GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Rack Questions

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I am fairly certain that my steering rack is failing. It makes a popping noise not unlike other cars that have had the racks replaced.

First, here’s a video of the noise I have:

Hoping that someone can either confirm that I have an issue with the steering rack, or give me an idea what else it could be that won’t cost $1300 plus labor to fix. I’ve checked every other suspension component and can’t hear a noise or feel any play anywhere. I did recently have coil overs and new control arms/bushings installed, but there isn’t any noise coming from the struts or the control arms. The clutch was also replaced, so the subframe came out. But, again, I don’t notice any noise coming from there.

Second, is this something that I can live with for a minute or is a failure of the power steering imminent. I don’t love the idea of having to drive the car like this at all, but, again, it’s a pretty expensive fix so I’m hoping I can live with it for a minute until I can budget the replacement.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It’s the rack, which is a common failure on 2019 models.

I personally know of two replaced under warranty this year (sounded just like yours).

Outside of warranty there’s no way I’d pay $1300. Buy a used one, new subframe hardware (it’s one time use), swap it out and get an alignment.

It’s a 2-3 hour job at the absolute worst, so even a competent Indy shop would come out light years ahead if you’re not comfortable DIY.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have a connection to a VW tech that can probably do the swap for me. I’d do it myself if I had the capability to do the alignment at home. But, since I’d have to pay someone to do the alignment, I might as well just let them do the whole job if it’s only a 2-3 hour thing.

Guess I’ll start hunting for used racks. Hoping someone can get one to me sooner rather than later. So, if anybody reading this has a lead on one, I’ll pay extra to have the thing overnighted.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Another question: Anybody know what kind of OBD11/VCDS stuff I’d have to do to complete the install?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Another question: Anybody know what kind of OBD11/VCDS stuff I’d have to do to complete the install?

I dont know but since you're going to use a VW tech he can take care of it if needed.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I dont know but since you're going to use a VW tech he can take care of it if needed.

Actually a former VW tech. Recently went to a different brand, so while he has all the knowledge, he doesn’t have the computer.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I have a connection to a VW tech that can probably do the swap for me. I’d do it myself if I had the capability to do the alignment at home. But, since I’d have to pay someone to do the alignment, I might as well just let them do the whole job if it’s only a 2-3 hour thing.

Guess I’ll start hunting for used racks. Hoping someone can get one to me sooner rather than later. So, if anybody reading this has a lead on one, I’ll pay extra to have the thing overnighted.

Car-part.com is your friend.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's been two months, but I finally fixed this and figured I'd update this in case someone else searched for the same problem. Turns out it was the tie rods. Theory is that the ball/socket end of the tie rod wore in the same spot for 90k miles and then, when the car was lowered, it changed the angle and the ball would pop in and out of where it had been wearing previously.

jrg

Thanks for posting this update. Can you share some of the other symptoms you had apart from noise? I have a similar noise when turning the wheel lock to lock when the car is stationary, and also a clunk during low speed maneuvers eg backing down and out of the driveway driveway.

Also does your car have DCC or did you notice that your steering felt lighter? Mine feels the same in Sport and Normal settings. Which leads me to believe the rack could be my issue.

Thanks!

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Other than the noise, I didn't have any other symptoms. I had the noise, and then a clunk/pop when the wheel was turned going either forwards or backwards. I don't remember hearing it if I didn't have the wheel turned. Further, the steering still felt fine other than the noise.

I don't have DCC, but the steering rack still "tightens up" if you put it in sport--I don't think that is unique to DCC cars. Either way, it still worked as expected.

The rack failing is apparently not unheard of (I don't think I'd say it's "common") so that very well could be your issue. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I did have a former VW tech look at the car and he said he was pretty positive it wasn't the rack when he looked at it. Apparently the symptoms for the rack failure are unique enough that he could diagnose it that far. If you can get it somewhere with an alignment rack so you can get under the car while it is loaded and turn the wheels, I think that'd be the best way to be sure before you dropped the cash on the rack.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting find, my car's been making a similar sound for about a month now, but only while maneuvering at low speed. Was this similar for you, or did you still get the creaking even at speed?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I couldn't hear it at speed. Now that I think back, I actually did get it going over rough pavement/bumps at slow speed, even when the wheels were straight. But, absolutely nothing over ~20mph.

jrg

Other than the noise, I didn't have any other symptoms. I had the noise, and then a clunk/pop when the wheel was turned going either forwards or backwards. I don't remember hearing it if I didn't have the wheel turned. Further, the steering still felt fine other than the noise.

I don't have DCC, but the steering rack still "tightens up" if you put it in sport--I don't think that is unique to DCC cars. Either way, it still worked as expected.

The rack failing is apparently not unheard of (I don't think I'd say it's "common") so that very well could be your issue. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I did have a former VW tech look at the car and he said he was pretty positive it wasn't the rack when he looked at it. Apparently the symptoms for the rack failure are unique enough that he could diagnose it that far. If you can get it somewhere with an alignment rack so you can get under the car while it is loaded and turn the wheels, I think that'd be the best way to be sure before you dropped the cash on the rack.
Thanks for this input, I definitely need to get under the car and give the front end components a good assessment. The light steering in all modes is throwing me off is trowing me off.