GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here!

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
If you read my previous posts - APR clearly has top notch build quality and QA. I’m not willing to spend an arm and a leg across relatively similar performance among parts as you blindly would.

As far as the IC - $300 and flows better than APR ($900), though does not cool nearly as well.

http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-r-intercooler-comparison/

Second, they are both 3” cat backs. Considering it isn’t a restriction on a GTI to begin with until maybe above >400whp (10-15whp at most). Explain how their exhaust is so much better aside from build quality.

Lastly, we are on the topic of intakes here (the point of this topic). If you know about this platform at all you would know that they really don’t do jack shit beyond what a modified stock intake can do. So please, pay your lump sum just because you can.

http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/09/ultimate-mk7-gti-air-intake/

First, I never said "so much better"

Second, you literally just told me why APR's IC and catback are better... So why didn't you buy them? Budget right?

Third, did I say APR's intake does anything more than a modified stock airbox? Although, I definitely trust APR and APTuning (I've been to their shop/talked to these guys/had them do work on my car) over that site you linked. That person is not an engineer and he is running garage tests on budget equipment that he's rigged up. That data must be very accurate.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Is there a reason for this? I’m new. Been around for about two months. And I’ve noticed that same exact trend.

Look at all the responses that result in money being a factor and you'll get your answer. Balling on a budget, ain't nothing wrong with it. Buying premium parts from a premium company ain't wrong either. Maybe all the hate is from envy? Who knows.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Look at all the responses that result in money being a factor and you'll get your answer. Balling on a budget, ain't nothing wrong with it. Buying premium parts from a premium company ain't wrong either. Maybe all the hate is from envy? Who knows.
Yes I was reading everything that’s been posted immediately after.

I find it odd that folks will go with an apr stage 1 considering the features in the Cobb eqt and stratified tunes.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

I find it odd that folks will go with an apr stage 1 considering the features in the Cobb eqt and stratified tunes.
Just act like they're the best or he'll never shut up. Bow down at middling results and ancient tuning methods.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Quick thank you to everyone who has made a purchase thus far! You've once again proven I need to do a better job at forecasting demand. Maybe I'm too self-critical based on what I read on the forums vs actual purchases. At any rate, I've seen a few posts on social with people saying they like the product thus far and I'm excited to see reviews come in, and hopefully some more videos showing off how it sounds.

Thank you again everyone!

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

I think with APR's downpipe gone, going APR doesn't make sense at all anymore unless you want a set it and forget tune/have no plans to exceed stage 1.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I think with APR's downpipe gone, going APR doesn't make sense at all anymore unless you want a set it and forget tune/have no plans to exceed stage 1.
My thoughts exactly. But that Cobb traction control thing eqt and stratified are using is awesome and hard to ignore imo

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
First, I never said "so much better"

Second, you literally just told me why APR's IC and catback are better... So why didn't you buy them? Budget right?

Third, did I say APR's intake does anything more than a modified stock airbox? Although, I definitely trust APR and APTuning (I've been to their shop/talked to these guys/had them do work on my car) over that site you linked. That person is not an engineer and he is running garage tests on budget equipment that he's rigged up. That data must be very accurate.
I’d like to point out that the performance is the same aside from differences in the IC (also noting I don’t claim the eBay IC performs better overall).

I don’t value spending extra money on equal to similar performance. That is all. We can agree to disagree if you feel differently. It’s not an indicator of budget, it’s being smart with money and the intended goal of the car.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’d like to point out that the performance is the same aside from differences in the IC (also noting I don’t claim the eBay IC performs better overall).

I don’t value spending extra money on equal to similar performance. That is all. We can agree to disagree if you feel differently. It’s not an indicator of budget, it’s being smart with money and the intended goal of the car.
The money thing, I’m sure we can all agree on that

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Agree to disagree.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
It's simple. People with money to spend don't care about facts, because they buy into the marketing, hype and just plain want the recognition(Gucci Prada), much like the "hyperbeast" crowd. People with little money or who count every dollar will always be a tougher consumer and try to stretch their dollar as much as possible(Old Navy, Target, Walmart clothes). It's always a good move to have "fancy products" like CF and extra bling stuff, and a bare bones products that provide the benefit it is intended to do, at a cheap price to keep both markets happy.

With that said, I'm not sure how good this move was. Tons of products already do this or better at a cheaper price. Looks great though.

I feel like this is a broad generalization.

There are plenty of people on this site or who run this platform that are older / well-to-do / don't have a strict budget in mind / etc. I know that I could run full APR but I'm not going to. As far as I have planned it out so far I'm not going to run APR anything. That's not always penny pinching, sometimes that's personal preference. If you can achieve similar or better results for less, why wouldn't you? Brand whores and ego's aside.

I'm a tough consumer regardless. Marketing doesn't sell me unless it's honest. But that involves time and research. I also don't see value in something that is more expensive for arbitrary reasons. I don't need CF under my hood, even if someone does think it keeps intake temps cooler. Nor do I feel the need to upgrade my catch can just to run the latest and greatest intake. And I by no means am taking a shot at APR or @Arin@APR when I say that, I'm just simply pointing out that people with expendable income don't necessarily just spend it blindly. There's enough information on this forum that EVERY person could realistically run the same set up and achieve similar results and have what we broadly consider to be the "best" set up on the MQB platform. But what is the fun in that?

I've purchased a number of parts that some of you would not. But with my current goal for this car, I'll know I'll reach that goal and I'll get to do it my way. If I decide I want more later and need to change things out that's on me. The issue is the people that have goals for their cars and are stretching themselves to achieve those goals thinking they HAVE to run APR, or IE, or HPA, or whomever, when in reality they don't. The disingenuous marketing is hurting them and the company doesn't care, they see only see it as a sale.

TL;DR - This.