GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It seems that I find way easier these days the Audi calipers. however I have 2 big questions:
  • I came across 8R0615105 BN and 8R0615106 BN part numbers which are labeled also as SQ5 calipers by the sellers. Are these from a different generation of SQ5 and no good for this upgrade?
  • For the pair 8R0615107 - 8R0615108 I find the parts with different ending letter. Like F, G, H. Should I be looking for 'letter' in particular or these are just revisions and any of them will do the job?
Are you intending to install the Macan calipers or looking for alternative caliper options? If looking for other options, as it seems based on the provided part numbers... might want to start a new thread. People looking for not Macan calipers will be more likely to drop-in. And the info that you/others come up with will be easier to find, without having to go through a 1,000+ post thread.
I just went with the Techna fit ones, hopefully I don't regret not getting SS.

Are the rear lines on the R the same as the GTI PP? I bought the ones from USP Motorsports for mine.
I think the lines are different on cars with Electronic Parking Brake. I seem to remember 10 vs 12mm banjo bolt, with the 12mm being for PP GTI's.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Are you intending to install the Macan calipers or looking for alternative caliper options? If looking for other options, as it seems based on the provided part numbers... might want to start a new thread. People looking for not Macan calipers will be more likely to drop-in. And the info that you/others come up with will be easier to find, without having to go through a 1,000+ post thread.

I think the lines are different on cars with Electronic Parking Brake. I seem to remember 10 vs 12mm banjo bolt, with the 12mm being for PP GTI's.

Makes sense, seems like nothing is compatible between the calipers on GTI vs R cars.

And yep the GTI PP cars have 12mm banjo bolts.

StefanV

It was confirmed few pages ago that the Macan calipers are identical with others from within VAG.
Couldn't tell you which BBS fit, but they are the same as the Audi Q5, except less expensive.
On a different forum https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/bbk-big-brake-kit-brembo-porsche-macan-audi-q5-a7-s7-rs7.9428469 the compatibilities are listed.
Sorry I didn't intend to make a mess of this thread.... I thought since the calipers are identical there is no need for a dedicated thread.

StefanV

Does anyone know what would be the benefit of going with this setup over something like the ProdigyWerks CR4 kit for us non-PP guys? This setup seems like around $200-300 more with everything while the CR-4 kit allows you to use the existing stock non-PP rotors and lines, their 4 piston calipers bolt right up.

I see the only benefit of the Macan is they're Brembo calipers and have a bigger rotor surface area.

https://www.prodigywerks.com/product-page/cr4d55-31225d62-auvw-mqbfk
Thanks a lot for sharing the info about Prodigy Werks CR4 kit. I wasn't aware of its existence.
I got now the same question as you do. I had the NQSBBK kit on a previous Edition 30 a few years ago. Great pedal feel. If my assumption that the Macan calipers pistons are 40mm each is correct, by computing the piston surface area it look like a big departure from 36mm/40mm staggered setup of the 986 calipers. 2274.52 mm2 for the NQSBBK vs 2513.28 mm2 for the Macan vs 2268.23 mm2 for CR4. Am I wrong assuming 40mm as the Macan calipers pistons size?
Did everybody that installed these calipers got a softer brake pedal?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks a lot for sharing the info about Prodigy Werks CR4 kit. I wasn't aware of its existence.
I got now the same question as you do. I had the NQSBBK kit on a previous Edition 30 a few years ago. Great pedal feel. If my assumption that the Macan calipers pistons are 40mm each is correct, by computing the piston surface area it look like a big departure from 36mm/40mm staggered setup of the 986 calipers. 2274.52 mm2 for the NQSBBK vs 2513.28 mm2 for the Macan vs 2268.23 mm2 for CR4. Am I wrong assuming 40mm as the Macan calipers pistons size?
Did everybody that installed these calipers got a softer brake pedal?
Macan pistons are 42mm.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That is even worse in the sense that the pistons area is even greater 2770.89 mm2
Yep, that's why everyone is doing the obd11 tweaks, using Castrol red rubber grease and some are using the RPV's.

I'm not sure what your point is? Almost all BBK's have the same issue and we've offered solutions for the issues in a kit that costs $1000.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Anyone have issues with the 8J TTRS pads in DS2500 compound through FCPEuro? I noticed the pad has the sensor cutout but otherwise seems the same. About to order all the things to refresh my brakes and was going to go through them but just wanted to confirm fitment first.

Edit: ignore me, was looking at the wrong pads :). Confirmed the Ferodo part# is the same as what I currently run.

Last edited:

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Sounds great! What is an RPV and how long does the greased effects last?
I see you have already been directed to my post, it is a lot of information and perhaps a bit hard to follow. I started posting about this while I was still experimenting, researching, and learning, so unfortunately it is verbose and all over the place with conversations on several threads. I was thinking about just making a new clean thread with just the latest information, instructions, and final outcome in one easy to follow post. I might try to do that this weekend since the weather is kind of harsh right now and supposed to stay like that all weekend.

I greased my seals several months ago and now have three track sessions and about 8000 miles on it, and so far they are still going strong. I am on the same pads and was thinking if I don't notice a change in the pedal first, I will do a rebuild after going through 2-3 pad sets, or 2 years (which ever comes first). This is a DD so I only track it on occasion and usually don't go all out for an entire session. I am running DS2500's and MPS4 tires so you really can't push it to hard with those tires and pads.
The stock calipers also use grease on the seals, my stock calipers had 40K on them and the grease was still there doing its job (see piston retraction test data). So I would say a very long time, and for a car that only see's normal street use, probably more or less the life of the car (but again depends on usage).

StefanV

Yep, that's why everyone is doing the obd11 tweaks, using Castrol red rubber grease and some are using the RPV's.

I'm not sure what your point is? Almost all BBK's have the same issue and we've offered solutions for the issues in a kit that costs $1000.
I guess being not convinced I was thinking out loud. And I still do :) considering this a flawed kit and it kind of reminds of a time a few years ago when people were fitting Cayenne/Touareg calipers to GTIs, "downgrading" their braking system for the sake of BBK mirage.
I think I'll go the Prodigy Werks route....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I guess being not convinced I was thinking out loud. And I still do :) considering this a flawed kit and it kind of reminds of a time a few years ago when people were fitting Cayenne/Touareg calipers to GTIs, "downgrading" their braking system for the sake of BBK mirage.
I think I'll go the Prodigy Werks route....
The prodigy kit uses 312mm rotors or 340?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are multiple options from their end. I go back and forth between CR4 (312mm) and FS6 (340mm). They have different options but will be a total overkill for my use case.
Check https://www.prodigywerks.com
I'm not seeing prices, but are you saying the FS6 340 costs less than the Brembo setup?

StefanV

FS6 Caliper Bolt-On Kit - *Requires 340mm x 30mm factory discs/rotors
List: USD$895.00

Kit Includes:
  • Prodigywerks FS6 6-Pistons Calipers (Pair)
  • ProdigyWerks R93 High Performance D61 Brake Pads (1 set)
  • Teflon Steel Braided Brake Lines (Pair)
  • Mounting Brackets (Pair)
  • Screws, bolts and necessary hardwares. (1 set)
  • Installation Manual

now it will look like I'm promoting them or have some sort of affiliation :)
https://www.prodigywerks.com/audia3-vwgolf