GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
No. It’s not a mechanical lsd. It’s this other shit. It works well when you can nail a good blend of xds + use the increase traction mode and have good tires equipped. but even with all this, at the limit there’s this little delay but at least you won’t terminally understeer

dunno about the twintercooler

Understood -- so the 2019 S has XDS, and the VAQ? Some sources seem to point to the SE and Autobahn/Rabbit being the only ones to receive the VAQ option in earlier years, but it seems like the '19 is when the US GTIs all got VAQ and the other PP goodies.

edit: Confirmed here -- I'm glad this is the 'random/stupid questions' thread! Thanks much.

I think the twintercooler would serve it's purpose on an otherwise stock or mostly stock car. Install is pretty straightforward, it's expensive for what it is though.

Direct-fit replacements have been proven better for flow and cooling at most power levels. But Install is a B.

Front mounts are an easier install and cool perfectly fine. Depending on the core design they also flow fine but relatively speaking pressure drop is more of an issue compared to direct-fit if that is something you care about.

This is pretty much what I'm after -- this isn't the project car by any means, but I'm shooting for 'better than stock', and not an arduous installation. I did Ed's R reps and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but I'm not terribly keen on pulling apart as much as is required for an OE-replacement intercooler. If there's not a noticeable increase in lag/lower boost pressures (research points me to 1PSI of drop on the factory intercooler), or if the impact is minimal for notably better cooling, that sounds like a winner.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
How the hell do you do that and take off from a standstill?
Not in a GTI, that's for sure. I had to drive home from work with a badly sprained left ankle in my 1984 Renault Alliance.
Coincidentally, I also had to left hand shift the same car once, after getting a rather severe gash on my thumb. Not on the same day, luckily. :LOL:

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
This is probably really stupid.

For launch control, I've seen videos of people doing it in their GTIs, and the instrument cluster MFD will say "Launch Control Program Active".

On the very few times I've launched my car (a couple times at the drag strip only) I could tell Launch control was active as I went, but my cluster never told me that it was on.

I've got a 2015 SE with no PP if that matters.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

For launch control, I've seen videos of people doing it in their GTIs, and the instrument cluster MFD will say "Launch Control Program Active".

On the very few times I've launched my car (a couple times at the drag strip only) I could tell Launch control was active as I went, but my cluster never told me that it was on.

my 2015 GTI non-PP also never indicated “Launch Control active” on the MFD, but it definitely worked. I buried a few modded WRXs when I was on bone stock power with bone stock hardware and OEM plastic all seasons lol, they ALL asked me if I had a turbo upgrade🤣🤣🤣

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

That’s weird. Mine shows it. I’ve got a 2020

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
my 2015 GTI non-PP also never indicated “Launch Control active” on the MFD, but it definitely worked. I buried a few modded WRXs when I was on bone stock power with bone stock hardware and OEM plastic all seasons lol, they ALL asked me if I had a turbo upgrade🤣🤣🤣
Without a high rev clutch dump, WRXs take 7+ seconds to hit 60. Most people are justifiably apprehensive to do that enough to be good at it.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Without a high rev clutch dump, WRXs take 7+ seconds to hit 60. Most people are justifiably apprehensive to do that enough to be good at it.
I timed a 2015 on Cobb stage 1 at 4.8 seconds 0-60. 3600rpm launch. And at my elevation (Denver Colorado) that’s pretty impressive considering the elevation and the weight. I never saw a stock wrx launch in the 7’s. That’s crazy to me

cb1111

I think I asked this already, but never got an on-topic answer. Will a 18/20 oz KleanKanteen or Hydroflask fit into the Golf/GTI/Alltrack cup holders?
Just wanted to validate that a 20oz KleanKanteen (including the newer slightly larger widemouth flasks and the Hydroflasks fit nicely. They rattle a bit but I guess I'm spoiled by the Acura that has a rubber sleeve over the four "fingers" that grip the container.

Thanks all for the pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: krs