GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here!

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
I think a lot of the "experts" will end up eating their words. So weird how they like to rabidly attack anything APR. I think the silent majority appreciate APR's solid engineering. Arin must have a triple layer flame proof suit.
I fully agree with the quality. Top notch. I also agree with calling out the “marketing”. I get it, but this is also not the audience to fall for that.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I think a lot of the "experts" will end up eating their words. So weird how they like to rabidly attack anything APR. I think the silent majority appreciate APR's solid engineering. Arin must have a triple layer flame proof suit.
I just want to see how bad ait climbs at a red light for about 20-30 seconds. That’s all

A lot of folks just instantly went at this human being with pitchforks bro. The gti community really is something else bro. The Subaru guys would’ve a) asked, does this need a tune. And then b) thanked apr

Yeeesh

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You guys asking why we are critical of APR haven't been around here very long have you?

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

The reactions do seem to be rather harsh. Imagine if APR sold the TPC20...

Tjbell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE DSG
I appreciate APR's craftsmanship(had a apr cf intake on my mk6), and I see what people are saying about them "skewing numbers" but at the end of the day, every single company in the history does this. If someone wants to drop 1k on an intake, let them. I like the way they look. Even if it gives you 10 whp your likely not to feel it on your butt dyno. Apr is trying to make to products for the mqb, a lot more than can be said about other companies.

That being said, I wouldn't spend that much on an intake, ever.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I don't have any issue with APR, I like a lot of their products. But I think all open intakes are stupid. My dad could make one and I'd say exactly the same thing.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I just want to see how bad ait climbs at a red light for about 20-30 seconds. That’s all

A lot of folks just instantly went at this human being with pitchforks bro. The gti community really is something else bro. The Subaru guys would’ve a) asked, does this need a tune. And then b) thanked apr

Yeeesh

engineer_cap.png

Going full "engineer" on @Arin@APR

The problem you're likely to see repeated with your temperature approach is that Arin will attempt to discredit it without sound logic as he's done repeatedly now in this discussion. He refers to there being real world data and dyno results that are in disagreement with user data, but doesn't provide the real world data or a description of how it was collected. He claims user data is invalid but then cannot defend why. Once called out for these empty claims he moves onto something else. It not an uncommon situation for when engineering types confront sales people. You end up playing whack'a'mole trying to get facts from them.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Going full "engineer" on @Arin@APR

The problem you're likely to see repeated with your temperature approach is that Arin will attempt to discredit it without sound logic as he's done repeatedly now in this discussion. He refers to there being real world data and dyno results that are in disagreement with user data, but doesn't provide the real world data or a description of how it was collected. He claims user data is invalid but then cannot defend why. Once called out for these empty claims he moves onto something else. It not an uncommon situation for when engineering types confront sales people. You end up playing whack'a'mole trying to get facts from them.

I don't blame Arin, he's the PR guy peddling the marketing he was given and his job is to support it / the product / the company. If he can get better answers or better information and provide it that's great but until then he's gonna stick to the company line.

They're a big company that has been around a long time so obviously their marketing works. That's the whole point of it. Any testing done that produced unfavorable results was tossed and we'll see what they want us to see. But we are probably a more discerning, slightly more obsessive group than their average consumer so the subtleties they're trying to get away with they can't get away with here. Even still, I'm sure they've sold 20 of these to forum members already.

I don't hate them for it, doesn't mean we can't call them out though.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Arin isn't just the "pr guy" lol he made all of those charts, he is in charge of all the marketing for apr and also works on product offerings. Don't try to say he's just a minion doing what he's told, he isn't.

Arin decides what "the company line" is and that is why I called him out directly.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I don't have any issue with APR, I like a lot of their products. But I think all open intakes are stupid. My dad could make one and I'd say exactly the same thing.

I actually welcome this opinion. I think it's critical we give you guys options. Some will like one setup over another. Some people care about looks and others don't. Some care about sound in that they want it loud, and others don't. Some want to be the DIY ninja - which truth be told, I think is pretty cool and I was in the same boat with my MK4 and my MK5. Some people want to tinker. Some people want to buy something off the shelf and install it on their own. Some want a dealer to do everything. Simply put, we're all different. I have another system I'd like to make (maybe 2 more) for this platform. So, I plan to give you guys more options in the future and hopefully I'm able to make a few products that makes a lot of people happy.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Arin isn't just the "pr guy" lol he made all of those charts, he is in charge of all the marketing for apr and also works on product offerings. Don't try to say he's just a minion doing what he's told, he isn't.

Arin decides what "the company line" is and that is why I called him out directly.

My mistake then. Didn't mean to diminish his role.

The over reliance on charts to show flow characteristics and power gains does seem to be somewhat unique to APR's marketing of their intakes. Made a quick look and IE and Racingline don't do that for their intakes (though IE does mention figures for power and airflow gains). I appeciate the thought, in principle, of trying to show the benefits but again it all goes back to how you do it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I actually welcome this opinion. I think it's critical we give you guys options. Some will like one setup over another. Some people care about looks and others don't. Some care about sound in that they want it loud, and others don't. Some want to be the DIY ninja - which truth be told, I think is pretty cool and I was in the same boat with my MK4 and my MK5. Some people want to tinker. Some people want to buy something off the shelf and install it on their own. Some want a dealer to do everything. Simply put, we're all different. I have another system I'd like to make (maybe 2 more) for this platform. So, I plan to give you guys more options in the future and hopefully I'm able to make a few products that makes a lot of people happy.
The fact that you're here talking about your product and being cordial about the abuse speaks loudly. Continuing to offer new product for a car at the end of its life cycle is nice to have too.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
VW community = APR hate
Audi community = APR respect
Porsche community = APR respect

Hmm... Strange how the community of the cheaper brand hates the premium performance company.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
When you are looking at an intake that costs 10% of the value of your car you bet people (who are at the top of their budget) will give any claims a discerning eye.

Fixed*