GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock 2012 GTI Base 4dr (Baby Steps)

OverseerMK6

Just going to throw my two cents in...

Get tires; car will be more fun.
I got brand new Michelin all season tires on her. Also I’ve installed the tune and I can feel the power.( Unitronic Stage 1+) I was able to hit 136mph on the straights while the track was wet and the winds were medium to high.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I got brand new Michelin all season tires on her. Also I’ve installed the tune and I can feel the power.( Unitronic Stage 1+) I was able to hit 136mph on the straights while the track was wet and the winds were medium to high.

Better than stock but on a track you really want summers or track tires. Especially if youre at 130 mph

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I have the APR stage 1 tune on my 2012 GTi. It supposedly removes the limiter but I've only been up to 110 in it. Don't know about the unitronic, but the APR had to be bench flashed, can't do it through the ODBII port.

One very easy (and free!) mod you should do to get you started is the Soundaktor delete.
APR tunes don't have to be bench flashed anymore. When I got my stage 1 tune back in 2012 they were still bench flashing, but I think it was shortly after that they started doing it through OBD - I went stage 2 last year and it was done through OBD. Also APR is no longer offering stage 2

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Better than stock but on a track you really want summers or track tires. Especially if youre at 130 mph

Agreed.....you want to go over 120mph........on A/S tires? Tires affect brake distance and effectiveness you know (best BBK in the world won't stop you when the tires keep slipping).

That's another reaosn I love this platform, the list of mods is ENDLESS almost. lol So many ways to blow through buckets of money. :D

walker

Go Kart Newbie
APR tunes don't have to be bench flashed anymore. When I got my stage 1 tune back in 2012 they were still bench flashing, but I think it was shortly after that they started doing it through OBD - I went stage 2 last year and it was done through OBD. Also APR is no longer offering stage 2

I thought older models, (like the 2012) required physically opening the ECU to mechanically disable a connection or something like that. After that, any additional updates could then be done through the OBD. Newer years didn't have this issue.

No longer offering stage 2? interesting. I kept putting off going stage 2, and now it seems pointless to do, now that the car is 8 years old. On the plus side, I've had stage 1 since 2013 and have never had any clutch slipping issues.

OverseerMK6

Swapped to a euro switch today. Literally uninstall and install, but I don’t have independent control over my lights. I’m assuming I’ll need to run a trigger wire based on research I’ve done.

OverseerMK6

I thought older models, (like the 2012) required physically opening the ECU to mechanically disable a connection or something like that. After that, any additional updates could then be done through the OBD. Newer years didn't have this issue.

No longer offering stage 2? interesting. I kept putting off going stage 2, and now it seems pointless to do, now that the car is 8 years old. On the plus side, I've had stage 1 since 2013 and have never had any clutch slipping issues.
My bad I actually have summer tires.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I thought older models, (like the 2012)
How is the 3rd model year out of 5 considered an 'older model' to you lol

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

What track was this that you were able to hit 136 mph?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Oh no, my switch is stuck.

Stuck?

You need the trigger wire to operate fogs separate from headlights yes. It's a fairly easy install and several guides online.

Kinda wondering that myself. Sounds like a stock or lightly tuned car, I can breach those speeds in the TTRS on a few tracks with decent straights (Heartland in KS and Pueblo in CO where the main straight is actually a drag strip).....but it's a 540HP rocketship.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Kinda wondering that myself. Sounds like a stock or lightly tuned car, I can breach those speeds in the TTRS on a few tracks with decent straights (Heartland in KS and Pueblo in CO where the main straight is actually a drag strip).....but it's a 540HP rocketship.

Yes, exactly.... Not trying to be a hater, but I smell BS, simply a misinterpretation of data, or a broken speedo. :) I'm not aware of a track with a long enough straight for a stage 1 (and not even a protune) to get to that speed unless you're driving it off the grand canyon. ;) E46 BMW spec cars (lighter and more hp) barely get close to that on the longest straight at Road Atlanta... So BS!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
There is no track, he just lied cuz I called him out in the first post. If he hit that speed it was on a highway and he's a dumb asshole.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
He is full of #%^t. He lies about the "all seasons" and then says "My bad I actually have summer tires." Ban this stupid kid.