GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Greeting from a Chicago pothole

eurogti1

So this morning a Chicago pothole gave me a present of a flat tire. YAY!

Since the tires are over 9 years old (I drive about 5k a year), I decided to buy a set of new tires instead of getting just the one that's gone.

The tires that I have right now are Continental Extreme Contact DWS XL and they were very loud from day one. When my mechanic took it for a ride he could not believe how loud they are.

I would appreciate any suggestions for a set of new all season tires that are not loud and that are somewhat good in snow as I live in Chicago :). These would be for my VW GTI 2010

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Pricy, but I’d agree with the as3+. I put a new set on, and they handled better than the old summer tires I had on. Not noticeably noisy either.

Phur

Autocross Champion
The Michelin AS3+ has been replaced with the AS4. I look forward to getting a set. I’ve had two sets of the AS3+ and loved them.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Wow that sucks. I have Continental DWS tires, they are not the XL variety. They have remained quiet. I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles. I'm wondering if your tires being the XL version come into play or possibly you are not rotating them enough?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I had a set of Conti's on the S4, not sure if they were XL or not but they got LOUD after about 10k miles and they were rotated at 5k and they never got quiet again. Made terrible noise up until lease return at 35k miles with 5/32 tread left.

Conti's came on the A3 we got used and they are loud as heck as well. They are fairly new even though the car only had 31k when we bought it, at 45k now and have rotated at 5k-ish. Want to run them out, hate to throw away tires with tread but damn they are annoying.

I tend to lean toward Pirelli's although I have Michelin's on the TTRS and the winters for the Touareg are Michelin but Summers are Pirelli.

eurogti1

sorry for MIA for some time. kid is being home schooled and work has been insane.

anyway...some responses to a few points from above. and thanks for all the feedback!

i did not rotate my tires on a regular basis. i wonder if it was done 4 times over the past 6 years. not sure if the tires were loud from day one.

i talked to my mechanic and he said i should go with michelin tires. i made the decision to go with AS4. i'm biting the bullet as they might be loud as well but i'm getting brand new tires and worth a try.

my wife wanted me to buy cheaper tires as these may be loud as well but hey i sold it as a safety concern to go with cheaper tires LOL

thanks again!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I'm sure you'll like the AS4. The only Michelin that I recall being a huge disappointment was the Pilot Sport A/S, but it was also directional.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Rotate your tires this time. ;)(y)