For what it's worth, before my tire/wheel protection plan runs out, I'll sell my Pretorias and get something like the BBS RF (18x8) for my R. I've had to replace/repair several of my stock shoes which I think look nice but are too fragile.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I'll vote for the Neuspeed wheels also. No hub centering rings and helpful customer service. They have sales periodically too

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Depends on your budget. Neuspeed for OEM fit and Motegi for lightweight and low cost but will need rings.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Definitely check out Knoig wheels, which have been briefly mentioned earlier. They require rings and conical bolts, but you can't beat the flow forged models on a price to performance basis. My 18 x 8.5" Dekagrams are less than 18 lbs each vs the OEM ~27 lbs
IMG_20200624_182623 (1).jpg.

Last edited: