GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to get back into a fast Golf

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
After driving MKV and MKVI GTIs for years and having left the brand a few years back I'm looking to joining again. I'm approaching 40 now so looking into a used R or a new GTI Autobahn (some heavy discounts locally....one dealer is selling a 2021 demo with 1k miles for $28k).

What's a fair price for a 2019 R? A local dealer has a blue 2019 R with DSG and 19k miles and they want $38k, I offered $35,5 but they refused. Another car I'm eyeing is a 2021 GTI Autobahn with 1000 miles on it (it was a dealer demo) for $28k. The problem with the Autobahn is that it's black and I want to get away from black cars (my MKVI was black and my current car is as well).

• What is a fair price for a used R? Am I off base with my offer?
  • Should I consider the GTI (afraid of always regretting not getting the R)?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
R/GTI prices are through the roof right now unfortunately, so it's kind of a bad time to be trying to buy one. Dealerships also seem to like to price the R's at a huge premium (dealer wanted $36k for a 3 year old R with 40k miles when I test drove it), so their pricing seems like what I would expect from the used market at this point.

As for GTI vs R, I'd test drive both and see what you think. There are many who prefer the GTI to the R so there's no right answer I think.

joecc

Car(s)
Tacoma
I've been looking at 2018/19's R's too and the prices seem crazy, almost as much as they sold for new.

I think it's partially because of the overall covid used car price increases seen across the board, and more likely because if you really want a golf R the only choice you have are used Golf R's until 2022 (late 2021). Once the new 2022 Golf R's become readily available, I bet the used R prices will drop back to where they should be, at historically depreciated price levels

Last edited:

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
R/GTI prices are through the roof right now unfortunately, so it's kind of a bad time to be trying to buy one. Dealerships also seem to like to price the R's at a huge premium (dealer wanted $36k for a 3 year old R with 40k miles when I test drove it), so their pricing seems like what I would expect from the used market at this point.

As for GTI vs R, I'd test drive both and see what you think. There are many who prefer the GTI to the R so there's no right answer I think.
Holy cow, if somebody will pay that I just got 30k miles for free on my R over the last 3 years. Picked it up with like 3k miles on the clock for that price in 2017 (same year as car).

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
Now is probably about the worst time ever to be in the used car market.

Sure is, only reason I'm actively looking is because someone bought my Volvo V60 R-Design (Polestar optimized) for $5k more than what I paid for it 2 years ago.

Another thing I noticed, while used R's are expensive they sit for a long time. So the demand isn't quite outstripping supply (at least around here were everyone would rather drive a truck).

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Holy cow, if somebody will pay that I just got 30k miles for free on my R over the last 3 years. Picked it up with like 3k miles on the clock for that price in 2017 (same year as car).

A few people have already posted about selling their MK7 in this market and essentially driving it for "free" for a couple years based on the premium.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Sure is, only reason I'm actively looking is because someone bought my Volvo V60 R-Design (Polestar optimized) for $5k more than what I paid for it 2 years ago.

Another thing I noticed, while used R's are expensive they sit for a long time. So the demand isn't quite outstripping supply (at least around here were everyone would rather drive a truck).

I suspect that is somewhat regional. R's sat around here too--especially manuals--but seemed to get snatched up quicker outside the SE.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Last time I was at the dealership to get an oil filter the salesman outside told me to give him a call if I wanted to sell my wagon (or trade it in).

ssaylor

Passed Driver's Ed
The main thing driving pre-owned prices right now is supply and demand. There are no new Rs available and they won’t be until 2022 Tesla offered $31K for my 9K mile 17 Oryx DSG. This pretty much matches KBB and NADA, retail is ~ $32-36K. My answer to that was an APR Stage 1 tune. 357 HP keeps up with most Teslas just fine. 😮