GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 S3

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the article I just read is accurate, it's only getting 305HP like years ago, so I'm doubting the R will get more power.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
tell us more about these articles you are privy to?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Sounds wierd saying it, but this gti might be my last new gas car. Pretty sur eim going electric something after this and then maybe buying an old pickup or 60s-early 70s muscle car era for the weekends.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Sounds wierd saying it, but this gti might be my last new gas car. Pretty sur eim going electric something after this and then maybe buying an old pickup or 60s-early 70s muscle car era for the weekends.

Ya that's why I went with a 6MT, because you know that will be gone too in the MK8.

Biggest issue is there are no real desirable electric cars still. What companies eSUV do you want here in Canada / America? Or you have the Tesla Model 3 or S. If you want a proper tach / dash board it will cost you an extra $3k in the Model 3...even then it's a very numb drive, as if you are sitting in front of your XBox or PS with a steering wheel, seat and pedals. The way Tesla is going, they want to make self driving fleets ala Uber, so waiting for v2.0, will only have more games and fart apps, and no improvement to the driving experience. I can't afford a Taycan, and VW has a fleet of eSUV's coming.

Otherwise I think ya my replacement would be a 718 Cayman GTS 6MT (but a DCT is fine). Preferably with the least amount of electronic nannies

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ya that's why I went with a 6MT, because you know that will be gone too in the MK8.

Biggest issue is there are no real desirable electric cars still. What companies eSUV do you want here in Canada / America? Or you have the Tesla Model 3 or S. If you want a proper tach / dash board it will cost you an extra $3k in the Model 3...even then it's a very numb drive, as if you are sitting in front of your XBox or PS with a steering wheel, seat and pedals. The way Tesla is going, they want to make self driving fleets ala Uber, so waiting for v2.0, will only have more games and fart apps, and no improvement to the driving experience. I can't afford a Taycan, and VW has a fleet of eSUV's coming.

Otherwise I think ya my replacement would be a 718 Cayman GTS 6MT (but a DCT is fine). Preferably with the least amount of electronic nannies

I was thinking a model Y. But with all the options coming out who knows where i will land. I still will want to work on something, thats why i'm thinking an old pickup or muscle car will due as a weekend project.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The new 2.0T "IS38" (or whatever new turbo it gets) EA888 "Gen 4" (They are calling it gen 4) is 316bhp... The new Arteon R and Tiguan R have it.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/316bhp-arteon-r-big-fast-handsome-vw and https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suvs/say-hello-new-316bhp-volkswagen-tiguan-r

edit: American articles (Motor Trend) are saying 306 hp and 295 lb-ft (compared to the old US spec gen 3 IS38 that was rated at 288bhp/292ps)

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-audi-s3-sedan-sportback-first-look-review/

I'm thinking the 316hp one is the European tune.... the old gen3 was 296bhp/300ps for Europe..... Not much of a power bump... at least on paper

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I was thinking a model Y. But with all the options coming out who knows where i will land. I still will want to work on something, thats why i'm thinking an old pickup or muscle car will due as a weekend project.

Go with an old muscle car and skip the electronic shit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I understand Tesla isn't a paragon of excellence when it comes to customer service or parts availability. Customers complained they can make a rocket faster than they can make a fender.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hopefully in 2028 ( 10 yrs into my R ownership) they get it figured out and they will have something like a e-R or ID.R .

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I understand Tesla isn't a paragon of excellence when it comes to customer service or parts availability. Customers complained they can make a rocket faster than they can make a fender.
I know a couple Tesla owners and they all love their cars and talk about how low maintenance and reliable they are, but they're also in loaners all the time. My mother in law's model X has been in for repairs on 14 different occasions over a 3 year span. My coworkers model 3 was similar, 6 trips in the first year, in a loaner more than his own car. And they aren't little problems, it's motors, batteries, the whole infotainment screen locking up, doors that stop opening.

I'm more excited about the new VW electrics, but I will wait until they bring a non-suv. An electric arteon would be very interesting and the silent operation would fit with the luxury image.