GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock 2012 GTI Base 4dr (Baby Steps)

OverseerMK6

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I've finally decided to spend effort on moding my first car. I've done minimal research on what to stay away from, but I would like some suggestions from you guys. I have one thing that was bugged me since I first got the car and it is that pesky speed limiter at 120mph. (Things I want: new exhaust, suspension, and tuning.)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
First step: Check if your timing chain tensioner has been updated. If not that needs to be replaced.
If you are manual the clutch will need to be upgraded if you plan to tune.
Stage 1 tune is a simple flash and enjoy.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Unless you are at the track or the Autobahn why would you want to go over 120 mph?

OverseerMK6

First step: Check if your timing chain tensioner has been updated. If not that needs to be replaced.
If you are manual the clutch will need to be upgraded if you plan to tune.
Stage 1 tune is a simple flash and enjoy.
I'm planning on purchasing Unitronic VW Mk6 GTI 2.0T K03 Performance Software with the connector. Is there anything I should know before I follow through?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I'm planning on purchasing Unitronic VW Mk6 GTI 2.0T K03 Performance Software with the connector. Is there anything I should know before I follow through?

Unitronic is great, that’s who I’m tuned with. Very solid tune. If you have a manual transmission though it will probably slip with a Stage 1 if you have some miles on the clutch.

OverseerMK6

Unitronic is great, that’s who I’m tuned with. Very solid tune. If you have a manual transmission though it will probably slip with a Stage 1 if you have some miles on the clutch.
Alright, my first purchase is confirmed then!

walker

Go Kart Newbie
I have the APR stage 1 tune on my 2012 GTi. It supposedly removes the limiter but I've only been up to 110 in it. Don't know about the unitronic, but the APR had to be bench flashed, can't do it through the ODBII port.

One very easy (and free!) mod you should do to get you started is the Soundaktor delete.

OverseerMK6

I plan on going catless with a turbo-back exhaust. Does the Unitronic stage 1 tune reprogram the car where the check engine light doesn't come on due to a lack of cats? If not how do I solve that problem?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
if you are doing a cat less dp go Stage 2.

I’d recommend doing a high flow cat.
You add o2 sensor spacer for CEL.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I never had any CEL issues running a high flow cat, 3” dp, J-Spacer with the smallest orifice on the post cat sensor and Unitronic Stage 2 software.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have the APR stage 1 tune on my 2012 GTi. It supposedly removes the limiter but I've only been up to 110 in it. Don't know about the unitronic, but the APR had to be bench flashed, can't do it through the ODBII port.

One very easy (and free!) mod you should do to get you started is the Soundaktor delete.
I can confirm apr deletes the speed restriction. If I were to start tuning all over I would go with the cobb accessport . I would rather be able to do it myself and you can always get some money back by selling when your done.