Comfortable coilovers?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
They won't be any more or less comfortable for shocks in this price range.
I think I’m missing your point. Are you saying I should get shocks cause they’ll just be as comfortable? I value the adjustability coilovers offer and don’t mind sacrificing a bit more comfort than a spring + shock combo.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think I’m missing your point. Are you saying I should get shocks cause they’ll just be as comfortable? I value the adjustability coilovers offer and don’t mind sacrificing a bit more comfort than a spring + shock combo.
So minimum, you’re looking for coilovers that have adjustable dampening. I’m going with EQT for that reason

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Okay, shocks, coils overs, struts, all have a "shock". What you are all talking about is the mounting method.
So minimum, you’re looking for coilovers that have adjustable dampening. I’m going with EQT for that reason
Sort of true, but the ability to blow off harsh bump forces is key, though not found in shocks of this price range.

If the OP has to purchase something, and won't save up for a better shock (you are buying the shock+hardware) then at least find a shock with digressive forces on both rebound and bump, if possible.\

EDIT: Okay, EQT states these are digressive, but I'd ask for the dyno plot to see how digressive. I also like the rear adjustment at the bottom of the shock because the shock is inverted.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
@xXDavidCXx, I don’t mean to sound brash, but I think you tend to overcomplicate these things for the average enthusiast that doesn’t want to go through the effort of calculating the exact spring rate and other suspension inputs needed to achieve the perfect setup. OP is asking a pretty simple question that can be answered with relative knowledge. I think to suggest that “many have never experienced actual comfortable shocks/springs” is ridiculous. OP clearly believes the stock suspension on these cars is comfortable and is looking for something close to that. Those of us who have gone from stock to coilover or shock/spring setups and can offer our comparisons are providing the input OP is asking for. Your posts suggest he needs to spend $2000 plus and find perfectly matched springs/shocks to achieve what he is looking for. Again, I respect the contributions to suspension setup you’ve made on this forum, but I think you’re very much overcomplicating OP’s situation.

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@Will_ @xXDavidCXx Thank you both for your input, I really do appreciate it. You both seem incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to suspension setups. I do think Will understands where I’m coming from a bit better. This car isn’t a race car nor does it need to be the most comfortable car ever. I was just hoping for any input on the coilovers in my price range :)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
@Will_ @xXDavidCXx Thank you both for your input, I really do appreciate it. You both seem incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to suspension setups. I do think Will understands where I’m coming from a bit better. This car isn’t a race car nor does it need to be the most comfortable car ever. I was just hoping for any input on the coilovers in my price range :)
OP
Your price range coilovers with adjustable dampening fits EQT... check them out

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
@xXDavidCXx, I don’t mean to sound brash, but I think you tend to overcomplicate these things for the average enthusiast that doesn’t want to go through the effort of calculating the exact spring rate and other suspension inputs needed to achieve the perfect setup. OP is asking a pretty simple question that can be answered with relative knowledge. I think to suggest that “many have never experienced actual comfortable shocks/springs” is ridiculous. OP clearly believes the stock suspension on these cars is comfortable and is looking for something close to that. Those of us who have gone from stock to coilover or shock/spring setups and can offer our comparisons are providing the input OP is asking for. Your posts suggest he needs to spend $2000 plus and find perfectly matched springs/shocks to achieve what he is looking for. Again, I respect the contributions to suspension setup you’ve made on this forum, but I think you’re very much overcomplicating OP’s situation.
My "over complication" is just my way of trying to help educate.

I dislike the way many forum members just regurgitate what they hear others say, without any idea what is actually going on in their suspension.

So I try to help, most people don't listen, because they don't actually know what they want or because maybe they are looking for approval (chasssis bracing for example).

As far as calculating what rates are needed, this is something I would do for any forum member, if they asked.

I also stick to my assertion about experiencing a comfortable setup. I've experienced OEM, OEM replacement & high-ish end on the GTI, many cannot make these same comparison which narrows their ability to make informed decisions.

I actually think the stock ride is awful. To bouncy, especially in the rear. Which is one of the benefits of my research is that my ideas/research can cure that problem.

And, if the OP really wanted a comfortable setup, then yes, he should spend what it takes.

There may be a compromise, but it won't work if he sticks to the spring rates given by the manufacturer.

In EQT's case, the springs are not interchangeable front to rear, so, the OP will have to spend another $100-140 to get the correct springs. Again, I can help here.

OP, try 11K rear with the supplied 8k front, make sure the rear shock has enough rebound for double the wheel rate.

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My "over complication" is just my way of trying to help educate.

I dislike the way many forum members just regurgitate what they hear others say, without any idea what is actually going on in their suspension.

So I try to help, most people don't listen, because they don't actually know what they want or because maybe they are looking for approval (chasssis bracing for example).

As far as calculating what rates are needed, this is something I would do for any forum member, if they asked.

I also stick to my assertion about experiencing a comfortable setup. I've experienced OEM, OEM replacement & high-ish end on the GTI, many cannot make these same comparison which narrows their ability to make informed decisions.

I actually think the stock ride is awful. To bouncy, especially in the rear. Which is one of the benefits of my research is that my ideas/research can cure that problem.

And, if the OP really wanted a comfortable setup, then yes, he should spend what it takes.

There may be a compromise, but it won't work if he sticks to the spring rates given by the manufacturer.

In EQT's case, the springs are not interchangeable front to rear, so, the OP will have to spend another $100-140 to get the correct springs. Again, I can help here.

OP, try 11K rear with the supplied 8k front, make sure the rear shock has enough rebound for double the wheel rate.
Will do David, thanks for your help. I’m coming from a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, so the stock suspension in the GTI honestly feels a thousand times better to me. I just don’t think I have it in me to spend a whole lot more for suspension even if it is a bit better.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Will do David, thanks for your help. I’m coming from a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, so the stock suspension in the GTI honestly feels a thousand times better to me. I just don’t think I have it in me to spend a whole lot more for suspension even if it is a bit better.
Just get stiffer rear springs, springs are cheap. You will get rid of the bounces, and the ride will be great over bumps and dips.

The higher rear spring rate allows the rear of the car to recover quickly compared to the front. The way the OEM springs and every coilover on the market, including my Ohlins, have the front rates higher than the rear, which does nothing for the bounciness.

If I'm wrong, and you hate the ride, I'll by the unused springs off you.

uranorab8

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
+1 for the KW street comforts. I’ve had them on my car since June on a 1” drop and absolutely love the way they ride. It’s actually more comfortable than the stock suspension and really nice and compliant over less than ideal road surfaces.
I can’t speak to the use at a track but the car still retains its sportiness on spirited canyon runs.
4E48DEED-7929-434F-A718-1854213AB097.jpeg

BBF131F8-2D6E-498F-A24D-06D10295E7CF.jpeg

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I had broadway statics on my E46M, they rode great and were low as hell. If you don't want to go super duper low, they still make a great product, and they'll match the springs to your driving style and specific application.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
They key to not having an awful ride is to ensure that there's a fair amount of free bump travel before the bumpstop is engaged, especially up front. If any compression results in getting into the bumpstops it doesn't matter what your static coil spring rates are, because the bumpstops are going to quickly send your actual spring rates to the moon causing a jarring and awful ride. The lower you go, the more difficult this is to do. On the mk6 if you stick to around 1" lower than stock with appropriate length bumpstops the ride is still very smooth, even if the trade-off is a bit of crashiness over really big bumps depending on how heavy your wheels are. I assume the mk7 is similar, but I don't have one handy to look at and measure.