GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Here.. looks like it does the job well.. 42797ED3-5367-46D9-A196-4CB3B978F6F9.jpeg1C9738D3-8479-4B9C-9DFB-4EDEC1D9F51C.jpeg

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I wish I could install mine, I hamfisted the nutserts when I was putting them on with a youtube trick and now have two of the nutserts with broke bolts in them....when I get some more gumption I'll try to easy out them and just use a basic nut and bolt to attach them. Grrrrrr.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I wish I could install mine, I hamfisted the nutserts when I was putting them on with a youtube trick and now have two of the nutserts with broke bolts in them....when I get some more gumption I'll try to easy out them and just use a basic nut and bolt to attach them. Grrrrrr.

drill them out only way & quicker....& then get more of the plastic rivet fixings used on the top...they also work on the bottom & a forum member has done 140mph will no problems.....I used the rivet nuts as per VW as I fitted the bigger stone guards a few years back...mind you I have a big rivet tool with 18inch long handles..& rivet nuts are easy!

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
I installed mine this evening, pretty straight forward once I mastered the technique of installing the rivnuts without the official tool. Old VAG bolt, generic M6 nut and washer, and spring washer. 💪

Now to carry on with the rear axle cover, front aero tray and subframe cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20201118_211903.jpg
    IMG_20201118_211903.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 637

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Part finally arrived from e-acca. Installed it with pushpins only and went up to 140km/h.

Notes:
  • Car feels more stable in the rear especially during higher speeds. Compared to without it, basically you can tell that there is no longer any lift going on because the air is moving faster and there is less turbulence under the car.
  • The car is also more quiet in the rear now.
  • In the turns, the rear end seems less willing to be chucked into a corner. You need to accelerate in the corners more now to get the car to rotate. As a result, for R and GTI owners, I would highly recommend you to get a rear sway bar or a sporty alignment if you put this mod in. Right now the it feels like the car is less willing to rotate.
  • The car coasts more in lower speed scenarios.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Part finally arrived from e-acca. Installed it with pushpins only and went up to 140km/h.

Notes:
  • Car feels more stable in the rear especially during higher speeds. Compared to without it, basically you can tell that there is no longer any lift going on because the air is moving faster and there is less turbulence under the car.
  • The car is also more quiet in the rear now.
  • In the turns, the rear end seems less willing to be chucked into a corner. You need to accelerate in the corners more now to get the car to rotate. As a result, for R and GTI owners, I would highly recommend you to get a rear sway bar or a sporty alignment if you put this mod in. Right now the it feels like the car is less willing to rotate.
  • The car coasts more in lower speed scenarios.

I like it when other people also note the same results as me....I don't feel as stupid...."did I image that or not?"...:unsure::D

With me having the estate which is 50-80kg heavier at the rear the "chuckabilitiy" of the car I haven't noticed a reduction in...but all the other stuff..yes & yes!!

Mind you I suppose in my case in the turns, it just feels more stable, as it felt just a wee bit too loose before (most was corrected by the big Passat rear axle/subframe cover).mind you my car has a factory stiff front ARB & a factory soft rear ARB..so it rear steers...

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
I like it when other people also note the same results as me....I don't feel as stupid...."did I image that or not?"...:unsure::D

With me having the estate which is 50-80kg heavier at the rear the "chuckabilitiy" of the car I haven't noticed a reduction in...but all the other stuff..yes & yes!!

Mind you I suppose in my case in the turns, it just feels more stable, as it felt just a wee bit too loose before (most was corrected by the big Passat rear axle/subframe cover).mind you my car has a factory stiff front ARB & a factory soft rear ARB..so it rear steers...
On Ontario's version of "B roads", the car feels a lot more planted on high speeds. I don't have any hesitation in doing high speeds in the car over less than perfect roads anymore.
The understeer however has definitely gotten worse, especially on snow tires and in the rain. The car just doesn't want to turn as much and the front tires get overloaded.
I am interested how my summer tires will handle it - I will have to change them late next year and I am thinking of moving up to 245/35/19. Hopefully that might help the fronts get more grip and wash out less.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
On Ontario's version of "B roads", the car feels a lot more planted on high speeds. I don't have any hesitation in doing high speeds in the car over less than perfect roads anymore.
The understeer however has definitely gotten worse, especially on snow tires and in the rain. The car just doesn't want to turn as much and the front tires get overloaded.
I am interested how my summer tires will handle it - I will have to change them late next year and I am thinking of moving up to 245/35/19. Hopefully that might help the fronts get more grip and wash out less.

Interesting..my estate is running (as per factory spec) quite a bit of noticeable rear toe in....in my case I recon the extra rear weight, the softer rear ARB & rear toe in allow the inside wheel to stay in contact with the road which slightly pushes the rear outwards, forcing more load onto the outside wheel which is already steering into the turn..so the car gets quite neutral..infact I can get it to oversteer!..

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Interesting..my estate is running (as per factory spec) quite a bit of noticeable rear toe in....in my case I recon the extra rear weight, the softer rear ARB & rear toe in allow the inside wheel to stay in contact with the road which slightly pushes the rear outwards, forcing more load onto the outside wheel which is already steering into the turn..so the car gets quite neutral..infact I can get it to oversteer!..
Ok so our entire region is under lockdown and the highways were deserted late last night in, uhhhh, Mexico. There was a decent crosswind.

Got up to 180kmh - this car is freaking planted with these lower control arm covers and a maxton spoiler extension.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Hi, another interesting piece of tune. I’m considering to fit them as any change to improve stability e.g. when overtaking truck in highway speed would worth a try. May I just ask whether it can be fitted in combination with Passat bluemotion cover that I already have? Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, another interesting piece of tune. I’m considering to fit them as any change to improve stability e.g. when overtaking truck in highway speed would worth a try. May I just ask whether it can be fitted in combination with Passat bluemotion cover that I already have? Thanks

Should fit all ok..I have the estate with all the covers, the Passat rear axle & those rear lower arm aero covers...nice & stable at high speed & in cross winds etc...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Cool. Many thanks!

My issues are more connected to servo behaviour like chewing gum in windy conditions rather than actual instability.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
That came straight outta of my head :cool: I was basically complaining that servo/power steering do not provide enough support/feel in certain conditions.

However, I installed the rear arms cover from Mk8/Tiguan 2 and I can confirm it fits directly on Mk7.5 axle (unlike those on the front arms). Already installed cover for the frame from Passat Bluemotion makes no issues.…will share remarks.

Btw, I saw comparable parts on some modern BMW 5.