GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
About How long is it taking people to get the new EQT tune version? I purchased the update Wednesday morning. Was kinda hoping i would have the new tune file before the weekend.
Patrick said today he'd have all outstanding orders sent by the end of the day. I placed mine Monday night and haven't seen it yet. I saw some people that had ordered theirs sunday night/monday morning were getting their updates at 3am last night, so they're bustin their asses tryin to get them out.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Patrick said today he'd have all outstanding orders sent by the end of the day. I placed mine Monday night and haven't seen it yet. I saw some people that had ordered theirs sunday night/monday morning were getting their updates at 3am last night, so they're bustin their asses tryin to get them out.

I've always gotten things from Pat overnight. Pretty sure he's a vampire.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Are you a manual or DSG car?

Its funny reading this because throttle mapping did not change for the Golf R's in this revision. The major change in that regard was on pre-2019 GTI's.

-- Ed
This is what the Golf R's got:
2/21/2021 - V2.51 (All Golf R/S3)

• Revised fueling strategy to improve spool and response during aggressive driving.
  • Revised valve lift switchover points for smoother powerband at partial and full throttle. Especially noticeable on manual transmission cars.
  • Reduced coolant temperature targets. This results in cooler coolant and oil temperatures which makes for more consistent power levels and reduces knock.
  • Included fixes for issues specifically affecting the 2018 Golf R. This includes inconsistent launch control activation for DSG cars, and some shifting/drivability issues for MT cars.
  • Added upgraded HPFP variant of all maps. This is meant to work with the Autotech Upgraded High Pressure Fuel Pump internals.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is what the Golf R's got:
2/21/2021 - V2.51 (All Golf R/S3)

• Revised fueling strategy to improve spool and response during aggressive driving.
  • Revised valve lift switchover points for smoother powerband at partial and full throttle. Especially noticeable on manual transmission cars.
  • Reduced coolant temperature targets. This results in cooler coolant and oil temperatures which makes for more consistent power levels and reduces knock.
  • Included fixes for issues specifically affecting the 2018 Golf R. This includes inconsistent launch control activation for DSG cars, and some shifting/drivability issues for MT cars.
  • Added upgraded HPFP variant of all maps. This is meant to work with the Autotech Upgraded High Pressure Fuel Pump internals.

Are you telling Ed what's in the update he made?

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie

That's good news. I also ordered Wednesday, and was hoping to see it before the weekend. Has anyone that ordered this week seen them emailed tonight?

(I'm just being impatient)

edit - You called it, tune was sent at ~4:00 AM this morning...

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I'ma just gonna sit here and be patient again :)
2 weeks here waiting, but I assume like last time, the protune updates are being done manually by Ed and will take a little longer.

I think it was close to a month to get my 2.0 update for my protune.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I just went for about a 35 minute drive around town with 2.51. It's a nice improvement for manual owners. It feels like a few different things going on at once that really brings everything to feel how it should. When you let off the gas it's a much smoother transition so you don't feel the motor rocking as much. It also makes it so the car doesn't slow down really quickly when you let off the throttle, making parking lot and traffic driving in 1st and 2nd much smoother. I had a shift where I let off the throttle maybe half a second too early before I clutched and instead of losing a ton of momentum right away it was a smooth shift. Accelerating through first is also more consistent and throttle adjustments were smoother. It also felt a lot easier to have the rpms where you want them when the clutch grabs for the next gear making that transition smoother as well. I'm anxious to see how it drives long term, but I'm happy with my initial impressions and so far it seems like it's going to make daily driving a lot more enjoyable.

Coolant temps also never exceeded 205 and mostly sat around 199.

Last edited:

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Here's another 2.51 review from a manual guy.

Two weeks ago I switched from Unitronic Stage 1 91, which gave me 20k perfect, OEM+ miles to EQT Stage 1 91 2.5, and I was blown away by the power/torque increase. It felt like going Stage 1 for the first time again. Yet the drivability wasn't as refined as Unitronic, the car FELT tuned, boost came on/off like a toggle switch. The valve lift switchover point at ~3k was extremely noticeable and oil temps were higher than I ever saw with Unitronic, even in 105F CA summers. That being said, the power was amazing and drivability was still very good, just not on par with Unitronic.

Enter 2.51. Holy shit. I'm not that familiar with software version naming conventions, but surely this is 3.0???

All the minor issues of refinement are gone, drivability is now as good as the Unitronic tune except with gobs more power and torque, which are delivered more smoothly. The valve switchover is seamless and oil temps are sitting perfectly around 100C/212F. I'm blown away.

I made the switch because it seemed like Unitronic's product, which was arguably fine in 2018, is essentially obsolete now. I thought with 2.5 that a conservative, OEM+ kind of driver may still want Unitronic, but no longer. This is an exceptionally high-quality, fun tune, and those old tunes developed by companies who've since abandoned the platform are a waste of money in 2021.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Can't wait to get my AP so I can order their stg1 tune.

That said, is there a noticeable difference between the 91 and 93 octane tune? I'm used to paying more at the pumps during the fun season anyway, but I'm not seeing any charts or power claims having a smidge more octane.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can't wait to get my AP so I can order their stg1 tune.

That said, is there a noticeable difference between the 91 and 93 octane tune? I'm used to paying more at the pumps during the fun season anyway, but I'm not seeing any charts or power claims having a smidge more octane.
93 has about 10HP over 91.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The update is making me fall in love with manuals again. It's surprising how much it's improved my shifting. Rowing through the gears is so much more satisfying and everything feels so much more direct. I'm landing perfect shifts every shift with so much less effort. It doesn't matter how much throttle I'm giving it or if it's an upshift or a downshift, it's all that much better. I almost feel kinda crazy saying it since the clutch and transmissions are mechanical parts and the only thing that changed is the tuning, but if you could feel the difference...

After my post last night I went for another 30-40 minute drive and then today I drove around for a little over an hour. I'm just driving for the sake of driving because I'm enjoying it that much.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, can't say I've felt an issue with smoothness on the 2.5 tune with my '19 6MT. Wasn't going to bother to upgrade but now I'm sorta thinking I should...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Hmm, can't say I've felt an issue with smoothness on the 2.5 tune with my '19 6MT. Wasn't going to bother to upgrade but now I'm sorta thinking I should...
The last revision for my car was 2.01, so I think I've now got the improvements that 2019 owners got with 2.5.