GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Knobs

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Sport Shifter folks, does your knob wobble? I get a a little bit of wobble just between the lock ring and the top of the knob. Going to experiment with some Tesa tape on the shaft to see if I can banish that. Just working on the Superpin and zip tie mod and realized that there's some slop just in the knob too, figured I'd try to eliminate as much as possible all at once.

I do have mine raised up about 3/4 of an inch from the bottom, I did plan on lowering it once I put the center console back in, so maybe I'll just bottom it out and see if that fixes it for now, I don't mind it being lower.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
Sport Shifter folks, does your knob wobble? I get a a little bit of wobble just between the lock ring and the top of the knob. Going to experiment with some Tesa tape on the shaft to see if I can banish that. Just working on the Superpin and zip tie mod and realized that there's some slop just in the knob too, figured I'd try to eliminate as much as possible all at once.

I do have mine raised up about 3/4 of an inch from the bottom, I did plan on lowering it once I put the center console back in, so maybe I'll just bottom it out and see if that fixes it for now, I don't mind it being lower.
On my GT1 I haven't noticed any wobble with the actual knob itself, although I do have it sitting pretty low. I did order this https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-shaft-bushings-for-mk4-golf-jetta-new-beetle to try and reduce play but I haven't installed it yet.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
On my GT1 I haven't noticed any wobble with the actual knob itself, although I do have it sitting pretty low. I did order this https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-shaft-bushings-for-mk4-golf-jetta-new-beetle to try and reduce play but I haven't installed it yet.
Yeah, mine's a GT1 too. I can hold the shaft and still feel the wobble in the top of the knob. The lock ring is nice and tight, it's just from that area up, like the inner diameter of the top of the knob that threads on is large enough to let it have some play. I'll try the Tesa tape and see how that goes, I think that will do what I need.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
Yeah, mine's a GT1 too. I can hold the shaft and still feel the wobble in the top of the knob. The lock ring is nice and tight, it's just from that area up, like the inner diameter of the top of the knob that threads on is large enough to let it have some play. I'll try the Tesa tape and see how that goes, I think that will do what I need.
Ah ok, that's weird. I haven't noticed that with mine. I'll have to check after work if mine does the same thing but it feels solid to me.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Ah ok, that's weird. I haven't noticed that with mine. I'll have to check after work if mine does the same thing but it feels solid to me.
It was a combination of things. When I unthreaded the top, it tapers down at the very highest point, so I think if the knob were all the way down, that would secure it into that tighter area. Doesn't help that the shaft is crimped at the top too. But the lock collar inner diameter is wider than the shaft too, so it probably would have been best to remove it and use cloth tape to fill that gap, but for now, I just ran some around the top of the shaft that the knob threaded down onto and that tightened the play up. I may go back and try to do it the right way and shim the collar, but for now, it's gud 'n' tight. I just got lazy and didn't want to go find my loc-tite.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT

I don't get wobble but I find the set screws loosen easily. I even used loctite and had them loosen twice. It's been a few months now so I guess I got it set pretty well.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I loctited mine and they're still set fine, but the whole base just has some play in it. Didn't really notice it when I initially installed it, but now that I'm chasing the last bits of play, it stood out.

CaSeCa

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
20201027_150049.jpg

I have a DFG Tuning shift knob.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed

I had this problem after a few weeks of my install I had to go back and retighten everything.

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Does anybody know of a custom shift knob shop/ person who can do it? I've always wanted a "Death Star" from star wars shift knob, but weighted... didn't know if this was just a dream... lol

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Does anybody know of a custom shift knob shop/ person who can do it? I've always wanted a "Death Star" from star wars shift knob, but weighted... didn't know if this was just a dream... lol
Shift solutions is working on one, you will have to get an adapter for the treaded rod.
http://instagr.am/p/CIt202vg5r6/

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Changing it up again...Another slammer, but beaded and with no shift gate this time. Also don't think I've taken a picture of the collar since I got it, so there's that too. The knobs finish looks a lot better in person. It's not too far off from the start/stop button and the trim pieces.

1609800986574.png