GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 spark plugs

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, that makes sense. 100k is insane, is that true?

Yes. Most naturally aspirated cars today that's the recommended interval.
Most people haven't had a car with a turbo but they are becoming common today because they are reducing the engine size and installing a turbo.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
They would check their manual more than likely, which would state 60,000 if it’s for an MK7 and 40,000 if it’s an MK7.5

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the linked maintenance guide from VWoA for a 2019 lists 80k for the GTI.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168645-0001.pdf

1603671295325.png

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
That's for a 1.4L engine.

No, it's not. It says "GTI" and "Jetta GLI," both of which have the 2.0 IS20.

It ALSO says 1.4L Sportwagon, and Atlas. Pretty sure Atlases don't come with 1.4L engines in any market, it wouldn't even be able to climb a hill.

Looks like the real OEM spec is 80K miles.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
If you change the plugs every 40k you also change them every 80k 5head

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, it's not. It says "GTI" and "Jetta GLI," both of which have the 2.0 IS20.

It ALSO says 1.4L Sportwagon, and Atlas. Pretty sure Atlases don't come with 1.4L engines in any market, it wouldn't even be able to climb a hill.

Looks like the real OEM spec is 80K miles.

One line says every 80,000 and the second line says 40,000. It doesn't list the GTI.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What do you mean? It clearly states GTI.

Right? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Do people not know how commas work in a list?

It's two, clearly indicated lists in boxes. The first box reads as "Spark plugs - All models except: Atlas, Golf SportWagen 1.4L, Golf 1.4L, GTI, Jetta 1.4L, Jetta GLI, Tiguan, replace at 40,000 miles." The second box reads as "Spark plugs - Only these models: Atlas, Golf SportWagen 1.4L, Golf 1.4L, GTI, Jetta 1.4L, Jetta GLI, Tiguan, replace at 80,000 miles"

Is your car one of those 7 listed? No, it isn't? Follow the first box, replace at 40k. Yes, it is? Follow the second box, replace at 80k.

Those intervals go out the window once you start tuning of course, but it seems pretty clear what the factory recommendation is for stock vehicles.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Right? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Do people not know how commas work in a list?

It's two, clearly indicated lists in boxes. The first box reads as "Spark plugs - All models except: Atlas, Golf SportWagen 1.4L, Golf 1.4L, GTI, Jetta 1.4L, Jetta GLI, Tiguan, replace at 40,000 miles." The second box reads as "Spark plugs - Only these models: Atlas, Golf SportWagen 1.4L, Golf 1.4L, GTI, Jetta 1.4L, Jetta GLI, Tiguan, replace at 80,000 miles"

Is your car one of those 7 listed? No, it isn't? Follow the first box, replace at 40k. Yes, it is? Follow the second box, replace at 80k.

Those intervals go out the window once you start tuning of course, but it seems pretty clear what the factory recommendation is for stock vehicles.

thank you. The GTI is actually on the 80K mile list, not the 40K. So is it 80K? Lol

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
thank you. The GTI is actually on the 80K mile list, not the 40K. So is it 80K? Lol

According to that maintenance schedule, it's 80,000 miles.

However, they have so many different versions/revisions of their maintenance schedules posted with various information, it's kind of hard to confirm which is the most accurate. What we find on various sites is likely outdated/incorrect. If you want the most up-to-date information, pay for a subscription to erWin :)

Personally, I would not wait 80,000 miles to change spark plugs, even on a stock car. They are not expensive and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edit: Actually, it appears erWin is displaying the 11/2019 revision even for 2021 cars... That would lead me to believe yes, 80,000 miles is the most accurate spark plug change interval recommendation provided by Volkswagen for our cars.

Revision 11.2019 is displayed for MY 2018, 2020, 2021
Revision 8.2019 is displayed for MY 2019

80,000 mile spark plug change interval listed on both revisions.

1603735089847.png

Last edited:

Agray

Go Kart Champion
According to that maintenance schedule, it's 80,000 miles.

However, they have so many different versions/revisions of their maintenance schedules posted with various information, it's kind of hard to confirm which is the most accurate. What we find on various sites is likely outdated/incorrect. If you want the most up-to-date information, pay for a subscription to erWin :)

Personally, I would not wait 80,000 miles to change spark plugs, even on a stock car. They are not expensive and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edit: Actually, it appears erWin is displaying the 11/2019 revision even for 2021 cars... That would lead me to believe yes, 80,000 miles is the most accurate spark plug change interval recommendation provided by Volkswagen for our cars.

Revision 11.2019 is displayed for MY 2018, 2020, 2021
Revision 8.2019 is displayed for MY 2019

80,000 mile spark plug change interval listed on both revisions.

View attachment 189895
80k miles is crazy IMO.. Unless I'm missing something, there's no significant change to the motor in the last 5 years that could justify this. Perhaps it's along the same lines of thinking as the oil weight change in an effort to lower the total cost of ownership?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wish someone with a 2019 would check their owners manual to see the interval for plugs.