GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Full Catch Can System for the MQB Platform 1.8/2.0T

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I could swear I heard of someone with the Spulen v2 (@vw671 ?) have weird STFTs with the plate, which might explain that. Thank you for the detailed explanation on the n80 actuation!
I ran the V2 plate for a while as well as the OEM. Actually, over the last year I must have installed and removed both at least 5 times each. Can't say I recorded my logging sessions, but its function, the OEM one is quite interesting.

I wish I had the resources to make my own and break the market. My opinion is the options out there are quite lazy from an engineering point of view. I was hoping this last one would distance itself from the smaller shops.

Reactions: q74

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Usually no CEL, but I have seen it alter MPG and AFR a bit. Not to mention an extended Fuel Tank Ventilation readiness set period in which in some cases, fails to pass altogether.
Great....in the off chance I'm still in this car yet another thing I have to worry about when 2023 rolls around and emissions testing begins for my '16 R. Colorado is nearly as strict/painful as CA.
Oh well at least swapping back to stock PCV isn't too painful. The spacer game with DP on the other hand (ideally would like to avoid stock DP swap back)

Anyway back on topic...also interested on more reports on this can. I have a BNIB Racingline CC that I'm now contemplating selling for the APR CC.
I swapped over to the "BL" PCV but I'm still getting a touch of smoke at times on hard pulls (30psi on Vortex). I have to imagine first track day could be a smoke fest unless I make the move to one of these CCs. iABED baffled pan going on to which should help

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Great....in the off chance I'm still in this car yet another thing I have to worry about when 2023 rolls around and emissions testing begins for my '16 R. Colorado is nearly as strict/painful as CA.
Oh well at least swapping back to stock PCV isn't too painful. The spacer game with DP on the other hand (ideally would like to avoid stock DP swap back)

Anyway back on topic...also interested on more reports on this can. I have a BNIB Racingline CC that I'm now contemplating selling for the APR CC.
I swapped over to the "BL" PCV but I'm still getting a touch of smoke at times on hard pulls (30psi on Vortex). I have to imagine first track day could be a smoke fest unless I make the move to one of these CCs. iABED baffled pan going on to which should help
My '19 came with the BL plate, and I definitely have issues at 30psi on a vortex. Definitely putting my v2 plate on before I get my XL housing on, but yeah, super curious to see if there's a plate-only version of this I could try.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion

My opinion is that APR and Spulen V2 are the only two worth buying. For aftermarket plates anyhow. I say this based on the OEM PCV white papers, my own experience with the V2 and what so far seems to be APRs attempt. I don't understand how the RL made it this far to be honest. Never understood how they pulled off blocking the crankshaft ventilation port AND on top of that, run higher boost pressures.

The APR CC itself is likely better than Spulen at separating oil particles. Spulen's is quite unrestricted in that regard BUT unrestricted air intakes will likely draw less direct vacuum on the TIP PCV connection so you need the most push you can get from the crankshaft port/PCV plate to make it thorough the hose, in the CC (is unrestricted best?) and on to the TIP.

Obviously, you want oil in the CC and nothing at the TIP.

Last edited:

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
Some great info here, thanks.

I bought the kit mainly as I'm running 33lbs with an XL Vortex turbo and was thinking to take some of the stress off the OEM PCV. No real track time for me, strictly street use. However, I don't want to create new issues, as the car runs great as is.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
The rough idle after fuel up is your fuel vapors being dumped on mostly cyl# 2 after idling for 10+ seconds where the N80 gets actuated. The increased vacuum of the after market plates and likely no oil blow by offsets combustion in relation to the other cylinders.

You can somewhat avoid it by leaving the has gas station and hope no red lights catch you the first couple of minutes so you can be on load, avoid the N80 valve actuation full time and drain the fuel vapors in a sort of spaced out manner as to not trigger so many misfires all at once.

The OEM PCV also does this but with less vacuum and a touch of blow by which likely keeps things in check with how the ECU expects it. I think at the end, you could probably reprogram the N80 behavior according to an after market plate, but who is going to do that...
See what about just completely removing the hose from the n80 to the plate and plugging the plate? As in let the fuel vapors from the n80 just vent to atmosphere. Also my racingline setup still allows oil in the turbo inlet so im not sure what's up with that

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My '19 came with the BL plate, and I definitely have issues at 30psi on a vortex. Definitely putting my v2 plate on before I get my XL housing on, but yeah, super curious to see if there's a plate-only version of this I could try.
You must have an R? My 19 GTI didn't come with the BL pcv.

I track on 200tw tires, stg1 EQT tune, and BL solved smoking issue for now.

You guys with hybrids, running high boost, or 100tw or lower tires will need more than the BL PCV to solve your issues. Good luck and let us know what works.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The APR CC itself is likely better than Spulen at separating oil particles. Spulen's is quite unrestricted in that regard BUT unrestricted air intakes will likely draw less direct vacuum on the TIP PCV connection so you need the most push you can get from the crankshaft port/PCV plate to make it thorough the hose, in the CC (is unrestricted best?) and on to the TIP.
I'm a fan of the spulen in particular because they sell the plate standalone and I can mount/route whatever can I like. I'm very much not a fan of the motor mount location for the can. Using the ECS can for now since the have sensible mounting and a good drain off the shelf, but long term I'd like a true AOS.

You guys with hybrids, running high boost, or 100tw or lower tires will need more than the BL PCV to solve your issues. Good luck and let us know what works.
Yes, later build date too IIRC. Starting to feel like this is the main achille's heel on this platform, hopefully APR has developed a decent solution here.
See what about just completely removing the hose from the n80 to the plate and plugging the plate? As in let the fuel vapors from the n80 just vent to atmosphere. Also my racingline setup still allows oil in the turbo inlet so im not sure what's up with that
Dumping fuel vapors into a hot engine bay doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Dumping fuel vapors into a hot engine bay doesn't sound like a great idea to me.
I really didn't think the engine bay temps were hot enough to ignite fuel vapors as long as it stays away from the turbo

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
My opinion is that APR and Spulen V2 are the only two worth buying. For aftermarket plates anyhow. I say this based on the OEM PCV white papers, my own experience with the V2 and what so far seems to be APRs attempt. I don't understand how the RL made it this far to be honest. Never understood how they pulled off blocking the crankshaft ventilation port AND on top of that, run higher boost pressures....

well I went ahead and put my order in with one of the local shops here in Denver (could get online a bit cheaper but like giving the local guys the biz sometimes). Your insight/feedback was enough to throw me over the edge. I'll have a BNIB Racingline CC with a custom (bottom) valved drain kit up for sale here shortly. I have to imagine the APR CC along with the iABED baffled oil pan should be a great solution

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Have you noticed any difference with the baffled oil pan. I was looking into one for track use but then saw that all the TCR cars run the same one as a regular MK7. They also are pulling way more Gs than I ever will

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

I switched to the BL part last year and didn't have any issues until a practice course this year with a long right hand 180. Not sure if there was smoke, but I got the familiar sound of what happens when oil gets in the combustion chamber. I may have to go back to a CC, I don't want to take my chances blowing oil all inside my new intercooler.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Have you noticed any difference with the baffled oil pan. I was looking into one for track use but then saw that all the TCR cars run the same one as a regular MK7. They also are pulling way more Gs than I ever will

Still waiting for it from iABED. I ordered it from them middle of March. They were supposed to be welding up a new batch last week, but don't know if that happened or not. I have to follow up again next week to see where things are at.