GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf R owner - Few Questions

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Hi,

New Golf R owner and 1st time poster so be gentle.

2014, DSG, Black Leather Interior, Wide Screen Sat Nav, DCC

1. When I turn the engine off there seems to be what sounds like a buzzing sound or a fan that continues to run for approx 3-4 minutes after. Is this normal? Happens everytime the car is turned off.

2. DCC - I can't really tell much difference in the suspension or comfort. Any way to check this is working? Does it flag an error on VCDS. Looking through the rear wheels I can see it has Monroes dampers. Are these stock? Has a monroes sticker on.

3. Ride Height - Iv been told the car is standard by the previous owner but if definately looks lower on the back than front. Using the old finger test, I can fit 3 finger between the arch and tyre at the front but only 2 at the back. I have attached a picture. Any thoughts?

20201007_174311.jpg

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Hi and welcome.
1, yes the buzzing sound is normal, though 3-4 mins sounds longer than I've encountered or read about in forums.
2. Switching between Race and comfort mode with DCC is, for me, night and day, There's a very noticeable difference, even between comfort and normal. I have Monroe dampers, which are stock.
3.To my eye, you look like standard ride height, others who are more informed might have a better qualified answer.

Enjoy!
J.

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will switch between race and comfort today and go over a few bumps to see if I can notice the difference.

Ride height is difficult to tell in pictures but it definately seems a tad lower at the back than front and I wouldn't have thought if anything, it should be the other way round.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
1. Normal depending on how slow you drove the last few min or how hot the ambient air is, fan will run as needed. I found that the draw is minimal.

2. DCC you should be able to tell a significant difference in damping between comfort and race modes. If not, it is possible the dampers are not working properly.. you are sure the car came with DCC?

3. My Golf-R has a slight rake (rear higher) as it should in stock form. Older picture I shared on this site a while back..

1602157791206.png

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
1. Normal depending on how slow you drove the last few min or how hot the ambient air is, fan will run as needed. I found that the draw is minimal.

2. DCC you should be able to tell a significant difference in damping between comfort and race modes. If not, it is possible the dampers are not working properly.. you are sure the car came with DCC?

3. My Golf-R has a slight rake (rear higher) as it should in stock form. Older picture I shared on this site a while back..

View attachment 188113

Thanks you.

Iv bought the car pre owned and on the sat Nav it has the dcc options with the different modes so assuming that means it's got DCC.

Car sits slightly lower at the back. Iv just stuck my head under and checked the springs and they look like they are in fairly good condition compared to the rest of the car which suggests they've been replaced. Iv attached some pictures. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201008_132306.jpg
    20201008_132306.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
  • 20201008_132305.jpg
    20201008_132305.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
  • 20201008_132257.jpg
    20201008_132257.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
  • 20201008_132245.jpg
    20201008_132245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • 20201008_132239.jpg
    20201008_132239.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
This picture suggests the springs appear to have similar corrosion.. it could be factory springs that just sagged after use. You can always replace the springs which is not too difficult to do.

I'd probably just replace the dampers too with aftermarket.

1602163732543.png

Also looks like your car has DCC.. but perhaps just worn out too.

1602163894251.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Need a paint brush and to hit the underneath with some Corroseal .... it’ll take care of that rust

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I usually use a wire brush to remove all loose rust and flaking paint and touch up with Rustolum or any rust inhibitor and all other areas with either motor oil or Fluid Film for hard to reach areas.

It will be a lot of work (you can do it in sections), but if you want longevity you will probably want to clean and inspect the undercarriage at least once a year and touch up on rusted areas. I usually do this every Spring even though my Golf-R is hibernated from Oct to Apr..'

On my daily drivers I have kind of given up.. LOL I just wash the salt off with my undercarriage wash wand and just replace the car every 5-6yrs.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Mileage on car? Whenever you start going north of 60k miles shocks could be done by then. Rough guestimate, the shocks can go sooner or live longer.

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
I usually use a wire brush to remove all loose rust and flaking paint and touch up with Rustolum or any rust inhibitor and all other areas with either motor oil or Fluid Film for hard to reach areas.

It will be a lot of work (you can do it in sections), but if you want longevity you will probably want to clean and inspect the undercarriage at least once a year and touch up on rusted areas. I usually do this every Spring even though my Golf-R is hibernated from Oct to Apr..'

On my daily drivers I have kind of given up.. LOL I just wash the salt off with my undercarriage wash wand and just replace the car every 5-6yrs.

You've got me thinking. Looking underneath today it definately needs doing. I don't have a ramp though and not sure the best way to do it. Wouldn't mind taking it somewhere to get it done but it's finding somewhere that will entertain it really.

Yooni7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Mileage on car? Whenever you start going north of 60k miles shocks could be done by then. Rough guestimate, the shocks can go sooner or live longer.

54,000 at the moment. Something to bear in mind. Doesn't feel like the shocks have gone yet. In relation to the Dcc maybe it's just me not noticing the difference in suspension. Can definately hear the rev increase and feel the steering tighten. Its a shame there's no other way to tell.

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
54,000 at the moment. Something to bear in mind. Doesn't feel like the shocks have gone yet. In relation to the Dcc maybe it's just me not noticing the difference in suspension. Can definately hear the rev increase and feel the steering tighten. Its a shame there's no other way to tell.

Hi and welcome! I just got my 7.5 couple months ago used as well and have been trying to figure out a way to see if there's an issue with DCC. I've been hearing slight tapping/clicking noises near the passenger side area - took it to a mechanic and they're saying its most likely tires and shocks. Then I took it to the dealership and they're saying shocks are good and it might just be the stock tires.

So I ended up swapping out my stock tires for brand new continental extremecontact sports and I'm still hearing these clicking noises randomly while slowing down to a stop, going over dips/bumps, turning, etc. Thoughts anyone?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Hi and welcome! I just got my 7.5 couple months ago used as well and have been trying to figure out a way to see if there's an issue with DCC. I've been hearing slight tapping/clicking noises near the passenger side area - took it to a mechanic and they're saying its most likely tires and shocks. Then I took it to the dealership and they're saying shocks are good and it might just be the stock tires.

So I ended up swapping out my stock tires for brand new continental extremecontact sports and I'm still hearing these clicking noises randomly while slowing down to a stop, going over dips/bumps, turning, etc. Thoughts anyone?
I'd say that it might be your strut mounts, as they can make the sounds you describe, but your car is likely too new to already have significantly degraded strut mounts--it doesn't have over 30,000 miles on it, does it? Also, it doesn't have 034 strut mounts installed, does it? Because they are known to make those exact sounds if an additional washer isn't inserted to compensate for the reduced thickness compared to the OE mount.