GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

“Loaner” Car Policies

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
I noticed a fluid leak from my new to me Golf S and went to make a service appointment online at one of my local VW dealers to get it checked out under warranty. Under the Transportation options, one dealer offered a Loaner Car option but added a charge for it. Since this dealer doesn’t know the basic difference between a loaner and a rental, I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Has anyone come across this at other dealers?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Is this Smith VW? IMO they are one of the best VW dealers in the country and if I had to skip a loaner to get serviced there I would.

GTIeng

When we bought our Tiguan, the dealership gave us a loaner to have curb rash repaired (negotiated the repair into the sale). They said it was 4 hour job but OFFERED a loaner. We didn't even ask for a loaner. Even gave it to us for 2 full days because the dealership was 1.5 hours away and the misses worked the next day. Guess it varies.

mtk12

Passed Driver's Ed
I went to a dealer today for a whine and some grease I noticed and asked for a loaner and they said they could only provide one if the issue was deemed to be covered under warranty. They said they would need time to make that determination and I wouldn't be able to wait at the dealer as it could take all day. I also sometimes go to a different dealer near me and they always try to push me into taking a loaner instead of waiting. So it for sure varies.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I went to a dealer today for a whine and some grease I noticed and asked for a loaner and they said they could only provide one if the issue was deemed to be covered under warranty. They said they would need time to make that determination and I wouldn't be able to wait at the dealer as it could take all day. I also sometimes go to a different dealer near me and they always try to push me into taking a loaner instead of waiting. So it for sure varies.

That happened to me. I had to wait at the dealer for 6 hours only to have them tell me they’d need the car for a few days to replace the water pump. It’s extremely poor customer service if you ask me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Penske in Scottsdale charges $35 up front for a loaner and they take it off your bill when you pay.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
My dealer says for warranty issues if they need the car for 24 hrs+ a loaner will be covered. When they aren't busy though they'll give you a loaner at no charge for just about anything.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
Is this Smith VW? IMO they are one of the best VW dealers in the country and if I had to skip a loaner to get serviced there I would.

Just wanted to make clear that it wasn’t Smith. They currently have a drop off only, no waiting policy. Unfortunately, I can’t work out the drop off logistics and don’t want to wait to take care of this.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
All depends on the dealer. Where I purchased the GTI, the dealer offers a package at purchase which includes lifetime loaners and quarterly discounts on service. At another dealer where I didn't purchase, I got a free loaner for a recall.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Depends on the dealer. I've been to dealers that offer a loaner for any service, and others that only gave me a loaner because they could not finish the service the same day.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A loaner is not guaranteed from VW, that's really what it comes down to. Some dealers offer them as a courtesy, some don't. Some will if it's a major repair/needs to be out of service for multiple days. At some point, you just rent a car and accept the small cost/hassle as part of your ownership of a car. You can write a letter to VWoA and ask for reimbursement. Some dealers will even use a third-party like Enterprise for this service. I've always felt it's a huge PITA but I have multiple cars/family so getting rides etc. is simple. For some, I can see where this is a PITA.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Never taken my vw to dealership other than first free oil change, but my Mazda dealer is great.

Always have a loaner available. Last time had a CX5 grand touring loaner for 10 days until car could be fixed. And that was with not prior notice. Usually have to let them know in advance you need one. And they never charge for it.

And they have given me loaners for same day service as well

chadbrochills

Car(s)
2020 MK7.5 GTI SE
Just picked up a '20 SE 2 weeks ago. Had to have the steering wheel replaced immediately due to someone scuffing it at the 12 o'clock position while I was signing the paperwork. To my surprise, my dealership uses Uber and pays for it. I guess that's probably cheaper than having a dedicated shuttle driver on payroll these days. Goes back in tomorrow for a creaking coming from the drivers door card. The joys of owning a VW! lol

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Just picked up a '20 SE 2 weeks ago. Had to have the steering wheel replaced immediately due to someone scuffing it at the 12 o'clock position while I was signing the paperwork. To my surprise, my dealership uses Uber and pays for it. I guess that's probably cheaper than having a dedicated shuttle driver on payroll these days. Goes back in tomorrow for a creaking coming from the drivers door card. The joys of owning a VW! lol

Unfortunately rattles and creaks are only covered for the first year I believe so you'll have to get used to them. It will be interesting to see if build quality noise issues are something they address with the MK8.