GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Tuned

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does Ed tune the start/stop to default to off kinda like how APR does it? I know this isn’t a big thing but I kinda like how it’s done and you don’t have to look at the icon on the cluster like disabling using VCDS/OBDELEVEN. Thanks

I don't know if he does. Haven't heard of him doing it. But the easiest way to disable start/stop is to simply unplug it from the side of the battery. You will get a message in the MFD everytime you start the car briefly but it won't appear again until you turn the car off and back on. And it doesn't leave the icon on either.

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I don't know if he does. Haven't heard of him doing it. But the easiest way to disable start/stop is to simply unplug it from the side of the battery. You will get a message in the MFD everytime you start the car briefly but it won't appear again until you turn the car off and back on. And it doesn't leave the icon on either.

Thanks for the reply. I’m aware of the various ways to disable I just like the OEM+ like approach APR takes and was hoping maybe it’s done else where.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's easily done via OBDEleven though.

To each their own but I can't understand why people are averse to just unplugging it from the side of the battery. Takes 5 seconds and it's free and is easily plugged back in.

Branman

To each their own but I can't understand why people are averse to just unplugging it from the side of the battery. Takes 5 seconds and it's free and is easily plugged back in.

That’s ok. I’m just very picky about my car and rather not have faults and things pop up. It takes away from the experience of enjoying my car. Free doesn’t always make it the best. You are correct though sir to each their own. I’m sure Ed could get it sorted out as he has done a few tweaks that APR has not been able to do. Maybe if he still reads this thread he would chime in.

Branman

It's easily done via OBDEleven though.

As I’ve said I’m aware of the ways to disable it. I just am looking for a better more OEM+ like solution. APR has figured it out and works just fine as I’m tuned by them. I am simply asking if anyone has read or heard of this being done by Ed. My next upgrades down the road be looking at other tuners so I’m just doing my research.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
As I’ve said I’m aware of the ways to disable it. I just am looking for a better more OEM+ like solution. APR has figured it out and works just fine as I’m tuned by them. I am simply asking if anyone has read or heard of this being done by Ed. My next upgrades down the road be looking at other tuners so I’m just doing my research.

Nothing more OEM than using the existing VW code to turn it off with either VCDS or ODB11. These tools just work with the existing code in your ECU not install anything like APR.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That’s ok. I’m just very picky about my car and rather not have faults and things pop up. It takes away from the experience of enjoying my car. Free doesn’t always make it the best. You are correct though sir to each their own. I’m sure Ed could get it sorted out as he has done a few tweaks that APR has not been able to do. Maybe if he still reads this thread he would chime in.

Email or call him.

Branman

Nothing more OEM than using the existing VW code to turn it off with either VCDS or ODB11. These tools just work with the existing code in your ECU not install anything like APR.

There is nothing OEM about using VCDS or OBDELEVEN to disable it. Unless I’ve missed a new way to code it out basically the current way is a hack. You are telling the car false info so the system never activates. If there is a different way than that then I’d love to hear about it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There is nothing OEM about using VCDS or OBDELEVEN to disable it. Unless I’ve missed a new way to code it out basically the current way is a hack. You are telling the car false info so the system never activates. If there is a different way than that then I’d love to hear about it.

APR is doing the same thing.

Branman

APR is doing the same thing.

It’s completely different from what everyone is doing actually. When I start my car the system is turned off as if I pushed the button. I can turn it on and off and it functions just like OEM. APR has simply defaulted the system to off instead of on every time the car is started. I get no faults no dash icon with a line through it. If this is being done with OBDELEVEN or VCDS then please tell me how it’s done because I’m not aware this has been figured out.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
You are very correct sir. Just some mods are more thought out and more OEM+ in nature than others.
What benefits does being OEM+ bring to you? Just curious.

Coding with OBDEleven will not cause any issues. Or faults. You only get the Start/Stop icon showing its disabled (just like you'd get when you first start driving the car).

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI

You are litteraly changing OEM options. Options built into the ECU software, you are not adding anything or removing just changing pre-existing options that dont happen to be set for this region. This option could be set in other regions of the world for all we know.

If you have a nice dealer they could also make the same changes with their VAS tool.