GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A used motor is $5k at most. So, that's $15k in labor. $100/hr makes it 150 hours.

I imagine the dealer quoted the cost of a new engine, not a used one.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Dealer is at 175 per hour typically
Wow my dealer is $135 per hour.
My indie mech is $100/hr and based on the race cars he maintains in his shop for VIR, I would feel VERY comfortable with him swapping the engine out. No good reason for a dealer to do it unless under warranty.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
the problem isnt the rate ( even tho thats high) its the BOOK TIME lol

also my dealer is $135 and is pretty close to boston, I cant imagine a dealer justifying a $175 rate...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Pretty positive a new engine from VW doesn't cost anywhere near 20K. That's 2/3 the price of the car.
You can flat out BUILD a built engine for 5k

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Pretty positive a new engine from VW doesn't cost anywhere near 20K. That's 2/3 the price of the car.

No. But I wouldn't be shocked if a new engine from VW was $10k - $12k. The sum of the parts will always be greater than the whole car. Per VW, a new IS20 is $1300. Cylinder head is $1200. The entire camshaft assembly is $1500. Hell, the intake manifold itself is listed at $600. That's just about $5,000 for 4 big components alone, new from VW.

So yeah, $12,000 for a brand new engine from VW seems plausible. Unreasonable, and you'd have to be an idiot to pay that and go that route, but totally plausible.

cb1111

Either way is ridiculous.
I absolutely agree, but if you price all the parts individually, then you'll certainly break the $20k barrier. The OP should buy a used engine, swap parts over and go from there - $5k should do it.

Unfortunately, this highlights the hazards of modding and warranty.

Too bad the OP hasn't been back - we don't know if he wrote a list of points to raise with VWoA or if he even bothered to call them.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
For 20k, they're just going to swap it with another gti. Probably cheaper and easier