GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I watched a guy cry on one of my early track days because his brakes caught on fire and ended up damaging a large portion of the rest of the car before someone could put the fire out. It could have been resolved so easy with a fire extinguisher in the cabin and he probably would have laughed about it. I got a fire extinguisher the next day, and want to eventually put a fire supression system in the car that runs lines to the engine bay. Fires are scary.

Also do the clubs out by you not require tow hooks? Most of them that I go to you have to have at least one to go out. Got scolded earlier this year for only having a hook in the front and not one in the rear.

Yeah I would say fires kill cars more than walls do.

They probably "require" it but I didn't get asked about it going through tech. I did get crap about running hoosiers without a roll bar, but because they were "DOT" stamped they gave me a pass.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Needed to adjust the parking brake, instead of taking forever to remove the center console I just cut a hole in the plastic behind the cubby. Meh, it's all coming out eventually anyways.
IMG_20200910_174310.jpg

zef

Drag Racing Champion
GTI interior sucks absolute donkey balls. I've never been so frustrated working on this car than when I was trying to take the interior apart. You literally have to pull everything from the climate control BACK just so you can take the center console out. Ridiculous.

jay745

GTI interior sucks absolute donkey balls. I've never been so frustrated working on this car than when I was trying to take the interior apart. You literally have to pull everything from the climate control BACK just so you can take the center console out. Ridiculous.
Yeah it sucks, done it before that's why I decided to just cut a hole instead 😂

riceburner

Autocross Champion
nice updates Jay. That really sucks with your brake situation but i'm glad you got to track it (once?) this year at least. Hella consistent laps! Good idea on just cutting into the back of the center console - taking it apart is such a PITA, so not worth it...

if you ever do decide to paint your calipers ricer yellow, highly recommend the G2 paint kits - it's brush on ceramic paint essentially but is so strong and holds/looks just like powdercoat. I've used it a few times and its great.

probably not worth the money, esp since you are mid-fab in your project, but did you ever see these? https://savagechassis.com/products/mk7-brake-ducting-kit
i imagine you can basically do the same with some random vacuum/dryer duct or something... this just looks cool haha

jay745

nice updates Jay. That really sucks with your brake situation but i'm glad you got to track it (once?) this year at least. Hella consistent laps! Good idea on just cutting into the back of the center console - taking it apart is such a PITA, so not worth it...

if you ever do decide to paint your calipers ricer yellow, highly recommend the G2 paint kits - it's brush on ceramic paint essentially but is so strong and holds/looks just like powdercoat. I've used it a few times and its great.

probably not worth the money, esp since you are mid-fab in your project, but did you ever see these? https://savagechassis.com/products/mk7-brake-ducting-kit
i imagine you can basically do the same with some random vacuum/dryer duct or something... this just looks cool haha
Heh I've been to the track 4 times this year, and may be going again oct 13 but not sure yet.

I'm probably going to use the g2 kit this winter instead of powder coating, just not sure how it will hold up to the heat.

Never seen that kit before but from the looks of it the hoses just feed air into the wheel well and not direct into the rotor. Not sure how effective that would be. And $199 just for the hoses woof. The hoses I bought on summit racing were $30

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Never seen that kit before but from the looks of it the hoses just feed air into the wheel well and not direct into the rotor. Not sure how effective that would be. And $199 just for the hoses woof. The hoses I bought on summit racing were $30

It is hard to tell, but it looks like it dumps the air right into the side of the caliper? Best case scenario is it cools the inside section of caliper and rotor which I would think would cause warping, half the rotor being colder than the other side. The little red rings showing through the grille are cool though.....style points I guess.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
yeah i hear ya on the hoses jay, just sharing for the hell of it. You are definitely on the right track.
I've never tracked any of my cars, but i guess i can say two or three of the cars i've had have held up to spirited driving and some pretty high speed braking with zero issues. I'd consult to the google though

junk_struct

Very new to my second hand 2010 GTI Mk6, but very interested in your work on the brake ducts. I overheated my new brake calipers last track day (new 4 piston calipers were mean to make things better, not worse). I will likely be following your path.
I have some left over carbon fibre and was thinking a mould to match the fog lights was a good place to bring in the air. Are you coming in via the main grill or elsewhere (I saw you mentioned naca ducts but wasn't sure where you were going to put them).

jay745

Very new to my second hand 2010 GTI Mk6, but very interested in your work on the brake ducts. I overheated my new brake calipers last track day (new 4 piston calipers were mean to make things better, not worse). I will likely be following your path.
I have some left over carbon fibre and was thinking a mould to match the fog lights was a good place to bring in the air. Are you coming in via the main grill or elsewhere (I saw you mentioned naca ducts but wasn't sure where you were going to put them).
@junk_struct I'm putting the naca ducts in place of the fogs too, I originally wanted to fabricate some ducts in the shape of the oem fog light using sheet metal but after a few iterations it wasn't working like I hoped. I now mounted a big piece of hdpe plastic over the whole bumper, deleted the fog lights and cut out a portion of the grill to mount the naca ducts inside. I still have some work to do, haven't had much time. Need to cut out the hdpe and then when it's all done I'll vinyl wrap the bumper with the hdpe underneath so it'll look somewhat normal.
20201019_165938.jpg

IMG5210862920205140275.jpg

20201003_172647.jpg

junk_struct

Thanks for photos, really helpful.
So you are taking the zone for the fog light and the adjacent blank zone for the intake.
What stopped you using just the fog light? Was it just too hard to form the shape in metal, or did access or something else stop you going that route?

jay745

Thanks for photos, really helpful.
So you are taking the zone for the fog light and the adjacent blank zone for the intake.
What stopped you using just the fog light? Was it just too hard to form the shape in metal, or did access or something else stop you going that route?
Woops @junk_struct sorry thought I replied to this earlier but see that I didn't. Basically it was too hard to mold sheet metal into the shape of the fog light.

junk_struct

Woops @junk_struct sorry thought I replied to this earlier but see that I didn't. Basically it was too hard to mold sheet metal into the shape of the fog light.
Thansk for post. I have a bit of carbon fibre sheet left over from a bike fix and was thinking I could make a foam mould and drape some carbon over. I figured aesthetics wouldn't be too important as long as it fitted neatly..