GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Good lord kids.

@dequardo stop wasting my time reporting posts that you disagree with. Nobody is getting banned because you reported the post. Use that fact how you wish.

This is a public forum, get thicker skin....

No rules being broken from what I see here. Carry on.
All this over engine oil. Wait till next week. I’m predicting a shell vs chevron battle.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
It makes sense that your dealer keeps Castrol in bulk. My 2020 owners manual states that "Volkswagen recommends Castrol engine oils". (pg 247) I would find it weird if the 1 quart jugs of VW 508 engine oil that you can buy from your local VoA dealer were Mobil 1 or something.

Yeah, VOAs of factory fill with short mileage look almost IDENTICAL to M1 ESP 0W-20 VOAs. The fact that the bottles are IDENTICAL to M1 ESP bottles, albeit black instead of silver-gray, is another indicator that the VW OEM 0W-20 is Exxon/Mobil sourced and not Castrol. Gold bottle Castrol LLIV FE 0W-20 is 508.00 so for those that are brand loyal, ya have a choice. M1 uses moly, Castrol uses titanium for anti-wear. Meh, toss-up.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yeah, VOAs of factory fill with short mileage look almost IDENTICAL to M1 ESP 0W-20 VOAs. The fact that the bottles are IDENTICAL to M1 ESP bottles, albeit black instead of silver-gray, is another indicator that the VW OEM 0W-20 is Exxon/Mobil sourced and not Castrol. Gold bottle Castrol LLIV FE 0W-20 is 508.00 so for those that are brand loyal, ya have a choice. M1 uses moly, Castrol uses titanium for anti-wear. Meh, toss-up.
Moly vs titanium? Any idea which additive pack would be superior?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I guess PMs aren’t private. In any case the dye is used to spot leaks under special lights. I have a tech’s number who can confirm that. Point being it could be used to spot non spec oil used in a warranty dispute. Operative word, could.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I guess PMs aren’t private. In any case the dye is used to spot leaks under special lights. I have a tech’s number who can confirm that. Point being it could be used to spot non spec oil used in a warranty dispute. Operative word, could.

I have tech friends too.

What you posted isn't a fact; what you posted is hearsay. This isn't a super secret oil formula only VW can use. The oil manufactures wouldn't keep this a secret.

And reading my posts defeats the purpose of blocking me. ;)

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The only thing that I'll give you credit for is showing up again after that shameful attempt to get @GTIfan99 banned.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The only thing that I'll give you credit for is showing up again after that shameful attempt to get @GTIfan99 banned.

I've certainly deserved to banned before, but that certainly wasn't going to do it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok, so I spent the last hour looking at all the 508 oil manufactures specs I could find. Not a single oil manufacture mentions anything about the dye being able to be used to find leaks, and all of them say it's green to "differentiate" it from other oils. I also PM'd 2 different VW techs that belong to our local club. They say they haven't heard of or been trained in using the green dye in 508 to find leaks. There is specific florescent dye that they can add, but to their knowledge, the 508 dye isn't florescent. And if it is, and you wanted to fool the dealer, you could go to autozone and add some dye to whatever oil you run.

Here's one of the many brands of dye. https://www.denlorstools.com/autobl...leak,be traced much easier back to the source.

But lets get back to basics. If your car calls for 508, you should run 508, unless you track the car. If you track the car, depending on the length of sessions, region you live, and how hard you drive, you should run a higher weight oil, because the types of heat you see in the mk7 on track will destroy 0w-20.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I will agree there. The thing is WHAT oil is withstanding 280* oil temps; most off the shelf (even specialty lubricants) begin to loose their "sheer" at/or around 260* - and there are areas in the engine near the exhaust ports that are at least 60-90* hotter than what the sensor is reading in the pan.
So, yes - if someone is going to be that aggressive, I would highly suggest getting their hands on an oil that has the ability to withstand "sheer" breakdown at that tempurature.
Heat is what breaks down the Additive & Modifiers of oil anyway and a solid 0w-20 can hold up pretty good, but beyond 260* shtuff breaks down pretty quick.
Amsoil. Lots of folks who run high heat applications run the stuff and it holds up pretty well, even at 300*. The thing is that thinner oils hold up better to high temp sheer, but also turn into water thickness and your oil pump isn't designed for that. Some people run dry sump systems and will go to thinner oils to increase power and gain a bit of high temp durability. It all really depends on application, but the oil I've had the most success with on a tuned gti on track was a 10w60. I was often seeing 295* temps and the 10w60 helped bring them down even before the oil cooler. The downside was how quickly I needed fresh oil... 2 weekends max.

At one point amsoil was not a VAG approved oil, but my buddy who resells the stuff recently pointed out it is now approved in various flavors! Good stuff!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Amsoil. Lots of folks who run high heat applications run the stuff and it holds up pretty well, even at 300*. The thing is that thinner oils hold up better to high temp sheer, but also turn into water thickness and your oil pump isn't designed for that. Some people run dry sump systems and will go to thinner oils to increase power and gain a bit of high temp durability. It all really depends on application, but the oil I've had the most success with on a tuned gti on track was a 10w60. I was often seeing 295* temps and the 10w60 helped bring them down even before the oil cooler. The downside was how quickly I needed fresh oil... 2 weekends max.

At one point amsoil was not a VAG approved oil, but my buddy who resells the stuff recently pointed out it is now approved in various flavors! Good stuff!

Yep, most of the WRC teams use it in their engines. That series requires they use the same engine all year long, and post season tear downs I've seen with Amsoil show literally zero wear after a season of rallying. It's super expensive for someone that tracks their own car and changes oil after every event though. If Amsoil has your factory fill spec, I'd absolutely use it for a street car or if I had more funds budgeted for tracking.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sigh. I reported a post.

Right you reported a post and tried to get him banned and for what? He simply disagreed with your opinion. So did I and some others. @GTIfan99 didn't call you names he simply disagreed and requested proof. So what do you do? Instead of providing proof for your opinion you run to daddy and try to get him banned.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese

Yes. I have read through oil testing and the Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 had a thermal breakdown onset of 295*. That I believe is what you very well may be referring to.
I am in complete support of Amsoil products, just not into the pricing, and not nearly as aggressive in prolonged engine operation as you are :)
10w-60 is pretty dang heavy and the lower flow property of it will hold heat much longer. You are definitely in the extreme realm of operation bud and not knocking you for it whatsoever.
The more important piece is being mindful of the extremes the engine is being operated at, the duration, and refreshing the fluid. During higher ambient temps, the oil temp will drastically increase anyway.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Right you reported a post and tried to get him banned and for what? He simply disagreed with your opinion. So did I and some others. @GTIfan99 didn't call you names he simply disagreed and requested proof. So what do you do? Instead of providing proof for your opinion you run to daddy and try to get him banned.
Please read. Reporting a post and getting someone banned are two separate things.