GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone added the rear seat USB charger ports from China?

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Would it be just as easy to put one of the USB sockets into the existing plastic piece. Those round two port sockets are only $10-15. is There enough depth clearance to just add one of those? Example below. The other option I considered was putting this in the cubby under the arm rest since the part you can buy does not have the fit and finish I was hoping for. I like OEM stuff, but this does not meet that criteria.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-Dual...MIlq-Uy8716wIViIbACh10MAhNEAQYAiABEgLtkPD_BwE

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Would it be just as easy to put one of the USB sockets into the existing plastic piece. Those round two port sockets are only $10-15. is There enough depth clearance to just add one of those? Example below. The other option I considered was putting this in the cubby under the arm rest since the part you can buy does not have the fit and finish I was hoping for. I like OEM stuff, but this does not meet that criteria.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-Dual...MIlq-Uy8716wIViIbACh10MAhNEAQYAiABEgLtkPD_BwE

Just added 2 of those to my cx9, 1 in the 2nd row and 1 in the 3rd. So the kids stop complaining about charging devices. Doesn't look as good as these, but really I'll never see them anyway 😁

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Originally I was thinking of having a local shop install some ports like that, or even a simple 12v socket which I could then put in something similar but when I found out about these I wanted the OEM look, like in our Polo. I think I've seen an Audi with a 12v style plug in the rear, which was suprising.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
So choose one of male (1J0972762) or female (1J0972752) and swap with the equivalent connector used for the 12V socket. I decided to swap female heads between the harness and the wiring under the center console as the male head attached to the 12V socket was wrapped in an adhesive foam. "Borrowed" a hair pin from my wife and it worked perfectly as a terminal release tool!

I like this approach. I'd like to find the two connections but couldn't find them anywhere reasonably fast + cheap. 1J0972762 seems to be available, but 1J0972752 looks like it only comes as part of the blower harness. Do you have any other PN's or leads on these connectors?

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
Before rearranging the harness connectors with the OEM connectors of the armrest 12V, I had looked into purchase the matching OEM connectors from Aliexpress (if you're willing to wait 3 weeks). Found that the 1J0972752 were readily available for cheap from many vendors,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

but 1J0972762 hard to find unless you wanted to buy a lot of 50... but the cheapest component I could find that threw in a 1J0972762 was a replacement 12V socket (part 3C0919299)...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

If you haven't put your order for the USB rear vents, I would have ordered these two additional parts at the same time. But once I got the terminal removal tool working well, I'm quite happy re-using the connectors that came with the included harness.

I like this approach. I'd like to find the two connections but couldn't find them anywhere reasonably fast + cheap. 1J0972762 seems to be available, but 1J0972752 looks like it only comes as part of the blower harness. Do you have any other PN's or leads on these connectors?

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Thanks for the PN's. I was able to find 1J0-972-762 + 1J0-972-752 from my local dealer for $6 ea. Photos of the install soon.

Before rearranging the harness connectors with the OEM connectors of the armrest 12V, I had looked into purchase the matching OEM connectors from Aliexpress (if you're willing to wait 3 weeks). Found that the 1J0972752 were readily available for cheap from many vendors,

but 1J0972762 hard to find unless you wanted to buy a lot of 50... but the cheapest component I could find that threw in a 1J0972762 was a replacement 12V socket (part 3C0919299)...

If you haven't put your order for the USB rear vents, I would have ordered these two additional parts at the same time. But once I got the terminal removal tool working well, I'm quite happy re-using the connectors that came with the included harness.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Update:

I received both connectors from the dealer, however it looks like the male pins are different on the Aliexpress harness vs what the connector (1J0-972-762 ) needs. I might be able to "make them work" but I'm trying to track down the correct pin PN first. I think perhaps it is one of these: N 103 191 03 / N 103 192 03 / N 103 193 03.
Female sockets fit just fine, slotted and snapped into 1J0-972-752.

Another Update:

I figured out the correct contact.

N 10319203
- 2.5mm2 / 14 AWG wire guage

For the Standard Power Time series, it's Tyco PN 1-962918-1 and they're readily available on Mouser.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...62918-1-Cut-Strip?qs=u4fy/sgLU9OQPF/x0Xjm2A==

1601413583052.png
1601413643018.png

Last edited:

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I got around to doing this today and finally just finished. I followed along to the video and still had my hiccups along the way.

In the video the sides of the console looked to come apart so easily once the screws are out, and on my other car I have played with that is the case. This was much harder, and I was following so intently I forgot to realise I had an Engine Start button to also unplug!

Difficulties of unplugging connectors and the trim aside I was stuck on feeding the USB power to the back, I didnt' realised how blocked that section was, but the video gave the clue and that was done. Then the USB power would not fit and I realised I had to cut part of the plug off so it would go in.

Then the moment of truth and the realisation that I needed to plug the Engine Start button back in so I could do a test before going futher, yay!

And then, nothing. I was bummed as I really didn't want to re-visit this anytime soon.

I remembered it could be as simple as the wires in the plug so I came here to get an idea and then went to check in the car. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the power from the car USB was unplugged! I did recall it didn't click and it must have come loose when I was feeding the line through. This time I pushed harder, it clicked in and the USB charging at the rear was working!!!

Then I managed to get the new rear section installed in the car and it was much easier putting everything back in reverse.

Earlier this morning I put in the correct 7.5 version of the dynamic indicators and now this is done, which is good. A couple of goodies that most other people don't have on their cars.

So this also confirms that this part fits a RHD vehicle, and I do have the electric park brake, so the new part was pretty much identical and fit the same as before. So as I suspected there is no difference back there between RHD and LHD, thank goodness.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
As an aside, did anybody else need to clear codes afterwards? Main thing I noticed was a handbrake error and it wasn't working and there was an error message about it.

Connected the OBD11 and found 8 errors to clear, which sorted everything out.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I'm in Australia and I bought it from the US via eBay. I tried to buy my first one from a European country, it was the cheapest, but then there was a postage issue and they did a refund and I had to wait longer to order another. Great device.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
No, that's free. You don't need credits to do much but it can be easy to do so, though it may not always work.

Everything you can do in the one click apps can be done for free with instructions.

You usually get 100 credits with the Pro licence and you can get some free credits daily as well.