GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI vs. Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I have both a 2020 Tesla 3P and a 2016 MK7 R. The R is stage 2. The 3P is bone stock aside from a center console wrap. The 3P destroys it in nearly every conceivable performance metric. We had both at Pocono Raceway Sunday and the gap is comical. In the 3P it held its own with the Z06’s (infield was open), CTSVs and P cars while the R was a point-by pass factory : )

The R is fun, leaps and bounds more enjoyable than the 3P but that’s it. The 3P so quick that it’s borderline not fun if that makes any sense. Although I’ve never owned an R34, I understand the general opinion that it lacks soul. That’s exactly how I feel about the 3P.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Guess who gets the garage space : )

Attachments

• FEC2A856-F098-4B57-A468-3189B16D5AFB.jpeg
    FEC2A856-F098-4B57-A468-3189B16D5AFB.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 170

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
I have both a 2020 Tesla 3P and a 2016 MK7 R. The R is stage 2. The 3P is bone stock aside from a center console wrap. The 3P destroys it in nearly every conceivable performance metric. We had both at Pocono Raceway Sunday and the gap is comical. In the 3P it held its own with the Z06’s (infield was open), CTSVs and P cars while the R was a point-by pass factory : )

The R is fun, leaps and bounds more enjoyable than the 3P but that’s it. The 3P so quick that it’s borderline not fun if that makes any sense. Although I’ve never owned an R34, I understand the general opinion that it lacks soul. That’s exactly how I feel about the 3P.
Damn...I thought the stage 2 R would be very close to the M3P. And yet you like your R more in how it drives?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Did no one else watch to where he almost died at 16 seconds?
Lol I'm always waiting for that to happen when I'm passing by a line of cars. If the tesla was right next to me and I didn't have an emergency escape route I would've let off the gas a lot sooner

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Damn...I thought the stage 2 R would be very close to the M3P. And yet you like your R more in how it drives?

Absolutely, but it's a mixture between the black box nature of the Tesla coupled with its lack of emotion. On the other side of the spectrum, my R is 100% wahoooooo massive bang for your buck barrels of fun with no F's given about what anyone thinks it should or shouldn't be. The beauty of it is, the R can be anything pretty damn good at one heck of a great price point.

The 3P is more like a sentinel that does 100 things flawlessly which can literally be summoned to do its job. After 100 dig launches the acceleration gets old and I feel like an idiot because I just stomp my foot like an organic blob whose job it is to stomp my foot and annihilate people that have put blood sweat and tears into their machines. That's me I'm beating... I've purchased a machine that does everything for me and needs only a stomping foot. I began to wonder, what am I doing? On paper (and youtubes) it makes so much sense. Is this where things are going? I feel empty. I don't want this journey of wrench > wrench > FUN > break > learn > rinse & repeat to be over. Where the F is my R.... :: 10 mins later :: WAHOOOOOO in the R once again falling in love thinking damn this little car is amazing.

It has led to a lot of soul searching on my part if you can't tell.

My wife LOVES the Tesla. It ticks all the boxes and while we'll most likely part with this for a base Y or sell it and hold off for a mach-e, one way or another an electric car is in her future long term. Tesla's resale value holds in an otherworldly way but the premium for the P isn't sensible for her usage.

My new goal is to get my MK7 to the point where I'm reliably hunting 3Ps for under half the cost. For the time being, I'm keeping my new enemy very close ; )

Last edited:

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Absolutely, but it's a mixture between the black box nature of the Tesla coupled with its lack of emotion. On the other side of the spectrum, my R is 100% wahoooooo massive bang for your buck barrels of fun with no F's given about what anyone thinks it should or shouldn't be. The beauty of it is, the R can be anything pretty damn good at one heck of a great price point.

The 3P is more like a sentinel that does 100 things flawlessly which can literally be summoned to do its job. After 100 dig launches the acceleration gets old and I feel like an idiot because I just stomp my foot like an organic blob whose job it is to stomp my foot and annihilate people that have put blood sweat and tears into their machines. That's me I'm beating... I've purchased a machine that does everything for me and needs only a stomping foot. I began to wonder, what am I doing? On paper (and youtubes) it makes so much sense. Is this where things are going? I feel empty. I don't want this journey of wrench > wrench > FUN > break > learn > rinse & repeat to be over. Where the F is my R.... :: 10 mins later :: WAHOOOOOO in the R once again falling in love thinking damn this little car is amazing.

My wife LOVES the Tesla. It ticks all the boxes and while we'll most likely part with this for a base Y or sell it and hold off for a mach-e, one way or another an electric car is in her future long term. Tesla's resale value holds in an otherworldly way but the premium for the P isn't sensible for her usage.

My new goal is to get my MK7 to the point where I'm reliably hunting 3Ps for under half the cost. For the time being, I'm keeping my new enemy very close ; )
Great summary! Thank you.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

We've debated the 3P for the spousal car, thanks for this, fits pretty well with what I thought.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You're going to make me buy a 3P. I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the AWD mid tier model 3 handled, good steering and hid its weight very well. With the fuel cost and resale, $56K is actually a lot cheaper ownership cost than most $45k gas cars.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You're going to make me buy a 3P. I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the AWD mid tier model 3 handled, good steering and hid its weight very well. With the fuel cost and resale, $56K is actually a lot cheaper ownership cost than most $45k gas cars.
If you're like us, don't forget the added convenience of never having to schlepp your wife's car to the gas station, in the rain, snow or heat. Add in dragging it in for oil changes (and if you own an Audi like us, recalls.) If Texas allowed the EV rebate for Teslas (it's only $2,500, but its the principal of the thing) then we'd likely already have one. The software changes to the LR Dual Motor brought it a lot closer to the 3P, so we might just go that route, leaving more money to replace the awful Tesla wheels. Elon really needs a wheel guy.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

Yeah totally agree. If 45k is your ice budget it would be hard to pass by a mid 50k 3 or Y. In my case, I got my 2016 CPO R with 38 or maybe 40k miles for 24k OTD just a few months ago. It was out of Texas and rust free, full service records etc. The 3P is full self driving provisioned with the track pack and white interior, basically fully specced. There is a 35k gap between the two. If that gap were say 10k, I’d probably feel a little differently but still wouldn’t have the 3P as my primary enthusiast/DD mobile due to the reasons mentioned before.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

I've never been in an electric car but feel the same about them. Point and click simplicity with no effort. Seems dull, despite the amazing performance.

Reactions: MSH

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I've never been in an electric car but feel the same about them. Point and click simplicity with no effort. Seems dull, despite the amazing performance.

+1 I realize they are the future but just can't do it. I'm not at all interested at this point. Although seeing what's going down right now with the whole APR DP/stage 2 tune drama who knows...might force my hand sooner vs later