GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Transmission Fluid Change

joevw22

Ready to race!
Hey, I'm going to go change my transmission fluid, got everything I need, but I'm a little nervous because everyone's using a VAGCOM to check temps for drainage. I was wondering if there's a cheaper solution like buying an OBD2 to USB dongle and using their free windows program? Would that work out or would I have to find someone to rent a VAGCOM from?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
OBDEleven is what a lot of people are using now days since its like 90% the functionality of VCDS on a phone app but it uses a proprietary dongle. It's waay cheaper than VCDS. I don't know if you can pull up the trans temp with a standard OBD2 app/program but ive never tried with any of mine.

Or you could always buy a hacked version w/cable of VCDS for PC cheap too. >_>

When ive done it warming up the car at idle for like 10 mins was enough to get in range.

Truth be told though... a lot of the veterans in the DSG TDI world especially world don't even do the temp check & drain anymore. They just drain it, toss in 4.6L and call it a day. If you let it drain as much out as possible on a level surface it should be fine. The thing isnt going to blow up on you because its 3% overfilled.

Last edited:

joevw22

Ready to race!
OBDEleven is what a lot of people are using now days since its like 90% the functionality of VCDS on a phone app but it uses a proprietary dongle. It's waay cheaper than VCDS. I don't know if you can pull up the trans temp with a standard OBD2 app/program but ive never tried with any of mine.

Or you could always buy a hacked version w/cable of VCDS for PC cheap too. >_>

When ive done it warming up the car at idle for like 10 mins was enough to get in range.

Truth be told though... a lot of the veterans in the DSG TDI world especially world don't even do the temp check & drain anymore. They just drain it, toss in 4.6L and call it a day. If you let it drain as much out as possible on a level surface it should be fine. The thing isnt going to blow up on you because its 3% overfilled.
Appreciate the help, I decided to go in with a buddy of mine and buy the $200 plug. He needs his new throttle body recalibrated and I wanted/needed a lot of shit done w mine including temp check. $100 each and we're both happy so it worked out good in the end :)

Phur

Autocross Champion

jedred1

jedred1
I used my OBD reader and the Torque app on my phone.

jedred1

jedred1

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I prefer the top fill method. It's soo easy and mess free, and only required a regular funnel but pref one with a tube on it.

fbgmoney

Ready to race!
I've done 3 DSG flushes using a kitchen scale to put approximate the fluid that came out and put about the same back in (plus a little extra)- ignoring the warming and excess drain procedure. Car hasn't blown up yet. I did use the same process for a friend and he had a mechatronics failure....

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Mechatronics failure is somewhat common for certain years anyway so not likely it's something you did. I'm not a fan of the measure fill method if you don't know the cars history though. What if it was underfilled? Draining it and tossing in ~4.6L should be good to go.

Last edited:

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I'm not a fan of the measure fill method if you don't know the cars history though. What if it was underfilled? Draining it and tossing in ~4.6L should be good to go.

^this....

I've never understood the requirement to drain extra fluid out once at temp. A little extra fluid is going to help keep temps down which can be an issue for DSG boxes and clutches.