GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I have to say I haven’t had any braking issues at high speeds, the only thing I’ve gotten is a little shimmy from the rear braking from 110-40 downhill into T2 at Laguna. Otherwise they’ve been fine.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I have to say I haven’t had any braking issues at high speeds, the only thing I’ve gotten is a little shimmy from the rear braking from 110-40 downhill into T2 at Laguna. Otherwise they’ve been fine.
i've tried multiple pads and same dead spot issue, especially when coming from from 130+ which leads to inconsistent braking markers and less confidence....and that oh $hit moment which the car turns into locked brakes....

nice upgrade for those that can get it working

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I now can't find either of my new master cylinders, haha. I will find them eventually. Way back when I was going to 6 pot brakes on my Golf my research told me that my car had a smaller MC (didn't know the size) but that GTI/R/S3/TTRS/etc. all used the same MC which I assumed would be bigger, which is why I ordered it.

What's annoying with car compatibility lists is that even parts.vw.com doesn't always differentiate. For instance, they might show the larger MC as fitting everything from the 1.4L Golf through the Golf R. And in fact it does fit, but it's not what came on the 1.4L. But that could lead you to believe they have the same MC when they actually do not.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I now can't find either of my new master cylinders, haha. I will find them eventually. Way back when I was going to 6 pot brakes on my Golf my research told me that my car had a smaller MC (didn't know the size) but that GTI/R/S3/TTRS/etc. all used the same MC which I assumed would be bigger, which is why I ordered it.

What's annoying with car compatibility lists is that even parts.vw.com doesn't always differentiate. For instance, they might show the larger MC as fitting everything from the 1.4L Golf through the Golf R. And in fact it does fit, but it's not what came on the 1.4L. But that could lead you to believe they have the same MC when they actually do not.

You're the last hope lol, the only surefire way of telling. Only then can we put this to rest. Anything else is still guessing.

Irrelevant, but I have no clue why I'm even doing this lol, I don't have Macan brakes, nor do I have an issue with my stock brakes and I go very hard on brakes at the track.

Anyways, find them haha.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I will, Macan brakes will be on this week, hopefully done tomorrow. PP rear brakes should be ready from the painter as well. With bigger brakes front and rear I need to find at least one of those MC's to get it installed (assuming it's bigger than my stock unit).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If I didn't have PP brakes to begin with, I would have stayed with none PP rears. No benefit to the PP rears.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
The Macan brakes are fine for the most part on the street. It's when you go to press the pedal at 85+ is where the trouble starts...

You're the last hope lol, the only surefire way of telling. Only then can we put this to rest. Anything else is still guessing.

Irrelevant, but I have no clue why I'm even doing this lol, I don't have Macan brakes, nor do I have an issue with my stock brakes and I go very hard on brakes at the track.

Anyways, find them haha.
:giggle:
Dissagree.gif

I think it is a lot more than a guess. Not only is VW telling us (with the fitment guide) that they are the same, we also have all this photographic evidence of actual MC's pulled from cars made in 2015-2019. Unless you think that is all somehow fake?

I do agree it is a bit confusing with all the different models and part numbers, as to which ones have the 23.8 mm piston like the one you bought. You never answered, do you no for sure what car that came out of? Oh unless, is that outer lip I was referencing on yours something other than 46 mm? Seems highly unlikely, but that would certainly throw off the photo measurements if that was the case.

More confirmation never hurts, but I think at this point we have more than enough information to say with a high degree of confidence that all the MK7 GTI's and Golf R's already have a 25.4 mm MC piston, no?

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
:giggle:
View attachment 201227

I think it is a lot more than a guess. Not only is VW telling us (with the fitment guide) that they are the same, we also have all this photographic evidence of actual MC's pulled from cars made in 2015-2019. Unless you think that is all somehow fake?

I do agree it is a bit confusing with all the different models and part numbers, as to which ones have the 23.8 mm piston like the one you bought. You never answered, do you no for sure what car that came out of? Oh unless, is that outer lip I was referencing on yours something other than 46 mm? Seems highly unlikely, but that would certainly throw off the photo measurements if that was the case.

More confirmation never hurts, but I think at this point we have more than enough information to say with a high degree of confidence that all the MK7 GTI's and Golf R's already have a 25.4 mm MC piston, no?

Why is it so hard to believe someone wants to verify physically vs via photos? Just because not everyone is a pushover doesn't mean everyone should just settle for a shortcut, especially when we know someone here WITH BOTH MASTER CYLINDERS.

Patience is a virtue, what's the rush, not like anyone here is on a schedule....

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Why is it so hard to believe someone wants to verify physically vs via photos? Just because not everyone is a pushover doesn't mean everyone should just settle for a shortcut, especially when we know someone here WITH BOTH MASTER CYLINDERS.

Patience is a virtue, what's the rush, not like anyone here is on a schedule....
Just saying we do have evidence, so it is far more than just a guess. Physical evidence is better of course, but the photos (especially from independent sources, and several different cars/vendors) is far from nothing. I found the measurements to be pretty conclusive, try it yourself if you don't believe me.
Does he have both? At this point I am not sure what he has, and apparently neither does he. :) You should know by now that I am only interested in getting to the truth whatever that happens to be, I have no agenda here other than that. I am just saying based on everything we have seen so far, I think it is enough to be reasonably certain. However, if someone has more information that corroborates or says otherwise, I welcome it. If you recall I was the one hounding him about taking measurements, it was only when he never replied back that the idea to use the EBAY photos occurred to me.

Again, just saying we have way more than a guess at this point. Is there a flaw in my photo analysis? I don't think so, but please feel free to verify my findings. I am wondering what led you to believe these cars had a smaller piston in the first place? It seems like until I happened to measure the one out of that wrecked 2019, no one even knew there was a 25.4 mm version of this MC. Now it is looking like it is more common than the 23.8 mm piston. Why is this so hard to believe, and what evidence is there to suggest otherwise?

You never answered my questions, do you know for sure what vehicle your MC came out of? And is the outer lip 46 mm?

We are doing this for the same reason, do we need to get a better hobby? Maybe :)

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Seeing as sequential TCR race cars used non-PP rears, I'd guess not.
I bet the bias is adjustable on the race car. Either way I like my base rear setup just fine

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I reached out to Technafit Chris again regarding rear brake lines and it would appear they've switched over to the zinc plated steel.

Thoughts? VWR makes stainless rear lines with stainless fittings but they are $91 versus $50 for the Technafit ones.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I reached out to Technafit Chris again regarding rear brake lines and it would appear they've switched over to the zinc plated steel.

Thoughts? VWR makes stainless rear lines with stainless fittings but they are $91 versus $50 for the Technafit ones.
It would depend where I lived. Do you live in the rust belt? Get the SS.