GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, I went with your suggestion and swapped the CTS CBE for the CSS muffler. I've been reading that res delete would deepen the tone and some of the videos I've seen would suggest the same. However, I'm not trying to spend $150+ on a pipe and 2 clamps to accomplish that. Any recommendations? Do you sell a res delete kit?

I can build them, but never have. I wouldn’t recommend it nor would it be cheaper than that. People post cold start videos of resonator deletes to help cope with the fact that its a complete waste of money. Outside of cold start high idle you’d be hard pressed to detect any difference at all with a resonator delete.

Its a lot more expensive and time consuming to hand build parts vs having something bent in China

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
damn those welds look like a stack of dimes. beautiful. @GTI Jake is there anything else I can do to make it sound less "tinny"

i don't want to mess with the downpipe cuz...CA emissions suck. otherwise that's the first thing i wuld've done @impulsive.ca

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
damn those welds look like a stack of dimes. beautiful. @GTI Jake is there anything else I can do to make it sound less "tinny"

i don't want to mess with the downpipe cuz...CA emissions suck. otherwise that's the first thing i wuld've done @impulsive.ca

Although I’ve never used one without a downpipe the trusty Vibrant 17950 deepens tone regardless of the setup.

Bolt on version is tree fifty and includes clamps for installation, but you didn’t hear that from me because no advertisements allowed 🥸

I don’t blame you a bit for wanting to keep the OEM downpipe in place, California is tough on that stuff.

Reactions: MSH

E.TMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
I’d buy it from a reputable source like Summit Racing.

No comment on that. I’m a fabricator and don’t endorse junk
Here is a video following up on my custom exhaust build recommended by Jake! Still need to do a sound clip but sounds really good.

Trackslag non catted 4 inch DP
vibrant 17950 and Borla XS pro.
used private label manufacturing for the T Pipe. Only full 3 inch out there.

https://instagram.com/p/CKEWTKXlqHN/

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Here is a video following up on my custom exhaust build recommended by Jake! Still need to do a sound clip but sounds really good.

How do you like the Trackslag DP? Did it replace another aftermarket DP?

E.TMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
How do you like the Trackslag DP? Did it replace another aftermarket DP?
Yup, it replaced APR catted DP. Definitely no regrets especially since I sold the APR one for 550 and bought the trackslag for a title over 600. I hear the spool much more but could tell my 60-100 dropped consistently .1-.2

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yup, it replaced APR catted DP. Definitely no regrets especially since I sold the APR one for 550 and bought the trackslag for a title over 600. I hear the spool much more but could tell my 60-100 dropped consistently .1-.2
Wow my speeds improved quite a bit because it gets into boost sooner. .

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Oof those crush bends. I’m glad you’re happy with the sound but those bends are a major restriction

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
CARB is stupid.
While I agree in some respects, I also enjoy breathing and not have asthma.

When I was a kid, the sky was brown for most of the year. Not hyperbole. You could taste the air once you came back from somewhere above the inversion layer, Big Bear, Mt Wilson or San Jacinto for example. Even coming back from out of town w/ the windows up, like Vegas or Tucson, you could smell it once you opened the door. There were a few days during summer where if you blew your nose, your snot would be brown or black.
Kids would go outside and play during recess and come back in wheezing. Later when I was older, they could just cancel recess completely and have the kids inside.

The only time in recent memory the sky has been brown and you couldn't open the windows to let in fresh air was during those major wildfires. All the blue sky days are really because of CARB, especially for the numerous valleys scattered around the state. Sure, it makes things difficult to mod cars, but when it comes down to it. I enjoy breathing freely much much more than a bunch of hp and a nicer sounding exhaust. Even just being able to drive w/ the sunroof open or top down and not hacking up a lung makes driving much more enjoyable.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
While I agree in some respects, I also enjoy breathing and not have asthma.

When I was a kid, the sky was brown for most of the year. Not hyperbole. You could taste the air once you came back from somewhere above the inversion layer, Big Bear, Mt Wilson or San Jacinto for example. Even coming back from out of town w/ the windows up, like Vegas or Tucson, you could smell it once you opened the door. There were a few days during summer where if you blew your nose, your snot would be brown or black.
Kids would go outside and play during recess and come back in wheezing. Later when I was older, they could just cancel recess completely and have the kids inside.

The only time in recent memory the sky has been brown and you couldn't open the windows to let in fresh air was during those major wildfires. All the blue sky days are really because of CARB, especially for the numerous valleys scattered around the state. Sure, it makes things difficult to mod cars, but when it comes down to it. I enjoy breathing freely much much more than a bunch of hp and a nicer sounding exhaust. Even just being able to drive w/ the sunroof open or top down and not hacking up a lung makes driving much more enjoyable.
False. Because of covid lockdowns

E.TMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Oof those crush bends. I’m glad you’re happy with the sound but those bends are a major restriction

I honestly didn’t think they were too bad but I will be adding a electric downturn where the DP ends so no restricts when in Mexico.
Overall Its definitely on the quieter side which is what I wanted. Funny thing after talking to the wife she says she does care anymore lol so may take off the Borla XS Pro later in the year to see how it sounds. The combo of the 2 is awesome though. The drone in the cabin I had with the APr catted DP was super annoying now it’s only slightly noticeable

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Something that got me curious as we now know how effective the 17950 is. What happens when you add a second one into the mix, perhaps one after the other paired with the stock catback?