Best tune for golf r

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
4xolc1.jpg

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I’m currently with Unitronic which was on the car when I bought it. I was Stage 1+ but was pulling 6 degrees of timing with Canadian West Coast shit gas which was Chevron 94. Dropped to Stage 1 and lost 20 ft lbs of torque but the car is much happier. I’m also using their Stage 1 TCU tune. My MK7 R was tuned with United Motorsports Stage II tune with APR DP, Intake and BMS IC. Unitronic has nothing on UM where their TCU tune is concerned and my UM tune pulled very little timing. I vote UM.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I was Unitronic stage 2 (93) for 3 years, my Golf R ran flawlessly during that time. I switched to EQT Stage 2 (93) so I could have more options available using the Cobb system. I still have the option to go back to Unitronic if I want but highly doubt I will ever go back. EQT WOKE my Golf R up and with the latest version v2.51 it's super smooth yet fiercely powerful. To me EQT is like a mixture of APR and Unitronic when it comes to power delivery. APR is known for a strong low-end and Unitronic is known for a nice top-end and silky smooth power. EQT has a strong bottom-end and powerful top-end while being silky smooth and linear. There is a reason his business has blown up, he does great work and continues to fine tune and improve his OTS tunes. Oh and his v2.51 E30 tune is insane...so much fun. Good luck!

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I was Unitronic stage 2 (93) for 3 years, my Golf R ran flawlessly during that time. I switched to EQT Stage 2 (93) so I could have more options available using the Cobb system. I still have the option to go back to Unitronic if I want but highly doubt I will ever go back. EQT WOKE my Golf R up and with the latest version v2.51 it's super smooth yet fiercely powerful. To me EQT is like a mixture of APR and Unitronic when it comes to power delivery. APR is known for a strong low-end and Unitronic is known for a nice top-end and silky smooth power. EQT has a strong bottom-end and powerful top-end while being silky smooth and linear. There is a reason his business has blown up, he does great work and continues to fine tune and improve his OTS tunes. Oh and his v2.51 E30 tune is insane...so much fun. Good luck!

Have any 1/4 times?

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
I just recently switched from APR S1 (93 high torque) to Unitronic S1+ (their 93 version) and I won't go back. This may sound redundant but the power delivery is linear and enjoyable. I also switched to the Unitronic DSG tune and that took a little getting used to in Sport mode. Most shifts after first don't happen until after 4k. You're in 5th until 75mph or 80 even. After getting used to that, I also wouldn't go back. The DSG is ready to deliver power while in Sport mode and that to me is what you really want.

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
A year later and I am Unitronic Stage 2 and the 1/4 times are pretty identical and I am actually disappointed about that. Thought for sure I'd pull a few tenths off but, I lost 1 tenth off the 1/4. Full bolt ons. I need to run some logs. However, as far as drivability on and off track, it's fantastic! If you go the downpipe route, keep the resonator. Trust me.

Mooseman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 TT RS
I have been on IE 91 Octane High Torque Stage 1 + DSG as well as EQT Stage 1 + DSG.
I haven't been to the drag strip yet since switching to EQT, but it feels better with dramatically less pedal lag.

This is the slip from my last drag session with the IE tune (the right).
IMG_1551.jpeg

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
The one I don't see in here is United Motorsport. Anyone running them? They were pretty popular in the Mk6 and earlier days and AFAIK they are the only one with flex tune for 19+ golf r, at least when I inquired they said they could do that for me where IE has been slow to release this even though it has been in beta testing for some time.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I just recently switched from APR S1 (93 high torque) to Unitronic S1+ (their 93 version) and I won't go back. This may sound redundant but the power delivery is linear and enjoyable. I also switched to the Unitronic DSG tune and that took a little getting used to in Sport mode. Most shifts after first don't happen until after 4k. You're in 5th until 75mph or 80 even. After getting used to that, I also wouldn't go back. The DSG is ready to deliver power while in Sport mode and that to me is what you really want.
My ¼ miles times went from 12.1 - 12.0 with Unitronic S2 (93) to 11.7 - 11.8 with EQT S2 (93), FWIW still not planning on going back to Unitronic.