GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

An interesting tease

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I hate SUV's. Seems like every dad buys their teen daughter or their wife one to "be safer" but most of them can't handle that much car. My girlfriend got a trailblazer after totaling her Chevy Aveo sedan and that's about as extreme of a size change you can get. She wrecked that too because she doesn't understand that bigger car = more inertia and high rollover risk. She's lucky a concrete barrier stopped her tumble...

Top that off with not being able to see at intersections and parking spots because someone pulled into your field of view and you can't see over their car, then they act like I'm blocking THEIR sight and they roll forward after I do. it's becoming difficult to drive anything that's not an SUV or a truck on the road

I bought a Tiguan cuz I needed something to pull a utility trailer to get plywood/drywall and it doubles as my winter car, but I feel like most people don't need an SUV for the things they do in their daily life.

I'm glad my sister went with an Alltrack as her car after she got pregnant instead of an SUV or minivan. I want to see wagons come back into style

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Don't care for them, but my dad likes it at his age ( 78) easier for him to get in and out of compared to a sedan.

I hear ya on the view thing. Was making a left turn , SUV making a right turn blocking my view. I had to pull up some to see if clear. They can see over the roof of my car, but have to keep creeping forward.:mad:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I'm not into SUV's or "Crossovers" as far as that goes. But I'm glad to see VW trying to bridge the current gulf in size between their SUV line-up and their sedans and hatchbacks. My stomach turned when VW started its "drive bigger" ad campaign. Perhaps the company can still "think small" as it once did, as well.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
VW just released another teasing silhouette. Yes it's an SUV, but it does look interesting--especially if it isn't overly tall, and even moreso if it's true that they'll offer one powered by the Mk8 Golf R engine.
Volkswagen_teases_new_compact_SUV-Small-12193-960x640.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
^ VW copying Subie fozzy if paired with the R engine maybe

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I hate SUV's. Seems like every dad buys their teen daughter or their wife one to "be safer" but most of them can't handle that much car. My girlfriend got a trailblazer after totaling her Chevy Aveo sedan and that's about as extreme of a size change you can get. She wrecked that too because she doesn't understand that bigger car = more inertia and high rollover risk. She's lucky a concrete barrier stopped her tumble...

Top that off with not being able to see at intersections and parking spots because someone pulled into your field of view and you can't see over their car, then they act like I'm blocking THEIR sight and they roll forward after I do. it's becoming difficult to drive anything that's not an SUV or a truck on the road

I bought a Tiguan cuz I needed something to pull a utility trailer to get plywood/drywall and it doubles as my winter car, but I feel like most people don't need an SUV for the things they do in their daily life.

I'm glad my sister went with an Alltrack as her car after she got pregnant instead of an SUV or minivan. I want to see wagons come back into style

I’m right there with you, I really don’t like how the default vehicle now is huge truck or SUV. I don’t know how else to describe it other than excessive.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^
Because a lot of people are just sheepish followers.

They're highly susceptible to advertising and feel the need to keep up with their neighbors.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
^
That and an ever-increasing anxiety about the world. The incessant violence in our media creates a distorted sense of how dangerous the world is, coupled with life in an era of dizzying technological and social change creates a zeitgeist defined by anxiety; being enclosed in big, heavy, SUV's that ride above normal cars and pedestrians help assuage those fears.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I bought a new Forester Limited for my wife earlier this year.

She uses the cargo space to the limit often. Very functional car. She likes it too. I don't see how a car guy like me cannot like the Forester's functionality. It's a no frills car, but why not. My Golf-R won't have to do any heavy lifting.. nor my other cars, so a very welcome addition.

Would be even more stupid seeing a Golf-R with a plank sticking out from its open gate.. possibly.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I bought a new Forester Limited for my wife earlier this year.

She uses the cargo space to the limit often. Very functional car. She likes it too. I don't see how a car guy like me cannot like the Forester's functionality. It's a no frills car, but why not. My Golf-R won't have to do any heavy lifting.. nor my other cars, so a very welcome addition.

Would be even more stupid seeing a Golf-R with a plank sticking out from its open gate.. possibly.

I totally get that, I have no problem with buying a bigger car when it will fit your needs better. The Golf is perfect for moving people around but for lots of “stuff” it’s not so suited. And to me the Forester is nice, and it isn’t a “big” SUV. I’m really talking about stuff like land yacht Suburban and those new trucks where the hood is taller than most people’s heads. Like where are they going to draw the line, is it when the cabin is 10 feet above the ground? 😂