GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof opens randomly

Vdub2687

Anyone else have their sunroof open randomly without having the keys in the ignition and the dial is in the closed position?

zrickety

The Fixer
I've heard you can clean the switch, but basically that's what's going on. I had some luck moving it to open and close a few times. Buys you some time.

Timothy Bryce

Ready to race!

tzd

Ready to race!
Yes, something inside the switch is worn out causing the contacts to trigger even when the dial is not moved.

I replaced my switch. It comes in either gray or beige:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...sunroof-switch-corn-silk-beige/1k0959613ch67/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/sunroof-switch-pearl-grey/1k0959613c2en/

Replacing it yourself is do-able although it takes some effort.

I followed this video:

But it left a critical step out. I left a comment in the video to describe the critical step:

"1:29 why would you edit this part out? Disconnecting the sunroof switch cable was the most difficult part, and it was the reason why I searched, found, and watched this video, only to find that you edited out the part where you actually disconnected the sunroof cable connector. Thanks for nothing! For future watchers, the secret is that there is an 'under-lip' at the wire-end of the connecter. Use a small flat metal screwdriver to use the under lip as leverage to force-push the cable away from the socket."

Timothy Bryce

Ready to race!
Is it pretty straight forward to get the switch out and back in? Mine has been doing this for awhile and it is highly irritating.
For future watchers, the secret is that there is an 'under-lip' at the wire-end of the connecter. Use a small flat metal screwdriver to use the under lip as leverage to force-push the cable away from the socket."

Yup; agree with this; it is a straightforward process; I think the whole swap took about 15 minutes tops but the cable was hard to release. I did it by hand but it was very tough. You have to take a leap of faith when bending back the retaining clips that they don't break but they're quite tough. This pic shows the lip under the connector plug.

Attachments

• IMG_8765.jpg
    IMG_8765.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 209

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Yeah I went through this a while back. I ended up getting a used switch for about $15 and it took me almost no time to pop the overhead panel off to swap it out. Been working fantastic ever since

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion