GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles out of our dcc shocks?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I'm currently waiting on my B6 front struts to come over from Germany (the rear shocks were in stock). They come with a lifetime warranty.
From Bilstein Germany or a German based distributor?

If from the latter, this is directly from Bilstein US when I inquired about buying from Europe:

Components purchased from or in Germany/Europe would be backed by the European warranty which I believe is 2 year limited warranty against manufacturer defect. The components would have to be returned to Europe to honor this warranty. Parts can be serviced in the US with a service cost attached. We always recommend keeping the OE parts after installing a performance suspension as they will need to be serviced at some point of your ownership, this makes the car mobile while this process takes place.

Kits purchased from the US carry a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturer defect. Wear and tear is not covered nor are dampers being used for race / competition purposes.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
From Bilstein Germany or a German based distributor?

If from the latter, this is directly from Bilstein US when I inquired about buying from Europe:

Components purchased from or in Germany/Europe would be backed by the European warranty which I believe is 2 year limited warranty against manufacturer defect. The components would have to be returned to Europe to honor this warranty. Parts can be serviced in the US with a service cost attached. We always recommend keeping the OE parts after installing a performance suspension as they will need to be serviced at some point of your ownership, this makes the car mobile while this process takes place.

Kits purchased from the US carry a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturer defect. Wear and tear is not covered nor are dampers being used for race / competition purposes.
I'm getting them via DAP, which I'm sure is getting then from Bilstein US--other US retailers like Summit say that they are on backorder as well. But your idea about keeping the old struts/shocks is a good one--thanks.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Please share your thoughts after you get these installed and put a few miles on them. What's the ETA on the fronts? Hoping to put these on within the next few months.
I'll be glad to give an update after I have a chance to try them out. But I'm also upgrading the front control arms to the Black Forrest versions with the solid rubber bushings ( https://blackforestindustries.com/p...ms-rs3-solid-rubber-bushings-with-ball-joints ) and an 034 rear anti-sway bar that's 37% stiffer than stock. Before I made the commitment and ordered the B6 Damptronics, I chatted with a few folks from Vortex who had made the change: almost universally, everyone said that the firmness moved up one notch (i.e. B6 Comfort setting was similar to stock Normal, B6 Normal similar to Sport/Race, etc.) which was exactly what I was looking for as I rarely drive with the suspension set to Comfort, but have often wished that there was a setting a bit firmer than the current Sport/Race when really pushing things. I was also told that, regardless of setting, overall they feel more controlled than the stock Monroe-sourced shocks. Users of the Black Forrest front control arms/bushings said that ride quality was hardly affected but there was a gain in road feel--something else I had always wished for in my R. FWIW, BFI was trying to emulate the bushings on the RS3, which is fine by me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my intentions to keep the great "daily driver" aspects of the R intact while upping its near the limit handling. Again, stay tuned. The last vague ETA on the front struts (the rears are sitting in my living room) was sometime towards the end of November, but Covid has messed up a lot of European parts manufacturing I've been told.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm going with B4 Damptronics, ironically because of the exact reason you mentioned (B6 Comfort setting was similar to stock Normal, B6 Normal similar to Sport/Race, etc.), haha. Mine are going on a torsion beam rear (with Neuspeed rear sway) with Whiteline LCA's (and Neuspeed sway) up front.

B4 damptronics are readily available and I'm looking forward to getting back the comfort (and then some) that I lost with B8's/H&R sports. Really curious to hear more about how B6 damptronics compare to oem DCC. My leaning is towards comfort but I was torn between B4 and B6 damptronics.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm going with B4 Damptronics, ironically because of the exact reason you mentioned (B6 Comfort setting was similar to stock Normal, B6 Normal similar to Sport/Race, etc.), haha. Mine are going on a torsion beam rear (with Neuspeed rear sway) with Whiteline LCA's (and Neuspeed sway) up front.

B4 damptronics are readily available and I'm looking forward to getting back the comfort (and then some) that I lost with B8's/H&R sports. Really curious to hear more about how B6 damptronics compare to oem DCC. My leaning is towards comfort but I was torn between B4 and B6 damptronics.
Damptronics is what’s compatible with dcc correct? What would be the difference between b6 b this and b that then? Also, do all of bilstein’s options feel the same in comfort. And all of them feel the same in sport? I assume the settings are a hair stiffer vs the stock shocks? Like comfort on the bilstein is a hair stiffer than the stock dcc?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Damptronics is what’s compatible with dcc correct? What would be the difference between b6 b this and b that then? Also, do all of bilstein’s options feel the same in comfort. And all of them feel the same in sport? I assume the settings are a hair stiffer vs the stock shocks? Like comfort on the bilstein is a hair stiffer than the stock dcc?
Bilstein makes a "basic" non-adjustable B6 which is firmer than what you'd get in a non-DCC GTI. The B6 Damptronic is a slightly stiffer replacement for the electronically adjustable valved stock struts/shocks which come on DCC Golfs; it's essentially plug-n-play. B4 Damptronics are valved for the ride/handling similar to the stock DCC shock/strut, whereas the B6's valving is more on the "sporty"side. I hope that helps.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Bilstein makes a "basic" non-adjustable B6 which is firmer than what you'd get in a non-DCC GTI. The B6 Damptronic is a slightly stiffer replacement for the electronically adjustable valved stock struts/shocks which come on DCC Golfs; it's essentially plug-n-play. B4 Damptronics are valved for the ride/handling similar to the stock DCC shock/strut, whereas the B6's valving is more on the "sporty"side. I hope that helps.
Thanks for the info!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Where you at? How do you know I am in Texas? Any how, I always thought that the flat bottom on the steering wheel was to make room for drivers lik me.
I think the purpose of flat bottom steering wheels is for the extra leg room. And so a driver would know if the wheel was straight.

I’m just guessing though.

Madrv1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I think the purpose of flat bottom steering wheels is for the extra leg room. And so a driver would know if the wheel was straight.

I’m just guessing though.
All I know is that I feel thinner on my Golf R than on my CRV