GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Guide and Review: AKD AliExpress MK7.5 LED Tail Lights for NAR MK7 Golf

parallax

Ready to race!
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lasttyp 23 to "LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung"
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion A 23 to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt"

Finally got around to running a trigger wire from Pin 5 of my Euro switch to pin A29 on the BCM. Coded Leuchte23 per your instructions and the rear fog now works, but the turn signal also comes on. Any ideas on how to disable it?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Your coding for Leuchte27 and Leuchte28 shouldn’t contain „Nebelschlusslicht...“ in any line. If so replace w/ not active.

MKS7N

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I just got my tails in from AKD. Only thing is the wire color for pin 4 is not purple and black. It’s two black wires. Then there is already a wire in pin 3. Do I just remove that wire and do the two black wires that are in pin 4??

parallax

Ready to race!
I just got my tails in from AKD. Only thing is the wire color for pin 4 is not purple and black. It’s two black wires. Then there is already a wire in pin 3. Do I just remove that wire and do the two black wires that are in pin 4??

Yes, I ran into the same issue. I would use the link to ZERO815's coding instructions from OP's first post instead. He provides an explanation of which wires to re-pin, in addition to coding.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
@ZERO815

Is there any way to code the parking lights on all the time? Unless all the lights are on the parking lights don't turn on
Correct me if I understood your request wrong but you want the rear parking lights to be on w/ the front DRL?

Assuming you have wired and coded your NA MK7 as published in here https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...7-to-7-5-tail-light-issue.364851/post-7470170 please change the following coding:
Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion F 20 to "Tagfahrlicht"
Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion F 21 to "Tagfahrlicht"
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion B 23 to "Tagfahrlicht"
Leuchte24SL HRA65-Lichtfunktion B 24 to "Tagfahrlicht"

Baliztik

Car(s)
MK7 R
Correct me if I understood your request wrong but you want the rear parking lights to be on w/ the front DRL?

Yes exactly! I'll give it a try! Thank you. Now I hadn't to find a way to fix the clips I broke 😭. For anyone doing it. Do not watch shop daps video. Just buy the $10 nylon fishing line.

I didn't need the repinning tools however. 2 sim card ejectors were easy enough.

Baliztik

Car(s)
MK7 R
That is brilliant- I hadn’t thought about SIM card ejectors!

Yeah I can't take credit I saw it on this post, or another. After I broke my clips I jb welded them back together. Last remaining task is the second reverse light

Thank you for the great write up.

Thanks @ZERO815 for all the knowledge and being so quick to reply. I believe those instructions worked like a charm!

Last edited:

Rowdy_mk7

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Hey guys, after doing some research, I have manage to successfully install the AKD AliExpress tail lights. This writeup is specifically for the MK7 (halogen) cars that are installing the MK7.5 LED tails (link below). These tail lights are actually really good quality and value for the money in my opinion. The lights are nice, crisp, and bright. Installation took me about an hour. They came packaged very nicely and in my opinion the harness included is much easier to install than the BEC or OEM ones since it is only one wire to work with. Here is my guide below with a wiring diagram included - I hope it helps:
Tools Required:
  • 2x Sewing needles (for repinning) EDIT: It is much easier if you shell out a few bones for an actual repinning tool - you can get them from Amazon for like $10.
  • 1x Weed trimmer line (for fishing the harness through)
  • 1x 8mm socket (for the inner tail lights)
  • 1x VCDS or OBD11
  • 1x Brain

STEPS:
  • Step 1) Run the yellow wires included in the box through the trunk and the hatch. Driver outer to Driver inner, Passenger outer to passenger inner. Lots of instructions online - it is actually really easy to do if you do some thinking. For these tail lights, you do not actually need to remove the big cover off the hatch because the harness is small enough to feed through easily!
  • Step 2) On the driver side inner connector, disconnect the purple and black wire from pin 4. You can do this by unclipping the lock at the top of the conector, and then putting 2 sewing needles into the holes on the top and bottom of the connector to unlock the wire. Pull the wire out gently. This will take a few tries.
  • Step 3) Take that wire and put it into hole #3. It will click in. Then press the locking tab back down on the connector. This will disable your driver side reverse light and turn it into the amber signal for the driver side instead.
  • Step 4) On the driver outer tail light, remove the wire going into pin 4 and tape the end of it. You will no longer need it.
  • Step 5) Code your tail lights so that:
    • a) Leuchte27 is your right turn signal;
    • b) Leuchte20 and 21 are no longer your turn signals;
    • c) Leuchte28 is your new left turn signal;
    • d) Leuchte 27 and 28 lasttyp are #35 (blinking LEDs); and,
    • e) Leuchte 20 and 21 are lasttyp #34 (braking LEDs).
  • Step 6 (Optional) ) Run a wire from the right side inner reverse lamp to the left side inner reverse lamp to bridge them. This will turn both of your reverse lamps back on. Use this wire for best results: VW part no. 000979025E
And now you are all done! Stand back and enjoy your work!

Link to the taillights: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32502102227.html
Link to exact coding instructions: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...7-to-7-5-tail-light-issue.364851/post-7470170

Credit to @ZERO815 and @openlog
View attachment 185899

EDIT:
Okay so I've been doing this install a number of times now for other people and here are some additional notes/tips:
1) I would highly recommend buying repinning "keys"/tool from Amazon instead of the sewing needles. The wires will come out on the first try this way and save you time and a lot of swearing.
2) When wiring the driver side reverse light, you will need the repair wire as mentioned in my original post. However, most of the sellers do not sell a wire that is long enough to go from one end to another. You'll need around 150cm of wire to do so. If you cannot find a wire that long, you can instead splice the reverse signal wire that goes to the camera near the rear camera. That way you can use a slightly shorter wire that you can find easily.
3) I would highly recommend buying a panel removal tool with a clip removal tool as well. It makes quick work of removing the tail lights and panels, not to mention the clip removal tool is a lifesaver when those asshole A clips get stuck in the car and you don't want to damage them.
4) Try to massage the wires through the rubber boots that go from the car to the trunk hatch instead of removing them.
My purple wire is on the passenger side outter lamp 🥺