GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ROLL CALL: Who is still here from 2010-2011? - even if you just pop in for fun to re-live old GTI memories.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Got my car in 2011 but joined in 2012, recently put a lot of money into refreshing my Mk6 since I still haven't liked anything better!

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Got my car in 2011 but joined in 2012, recently put a lot of money into refreshing my Mk6 since I still haven't liked anything better!
Same here - I like the mk7 but it wasn't different enough from the mk6 to justify spending a whole lot more money when my car is still in really good condition. I am considering a mk8 but I will have to see and drive it in person first, so far what ive seen online hasn't really impressed me that much. In fact I don't it looks good at all. We'll have to see what the aftermarket has to offer or if VW makes and changes before it gets to the US.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Same here - I like the mk7 but it wasn't different enough from the mk6 to justify spending a whole lot more money when my car is still in really good condition. I am considering a mk8 but I will have to see and drive it in person first, so far what ive seen online hasn't really impressed me that much. In fact I don't it looks good at all. We'll have to see what the aftermarket has to offer or if VW makes and changes before it gets to the US.

I'm glad to hear they are made in Germany again like the Mk6 was. However I don't think the front end styling will grow on me. The new tech is cool but the lack of physical buttons seems like a step back and I don't think touchscreens in general age very well, and the interior is covered in piano black.

Personally I would have loved to see a more retro future type styling similar to what Honda did with the Honda E, I feel like a lot of manufacturers are trying to make the cars look more sporty and aggressive similar to Audi or something.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I'm glad to hear they are made in Germany again like the Mk6 was. However I don't think the front end styling will grow on me. The new tech is cool but the lack of physical buttons seems like a step back and I don't think touchscreens in general age very well, and the interior is covered in piano black.

Personally I would have loved to see a more retro future type styling similar to what Honda did with the Honda E, I feel like a lot of manufacturers are trying to make the cars look more sporty and aggressive similar to Audi or something.

I felt the same when it first was spied, I hated the pinched face front. But like the new 4 Series beaver fangs, the exterior of the MK8 has grown on me.

However, I kinda hate that interior. It could just be pictures but touchscreens aside, it looks way more plasticky than either the Mk7 or MK6. And I agree that in a decade all these screen heavy interiors will look dated as hell.

jedred1

jedred1
I was a voyeur starting from 2011. I have learned so much from this place. Thank you all for answering my stupid questions

tzd

Ready to race!
I still have my 2010 2.5L Golf! Love the way it drives.

I am considering a mk8 but I will have to see and drive it in person first, so far what ive seen online hasn't really impressed me that much. In fact I don't it looks good at all.

I think the Mk8 lost the spirit of the Golf. The ID.3 is much more Golf-like than the Mk8. Probably their plan to transition Golf drivers to e-vehicles.

Deathbyart

Go Kart Newbie
Same. Except my "refreshing" is just an attempt to get it to stop leaking oil. I love my MK6 but I still want to drive it off a bridge some days.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Same. Except my "refreshing" is just an attempt to get it to stop leaking oil. I love my MK6 but I still want to drive it off a bridge some days.

Yup just replaced a lot of the cooling system and stopped a big leak from my oil cooler. This car hasn't ever had anything major come up but drives me nuts with little things sometimes haha.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Got my GTI in 2011 but then moved to CO in 2013 and decided FWD Stg 2 on ice half the year was lame, used it as an excuse to upgrade to AWD but couldn't get into the new Rs in 2014 so ended up in a S3 my dealer made a stupid good deal on. It doesn't always work, but buying a car on the last day of the month can sometimes be very lucrative lol

So I drifted away and fell into the Audi world but my heart was always in a hatchback. When Audi denied us the RS3 Sportback I went along with the TTRS, but still longed for that hatch.

Early this year I decided to get back into the Mk6 world to build a dedicated track car and spent months searching ads and forums and after a couple close calls almost pulling the trigger on some Stg 2 cars I stumbled on a low mileage Stg 3 car not far from me. I agreed to buy it sight unseen and seller held it a week while bank delayed my check, but hitched up the trailer and finally got out there to pick it up.

Now I am back!!!!

Build is starting slowly due to moving expenses and job changes from the end of 2019 but still getting some progress. Was happy to see the forums still around, even if I did lose my username in the switch.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
wait...is it THE Thumper? that's a name I recognize being around for a while.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
That's me, used to be pretty prolific and lots of projects. Life is a bit hectic nowadays and my car wrenching time is severely limited.

The 'other' Thumper appears to have been like a Mk5 user who last logged in summer of 2012 so since his/her join date was prior to mine on Mk6 when they did the forum merge I got the lame 1 added to my name. Asked if it can be changed since no conflict with any active user but so far no luck. lol