GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The Chinese want in on the skid plate action:

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001593986956.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.10512e0e6ZDHGH

Don't shoot the messenger

Seen that & similar on the Russia Forums...typical Chinese tat..."plastic steel"...like WTF???:unsure:

"steel" right.... :ROFLMAO:
$150 for Chinesium pot metal and a web page that looks like a scam artist's wet dream. No thanks

Best description of those typical Chinese websites!!!....:ROFLMAO:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Umm...
1609467376594.png

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunate that the front control Arm panels don’t go right up. I want to be as slick as possible

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Installed the Golf 8 Aero covers on my Leon (should also be a direct fit on the Golf/GTI).

5WA407118 and 5WA407117 (attached to the arms with 4x 8e0825267 rivets (n0385494 would also work).)

the 3Q0407118 and 117 DON'T fit, they have a different shape and hole placement.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Installed the Golf 8 Aero covers on my Leon (should also be a direct fit on the Golf/GTI).

5WA407118 and 5WA407117

the 3Q0407118 and 117 DON'T fit, they have a different shape and hole placement.

Parts numbers for those push fit rivets??.......looks like the ones for the MK8 lower rear arm aero covers

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
So I tried on Golf Mk7 facelifted MY2018 wagon 1.4 110kW and unfortunately it doesn't fit. The shape of plastic cover and the control arms fits perfectly but holes do not align in fact only the one closer the chassis mount do not. Also, there is no bolt on the arm pointing down as Chillout has on his Seat. I guess if you look under the car and see the bolt than you can proceed with this upgrade.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So I tried on Golf Mk7 facelifted MY2018 wagon 1.4 110kW and unfortunately it doesn't fit. The shape of plastic cover and the control arms fits perfectly but holes do not align in fact only the one closer the chassis mount do not. Also, there is no bolt on the arm pointing down as Chillout has on his Seat. I guess if you look under the car and see the bolt than you can proceed with this upgrade.

The bolt in the arm pointing down is for the DCC suspension...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Ok, thanks for clarification. Anyway, my message is that it doesn't fit.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Hey Dave,
Looking through ETKA right now and noted these part numbers. Do you reckon they'd fit for a MK7 R?
5H0 825 268
5WA 825 101 E (there is a Macan part number for this that looks like its the same part: 95B-825-101-E-1E0 and Audi Q3 AWD part number 5QF 825 101 A )
5WA 201 429 A and B

Last edited:

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
With a little bit of sawing, mainly the hole closer to the chassis mount (both the plastic cover and a tiny cut to lower part of the rivet) and a lot of hammering, I managed to install those Mk8 covers also on my Mk7.5 front control arms. Perhaps not 110% firm but survived a ride with sizable spray of salt, gravel, ice/snow and speed up to 180kmh plus a high pressure clean afterwards.

Not going to advice these shity modifications of genuine parts to others but I feel a little bit of improvement in the front axle stability (I blame wicked servo for some strange behaviour so this improved it a bit). Also it looks like that a completely new sound appeared in 160kmh+ but it is very silent and not anoying at all. However, it may be related to increasing tyre wear.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

With a little bit of sawing, mainly the hole closer to the chassis mount (both the plastic cover and a tiny cut to lower part of the rivet) and a lot of hammering, I managed to install those Mk8 covers also on my Mk7.5 front control arms. Perhaps not 110% firm but survived a ride with sizable spray of salt, gravel, ice/snow and speed up to 180kmh plus a high pressure clean afterwards.

Not going to advice these shity modifications of genuine parts to others but I feel a little bit of improvement in the front axle stability (I blame wicked servo for some strange behaviour so this improved it a bit). Also it looks like that a completely new sound appeared in 160kmh+ but it is very silent and not anoying at all. However, it may be related to increasing tyre wear.

I remembered (from the front air guide thread I started) that VAG altered the front lower arm on the top MK7 Golfs from the introduction of the CS/CCS...the metal arm was slightly different, & they used that new arm on the MK7.5 GTI/GTD/R also...