GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FIXED:What is this noise!!!

Chemphill

2012 mk6 GTI, 63k just bought used. About 2 weeks after I got it the dogbone mount bolt came out and unfortunately had to drive it home as careful as I could. Got a new one in and it’s all fixed. Couple days ago on my way home from work I noticed a hissing noise on more than 30% throttle when I would hit 3k rpms. Got the car home and tried looking around for a boost leak anywhere only could check the intake and didn’t see anything loose. The next day I got a CEL so I got it read and it says it’s p0101 for the maf.... anyone have any ideas???? Ordered a DV and I’m gonna throw that in this weekend just because..

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
torn boot or something cracked from the loose mount.

Chemphill

Jack up the car and remove the splash shield and check all your intercooler piping. Intercooler inlet and outlet most common leak spots.
Getting under the car tomorrow morning, hoping worst case a pipe cracked or split. There’s a vw dealer close to my place so worst case I can just run over there and get replacements. Appreciate the help!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yeah if you had a loose dogbone mount good chance one of the intercooler couplers just popped out Hopefully nothing cracked but those pipes are an easy replacement at least.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah if you had a loose dogbone mount good chance one of the intercooler couplers just popped out Hopefully nothing cracked but those pipes are an easy replacement at least.
yep, would be good to pull the c-clips and take them apart to inspect the oring and feel if they still have good engagement. may get lucky and have it be something visually obvious... but based on the "above 3k" comment, i am guessing it is a pressure leak which can be hard to find at idle or without pressurizing the system.

i had the charge boot tear on my passat and verified it with obd checking boost , if you have a manual gauge it is even easier to verify. the boot tore from battery acid corroding/degrading it... part of the recall units that sat on a lot for a year, so some stuff went to shit.

point is, if it is boost leak, you can check before climbing underneath.

Chemphill

UPDATE: Sorry for taking so long got super busy with work and forgot all about it. Boost leak found the pipe clamp on the inlet side I believe came loose. Checked all the O-Rings and they looked fine. Weird